Episode 31

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : How can you not melt when a guy looks at you like this? 😍😍 

 

 

제31회 

 

 

 

 

Hongdae is known for its youthful and romantic ambience, underground cultures and also freedom of self-expression. This place is a popular hangout for local youths. A fascinating place to walk around, Hongdae offers unique cafes, cozy galleries, accessory stores, fashion shops, art markets, gourmet eateries, you name it.

These atrractions plus the cultural events, street performances and festivals held here packed Hongdae with people and excitement.

"Hongdae!" He channels his enthusiasm, hoping Yejin would feel the same. He peeked at the girl walking next to him.

Being bright and bubbly was Yejin's specialty. Not as the happy virus, but close to sunshine; it was what he would describe Yejin. A smile of hers is enough to brighten up anyone's day. His day at most.

Hongdae has it all.

Except for solution to Hoya ignoring me. I'm running out of the ideas. The thought of her neighbor had her mind occupied all day long. It's like I'm walking in circles. Ugh!

Flowers  He spotted a flower shop attracting him with colorful fresh flowers. Girls love flowers. Surely it will cheer her up. "Come on," Woohyun led her to the door, both welcomed by array of daisies and roses displayed in the middle of the shop.

It worked. She let go of his hand, wandering around the shop to admire the flowers. While Yejin was on his own, he took his time to look around as well.

Daisies, orchids, lilies, carnations, roses et cetera, all of them portray variety of emotions. Lilies for grief, roses for love, daisies for innocence and baby breaths for festivity; he read about them before. Flowers are one way to convey a message for that special someone.

"Buying flowers for your pretty girlfriend, sir?"  The florist offers a friendly smile. Girlfriend. Hearing the word makes him blush. He'd buy flowers for Seolhee if they date each other for real. Woohyun scratches the back of his head sheepishly.

Pretty. Yejin thought. Being surrounded by flowers lifted her mood. Bunches of roses in different colors attracted her the most. The alluring fragrance captivates her through the soft petals when she inhales its scent. Although I'm a big fan of roses, I am not fond with the red ones.

No particular reason. Just prefer other colors, that's all.

It only occured to her that Woohyun was no longer in the shop. Where did he go? Yejin hurries to the door, hoping to catch a glimpse of Woohyun outside. Panic came rushing in, having difficulties to go anywhere without him. He has my car keys. Woohyun offered to drive her car earlier.

In the midst of anxiety, a single pink rose appeared in front of her. Oh my... Yejin tried her best not to let her weakening limb takes over and fall on the sidewalk. ...God! The owner of the rose was Woohyun, standing there with- Screw him. I am blushing like an idiot right now! Yejin bit her lip dangerously. Woohyun should be sweeping Seolhee off her feet, not mine!

"Did you like it that much?"

"Zip it. You're ruining the moment." Her sheepish grin turned into a sulk, however much to his amusement. Seeing her gloominess washed away succesfully rewarded him with pride. Finally, he made her smile.

The truth is, it was her first time getting a flower from a guy. It would be a lie to say she wasn't touched by it.

"The florist said I should give flowers to my girlfriend." He spoke, taking the rose from her hand and added it to the final touch; a bouquet of white and pink roses.

White rose for sincerity; her willingness to be with him through his ups and downs.

Pink rose for appreciation or admiration. A girl like her deserves to love and to be loved. Any guy would be lucky to have her.

"Yejin..."

"I'm touched." She lifted her gaze, staring deep into his eyes. They stayed like that for awhile, ignoring the world around them. Woohyun haven't noticed it before. Yejin owned a pair of lovely brown eyes. Somehow the fact mesmerized him.

Holding the bouquet in her hand, she took a step forward. "Woohyun, I love you."

He ran out of words.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

The maids rushed to the door to welcome her home. They managed to open it on time, accustomed to Yuri's schedule. The heiress enters, passing her suitcase and long coat to the maids."President Kwon is waiting for you, Miss." The eldest maid, Yongsun informed her.

What now? She headed towards the stairs, having no intention to greet her father. Her argument with Sungkyu led to nothing but frustration. Despite all her efforts to claim his heart, Seolhee and Yejin deemed to be a tough obstacle. "Yuri."

She never liked that tone. It’s the tone he uses for interrogating people, whether his subordinates or his own daughter. After years of living in the household, she adapted to keeping some things to herself. “Yes, father.”

“How was your relationship with Director Kim?”

“We’re in a good progress.” She replied nonchalantly.

The table slam startled her, making her flinch and causing her to shut her eyes. After all, he’s still her father. “What progress when he is seeing another girl? Do you think this is a joke?” Eventually, the intimidating voice of his spreads throughout the mansion.

President Kwon rarely displays his angry side, which means when he does Yuri must be prepared to face his wrath.

“Thankfully, it seems like President Kim has not heard of this matter. If he does, he will stop the wedding and we are in jeopardy.” He paused, taking another sip of his whiskey while Yuri stands before him. They have never sat together for a proper conversation. The last time they did was before the accident. “Step up this game. Don’t mess up this time.”

“Yes, father.”

 

 

The façade continues until she closes the door to her room. Aiming for the dresser, her steps were uneven but determined. With emotions bottled up inside, she was ready to explode.

The room echoed with sounds falling bottles and cosmetics to the floor. The sound may be alarming, she didn’t care. Tears of agony, something she rarely shows to the others, rolled down her cheeks.

Why? Why? Why?! She screamed her hearts out, even without any voice coming out. The pain she had could never be described in words. She had been enduring it for so long.

She took off the ring off her finger, in similar design to his, and showed it to him. Gathering her strength, Yuri looked at him in the eye and said it.

“Let’s break up.”

She said it loud and clear, and never looked back.

The ring was in still in her possession. She kept it well in a box locked away in her private safe. Tonight, she took it out again. It was nothing fancy. They bought it at a street vendor. It was the design that attracted them, two hearts attached as one.

If only Jiyong was still here... She would never have to endure all of this. Yuri closed her eyes.

After three years, he was still there.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

“Tell me,” Yejin demanded. “Do you think I could be the next Kim Taehee?”

It turns out that her confession was purely acting. She was touched, of course, but in her mind they were still playing ‘boyfriend and girlfriend’ from teasing Eunjin at the cafĂ©. I mean, think about it. Who in the right mind would give me a bouquet anyway?

Woohyun said nothing, focusing on the road. It was best to do so, in effort to take his mind off what happened earlier.

It was random. It was spontaneous. It was unexpected. It meant nothing. It was supposed to be nothing.

So how would he explain what he felt earlier?

“Woohyun, I love you.”

The three words rang in his head over and over again, filling his mind which had blanked out ever since. A tingling sensation went through his nerves like electricity but more of a jolt. His stomach churned and at the same time he sensed giddiness.

It felt uncomfortable but pleasing at the same time, until she revealed the pretense. Which was odd, because he knew all along she was fooling around.

He’s so quiet. She took note of his unusual behavior. After spending some time playing in Hongdae, they were on their way back to CafĂ© Bloom. I had to admit, he does look cool behind the wheels. Yejin always thought a man driving is charming and Woohyun proved her theory. The bouquet rested on her lap, reminding her of the unforgettable moment.

Such a sweet guy.  The roses shall be put in a vase to decorate her room later. “So
”

“Yejin,” He called her name out of the blue. “Never do that again.” He spoke, sparing not even a glance at the passenger’s seat next to him. Instead of his previous playfulness, he told her in an oddly stri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter