The Invitation

Not Like Everyday

"Don't take the wrong road. Don't follow the wrong signal. Don't listen to your head. Take the right road. Follow the right signal. Listen to your heart."

 

Hyuna's eyes shot open. Her head ached, but then she was able to sit up. When she sat up, she felt something wet on the back of her hand. She stared at it, only to find her tears spilling from her eyes. She smiled a bit, and then remembered what she had just heard.

That was an old message her father had given her…right before he passed away.

 

That morning, Hyuna dragged her feet to class. She wasn't in the mood to flirt with Joon, nor was she in the mood to make some rude comments to Yoona. She felt sick, even though she wasn't. She could've skipped school, but then her mother was having a small party. Hyuna never really liked her mother's parties, which always consisted of her mother's friends and lots of alcohols.

"Hey Hyuna, did you get it?" Hyuna turned around, only to see Taecyeon giving her a worried expression. "Wait, before you answer, are you okay?"

Hyuna gave Taecyeon a small smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. Anyways, get what?"

Taecyeon examined Hyuna for a moment, and then pulled out a white envelope from his back pocket. He waved it in front of Hyuna until she snatched the envelope away.

"It's an invitation to Joon's party. You have to make quick reservations. Even though he's inviting the whole school, he wants to know who's coming and who's not," Taecyeon said. Hyuna frowned, and then quickly opened her locker. She searched through her messy locker, trying to find if Joon had slipped an invitation in her locker.

Nothing.

"I-I don't…" Hyuna glanced around, as a small group of girls stared at Hyuna. She finally bit her bottom lips, and then smiled to Taecyeon. "I have it. Don't worry. Make your reservation quick!"

"Shouldn't you be the one to be calling Joon right now–"

"I don't have my phone," Hyuna lied again.

"That's not like you–"

"Oh, will you shut up and go? I have some business to take care of," Hyuna hissed. Taecyeon grumbled something and then walked away. Hyuna turned around to find the group of girls, but the suspicious group was gone. She bit her bottom lips, and clenched her fist.

I have a feeling that those girls were the one who stole my invitation card, Hyuna thought.

 

During lunch, Hyuna was able to find the group of girls who had stolen her card. When she met these girl's faces, she almost went pale. The girls she had encountered was a few, crazy fangirls of Joon. Hyuna her bottom lips, and stared at the girls. 

This is gonna get ugly.

"Give me back my invitation from Joon," Hyuna demanded. The three girls stopped chatting among themselves and turned their heads like a freaky doll. Jiyeon, the prettiest of them, tilted her head.

"Your what? Invitation? From Joon?" Jiyeon asked innocently. Hyuna clenched her teeth.

"You know what I'm talking about. I saw you earlier, Jiyeon. You were with Eunjung and Hyomin earlier at my locker," Hyuna said, raising her voice a bit. Eunjung flipped her short, black hair and narrowed her eyes at Hyuna.

"You think we want to do anything with Joon? I'm not even his fan," Eungjung snapped rudely.

"So am I! I don't care about Joon," Hyomin agreed.

"How about Jiyeon here? Isn't she, like, the vice president of the Joon fan club?" Hyuna questioned. Eunjung and Hyomin exchanged nervous glances, as Jiyeon smiled at Hyuna softly.

"Hyuna, we have no idea what you're talking about. Just leave us alone–"

"Give me back my invitation."

"What invitation?"

"My invitation. I know you stole it. Maybe guys can't read that innocent face of yours, Jiyeon, but I can. You're such a liar," Hyuna hissed. Jiyeon grinned, and flipped her hair with her hand.

"Pft. Me? A liar? I'm sorry, but I'm being a liar is way better than being some kind of flirt. I mean, Joon only likes pure, smart girls like me," Jiyeon pointed out. Hyuna bit her bottom lips, and felt a sharp pain stab her heart. She kept calm, and rubbed her nape.

"Just hurry up and give me back my invitation card," Hyuna demanded again. Jiyeon, who was getting furious with Hyuna's stubborn demand, was about to scream at her before a familiar girl stepped in the scene.

"Just give the envelope back. What's the point of stealing it? Everyone in the school is going to be invited." Hyuna slightly gasped, and turned around. There stood Yoona, who was frowning at Jiyeon, Eunjung, and Hyomin. Jiyeon scoffed, and stood up from her seat.

"I'm telling you, we didn't steal anything–"

"You had to ask Taecyeon about Hyuna's locker combination. Without knowing, Taecyeon had accidentally spilled out Hyuna's combination number, and you took advantage. Hyomin spotted Joon slipping in a piece of paper into Hyuna's locker, and thinking that it was a love-letter, she told you, Jiyeon, and Eunjung about it. Three of you guys decided to snatch away the envelope before Hyuna could get her hands on it. Now you have the envelope hidden in your pocket, and you're not planning to give it to Hyuna. This is all correct, yes?" Yoona questioned. Hyuna watched Yoona speak with a calm, but powerful voice. The message clearly got through the three girl's head. Jiyeon was as white as snow, Eunjung was shaking as if she committed a guilty crime, and Hyomin was squirming around, avoiding eye-contact. Suddenly, Jiyeon stood up and glared at Yoona. She slipped out a blue envelope from her pocket, and threw it at Yoona.

"It's all here, okay? It's all yours! Sheesh! You're such a creepy, Yoona! This is why no one likes you! You're too nosy! You get into people's business!" Jiyeon snapped.

"The next thing you would do is tell some kind of secret we have aloud," Eunjung added.

"We have our own personal lives! Why do you have to tell everyone their most inner, deepest thoughts and feelings to others?" Hyomin chimed in. The three glared at Yoona, and took off before Yoona could say anything else. Yoona paused, sighed, and bent down to pick up the envelope. She handed it to Hyuna, who cautiously accepted the envelope.

Suddenly, Yoona broke into a grin. "You better keep that safe. The whole school wants to V.I.P. envelope!"

Hyuna blinked her eyes. "…You helped me."

"So? I should help you. You were being…weak," Yoona said, not sure what to tell Hyuna. Hyuna blushed, and looked away as Yoona gave her a serious look. "But really, you shouldn't tell anyone about your locker combination."

"Oh, don't worry. I'm not telling anyone about my locker combination anymore. I'm totally gonna kill Taec," Hyuna grunted.