Episode 66

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

마지막 회 

#FINALE

 

 

 

The words I couldn't say... I love you.

Everyone is in a jubilant mood celebrating the official union of Jaejin and Yuna, well, almost everyone. She and her group of friends occupy a table in the corner, instead of dancing with the bride and groom they attempt to revive Yejin's spirit.

On behalf of her family, Yejin showed gratitude by inviting Kyungsoo's team members to the wedding. She was further introduced to Baekhyun, Sehun and couple Jongdae and Jae In. Together, they enlighten her with their works and apparently their current mission trying to unite Yejin and Woohyun.

They belong to a team called Cupid? Their job is sort of like matchmaking but Jae In said they work behind the scenes. I'm not sure how that works but at least their presence explained a few things.

Too bad. I don't have any single friend to recommend them to. My love life has also become a mess. Sigh.

"You tried your best until the end. I'm proud of you." Seolhee plays her role boosting Yejin's spirit with encouragements.

"Cheer up." Sungkyu adds his remark. "Your grandma has more candidates lined up for you. Pick one or pick Hoya." He says, despite aware of the latter's present daggering stares including Yejin's.

Hoya unexpectedly accepted his suggestion, nodding his approval. “Sure. Seolhee, you can also come to me if Sungkyu upsets you.” He said casually as sipping his wine next to Yejin.

Seolhee gave him a smile, playing along as occasionally she enjoys the affection and it paid off. Sungkyu quickly puts his arms around her, showing Hoya their engagement ring on Seolhee’s finger. “You see this? Don’t even think about it.”

My friend in-law looks so cute when he’s jealous. Yejin let out a silent chuckle, wondering if Woohyun ever looked like that when he thought of her. One thing for sure, he gets temperamental when he does and so did her. The habit became a must when liking someone.

No. Today is an auspicious, happy day no matter what happened.

I had my chances and I took it. I tried to stop him from leaving, didn’t I? Things don’t turn out the way I hoped but I’m totally okay with it.

Can I tell you a secret?

“Unni! The bride is going to throw the bouquet.” Eunjin approaches her sister with the announcement, immediately pulling her out of her seat though Yejin was less than willing in her current mood. “Seol?” She calls Seolhee for support.

“Sorry,” Her best friend apologetically smiles. That’s right. Sungkyu reminds her of the ring Seolhee’s wearing.

“Let’s go.” Yuri got up on her feet first, urging Yejin to follow her in participation as Jae In and Seolhee were officially taken, teasingly ignoring Sungyeol by her side. “You haven’t proposed to me yet,” She winked at her boyfriend before moving away to the dance floor with Yejin.

“Is it okay for you to say that?” Yejin whispers, eyeing Sungyeol from behind. Yuri simply smiles. “I’m playing hard to get. You should try it sometimes.” 

On who? The guy she confessed to have gone for the second time. They came to the middle of the ballroom where all the single ladies gathered hoping to be blessed by the newlyweds by catching the bridal bouquet.

Personally, I think it’s a fun activity. Whoever catches the bouquet is said to be the next one to walk down the aisle or in other sense gets lucky in the love department.

Flowers are a much better choice. You know back in medieval Europe, the bridal dress is a symbol of good luck so everyone would chase her around to get a piece of her dress. Today, the bride just throws her bouquet since flowers symbolize fertility. Gosh, I can’t imagine a pretty dress being ripped apart.

But this gets really competitive and violent. I’m scared. “Are you sure you want to do this?” She whispers to Yuri once more who’s getting herself ready to jump in her high heels. The latter nods eagerly. “I’ve always wanted to try this. You don’t see this in a high-end wedding.” She winked, joined by Eunjin whom Yejin deemed too young to be thinking of marriage. The three temporarily linked arms, forming a ‘wall’ similar to soccer players ready for a penalty shoot. And they told me catch a bouquet. How am I supposed to when I’m not free to move?

“Here we go, ladies!” Detective Kim, the groom’s colleague and today’s emcee signals the start with a countdown. Yuna’s back faces them, now ready to toss the bouquet.

“In three, two, one!”

Off they went, up in the air yet her bouquet descends nowhere near the the girls, perhaps Yuna miscalculated its trajectory? The purple peonies landed on a pair of leather shoes behind them, its owner picking up the boquuet as everyone curious of his arrival.  

Yejin fell forward but she managed to find balance, mentally scolding whoever gave her a push just now. Thanks a bunch. She regains her composure, standing before him cautiously as all eyes were currently on them.

“What are you doing here?” sounds rhetorical. “I thought you left,” She spoke as only loud enough to be heard by the other person.

For your information, I send him off earlier. I confessed to him but I let him go, again. Now I feel dumb.

He nodded. “I did. I was already at the airport.”

Did he come back for me? His reply indirectly hints a change of heart, fluttering her inside though the reason seems too good to be true. “Oh,” She dismisses her thought as everyone else kept sending signals through their desperate glances.  Alright, alright! This is not as easy as it looks! “Can I have that back?” Her right arm extends towards Woohyun asking for the bouquet.

“They’re doing it again.” Sehun spoke among the audience, pointing out a common frustration whenever their targets seen converse telepathically or in other words do nothing but look at each other. “Hyung, should I?” The youngest member whispers his suggestion to Jongdae. The elder shook his head.

Meanwhile, Woohyun casually nods, giving the bouquet random to one of the random participants he finds. “Good luck.” He said to her before returning to Yejin.

“There’s something I want to show you.” He said.

 

 

 

 = = = = = = =

 

 

 

Yejin stares at the white sand spread before her, open water, flying seagulls and vast horizon for a very long time; pondering the difference between this image and the one captured in her memory, if there’s really any. “I see nothing,” She chose to be honest, pursing her lips together in that manner.

“I wrote something over there.”

Write? Her gaze follows where his finger pointed at, towards the seashore where the water glistens under the afternoon sun. It must be in small letters, she deduced knowing from self-habit of tendency to feel insecure about exposing secrets. 

The water approaches where she stopped yet not close enough to wet her feet. It seems the safest distance to carve a few words on the sand without being erased.

Again, Yejin let her eyes do the searching for Woohyun’s handwriting even bending her knees while at it.

After awhile her curiosity ceases completely. The sand looks pretty untouched no matter how far she went. Ah, I give up.

As for Woohyun, he watches her anxiously. Her diligence was a brief distraction while he chants encouragement for himself before he takes another step. His eyes never leave her.  The real cue is when Yejin gets back on her feet.  

“Do you have to write it so small? There’s no one here but-“

Her eyes grew twice its

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter