In the Past

Not Like Everyday

On Saturday, Yoona woke up from the sounds of honking. She groaned and drowsily sat up. She yawned, stretched, and slipped on her slippers. She walked towards her window, wondering what was going on down there. Her eyes widened when she saw the popular kingka, waiting for her to come down. Joon was wearing a white t-shirt with a brown, leathered jacket. He was wearing worn-out jeans, with white sneakers. He touched up his blonde hair with gel, making it look slick and cool.

"What the…Joon, is that you?" Yoona called. Joon grinned and looked above. He leaned against his silver Mercendes Benz. 

"Yep!" Joon answered. "Why don't you change and come down? I'll take you somewhere!"

"Where?" Yoona asked. A smirk appeared on Joon's lips.

"Somewhere fun," he hollered back. Yoona frowned.

"I don't know. I mean, I should study for the upcoming test–"

"Yoona, you know that you don't have to study," Joon pointed out.

"But–"

"Get dressed. I'll be waiting here."

"Why don't you come in?"

"Nah, I'm good," Joon replied. Yoona frowned.

"I insist–"

"Hurry up and just get ready," Joon exclaimed. Yoona sighed and pouted. She quickly gathered her clothes, locked herself in the bathroom, and twisted the knobs of the shower.

What's he up to this time? Yoona wondered.

 

When Yoona came down to meet Joon, Joon couldn't help but drop his mouth open. There she was, hanging her damp hair loosely for it to dry in the sun. She was simply wearing a jaguar-patterned dress with a black belt around her hips. She wore black leggings and black heeled boots.  

"Sorry I came down so late," Yoona replied, panting. "I normally get up early, but since this was so sudden, I wasn't prepared…"

"It's fine," Joon replied. He motioned Yoona to follow him in his car. "Get it."

"I prefer not to–"

"C'mon, Yoona. The place where I'm about to take you will take a long time."

"B-But–"

Joon sighed and pushed Yoona into his car. He pulled her seatbelt over her, making her blush a bit. Once Joon heard a clicking noise, he pulled back, closed the door, and quickly jogged to the other side so that he can get in and drive. He hopped in his car and started the engine.

"Make yourself comfortable," Joon said.

"Then can I get out of this car–"

"No," Joon replied sharply. Yoona scowled and crossed her arms.

"I don't like riding cars," Yoona muttered. Joon frowned.

"Why not?" he asked. Yoona sighed and looked out the window. A small frown appeared on her face.

"It's complicated," she started. Joon stared at Yoona for a moment, and then began drive away from the sidewalk. He occasionally glanced at Yoona, who looked pale and scared. Beads of cold sweat covered her forehead, as she gripped tightly against her seatbelt.

"This seatbelt works, right?" Yoona asked. Joon stared at Yoona, and then nodded his head. Yoona uneasily nodded her head in reply.

The ride became quiet, until Joon suddenly asked, "Yoona, what do your parents do?"

Yoona stared at Joon. "W-What do you mean?"

"Like, what's their job?" 

Yoona pressed her lips into a thin line. Then, she suddenly let out a bitter laugh. "My father died in an accident while my mother is in coma. I'm not supporting myself, though. My grandma is sending bits of money for me to pay off the house I'm living in."

Joon's eyes widened. "What?!"

"JOON! A RED LIGHT!" Yoona screamed. She covered her eyes as Joon quickly stepped on the brake. The car gave a loud screeching sound as it suddenly stopped. Yoona began to pant for air, as she tried to calm herself down. Joon just stared at the cars that were coming from the west and the ast. He couldn't believe what he just heard from Yoona's mouth.

"Your parents…Were they in a car accident?" Joon asked quietly.

"Yes! Yes they were!" Yoona cried. She wiped her own tears and began to make little hiccup noises. "I was part of the accident, and I was the only one who was okay! I don't know what happened, but all I remember was that I was sitting on my seat, blood streaming along my head. I remember my mom and my dad going into sleep when the ambulance came. I…I…"

Yoona stopped crying with Joon gently patted Yoona's lap. She sniffed and turned to Joon, who gave her a gentle stare, like how a mother would look at her daughter.

"Yoona, do you trust me?" Joon asked.

"What is it now, Joon?" Yoona sobbed. "Can't you turn around and let me go home?"

"Do you trust me?" Joon repeated. Yoona shrugged.

"I don't know. I surely don't trust this car–"

"Do. You. Trust. Me." Yoona stared at Joon for a moment. Then, she slowly nodded her head, telling him that she really trusted him. He smiled softy and grabbed her hands.

"Then I promise that I won't get into a car accident, arraso?" Joon swore. Yoona sniffed once more and then stared at Joon. After a few more minutes, she nodded her head again.

"A-Arraso…" she whispered. When the light went green, Joon went straight ahead. The whole time, Yoona was gripping onto his hand, afraid that she would get into an accident any minute. 

In Joon's heart, though, he was secretly glad that Yoona trusted him. He didn't know why he was so happy, but then he began to realize how his heart was racing as Yoona continued to grab onto Joon's hand. He began to feel a bit nervous, but he tried to keep his cool.