Episode 54

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

제54회 

 

 

 

I can’t. I just can’t.

Woohyun was indeed a guest, but since he came unannounced, life must go on.

I went to school and left him at home. Of course, Grandma was displeased about it. I also felt bad leaving him unattended but…

After what I did last night and what happened this morning, I have no courage to face him.

I’m embarrassed to death!

“Miss Shin,” One of the students, eight year old Jinho pulled her back into reality by informing her, "There's someone looking for you." The boy told her and went back to drawing. Tae Yang went for teacher's meeting thus leaving Yejin in charge.

Who would come looking for her during school hours?

Woohyun! She ducked immediately to avoid being seen after accidentally letting out a gasp. Yejin adjusted herself to stealth mode, quietly backing away from the door and resummoned Jinho to her side. "Go tell that mister over there that I'm not here, okay?"

Sorry, Woohyun but I'm not ready to face you yet. Go. Go away!

Jinho did as he was told, tugging on Woohyun's sleeve to get his attention. It worked, the latter got down on his knees to match his level with the kid.

"Miss Shin said to tell you that she's not here."

It was when he caught her peeking from behind the door. Cute. The flustered look on Yejin was imaginable at this point. Last night's scene replays in his eyes.

He had to restrain himself from kissing her out of the blue again.

Woohyun chuckled instead. "Okay. Thanks." He patted the boy in the head once, letting him go casually. Yejin is probably hiding somewhere in the classroom waiting for him to leave.

That won't happen. He already came this far.

"Excuse me," He knocks on the door, once, then twice. "Miss Shin?" He knew Yejin was listening despite immersed in 'guiding' one of the students in drawing or in reality she was pretending not to hear him coming.

What do you expect? I'm already caught. The least I could do is to keep my face on. I can't lose!

"Your grandma fainted."

"What?!"

A smirk was the way he celebrates for gaining her attention. Aside from the joy of teasing her, seeing Yejin reluctantly admit her defeat in a rather childish manner was purely amusing. The children seemed to be on his side too. Their giggles fill the room in support of Woohyun's succesful trick.

"That's mean." Towards her students and Woohyun, she gave them a sulky glare. The students fell for it but not Woohyun. "That's for leaving without breakfast." He spoke, finally revealing what he brought with him, self packed lunch or should I say brunch.

That does reminds me, I'm hungry.

 

 

 

Okay, I do regret leaving the house without finishing my breakfast now. These are amazing! Not a word spoken to him yet, Yejin indulges a bowl of rice, marinated beef and bean paste stew. “Was it good?”

She nodded, the answer satisfies Woohyun.  Grandma Shin packed for two but seeing her was enough to fill his stomach. It has been awhile since he last saw the old Yejin sitting in front of him, the girl whom he first met; nonchalant, carefree and innocent. A secret smile bloomed at once.

Back to the old days, before they became friends. Maybe this is only as far as they can ever be.

“W-why are you looking at me like that? Is there s-something on my face?”

Here I go again.

“Yeah.” He placed his thumb at the right corner of her lip thus wiping the red smudge away. “There,” He his thumb after that, unknowingly Yejin caught his action and turned red. Throw away that dirty thought of yours! Grandma Shin has been getting into her head ever since, along with the other ladies from the restaurant, urging her to find a man as soon as possible. “Thanks.”

That’s it. Be cool or you’ll lose. “About yesterday, I didn’t know my grandmother took my phone and called you here. You must’ve been surprised. I’m sorry.”

He was rather grateful for the phone call. If it wasn’t for the elder, he’d probably wander aimlessly around Seoul looking for her. “I should’ve waited for you that day.  Part of the blame was on me too so, let’s just call it even. Besides…” He put down the spoon, the one she was holding. “I’m in Busan. Don’t I need a tour?”

Yejin simply grinned.

   

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

 

While Yejin stepped up to give Woohyun a tour of Busan, nothing much happened in Grandma Shin's restaurant except the group of elderly women was missing a member. The latest to join them that afternoon was Mrs. Park who showed up with her new perm.

What else would gathering elders do? Sharing stories, gossips and discussing soap operas, of course. Today's topic was about Madame Jung and her absence.

"I saw her the other day, with her grandson. You know the one who lives in Seoul? He's so good looking. I thought he'd be perfect for our Yejin."

"Mrs. Shin, where's your granddaughter? We haven't seen her around."

Also, Yejin and her problem. Yup, my 'problem'.

"There she is." Grandma Shin casually replies, pointing at the girl who just entered the restaurant. While they were initially delighted with girl, their smile grew wider seeing a guy trailing behind Yejin.

"Who's that? Is he her boyfr-"

"Nice try, Miss Gong Shim." Yejin spoke first, beating Mrs. Park to it.

Yet unlike last time, I have a better excuse.

"I know you sent Woohyun away on purpose so you don't have to go to your doctor's appointment." She crossed her arms, tapping her foot and mocking a glare like any person would do when they caught someone. See, I'm using my 'grandchild' card. That card has two sides to be used in time of need like now. "You didn't think I forg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter