Episode 55

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

제55회 

 

 

 

 

Dear Woohyun, kidnapping does not count when my grandmother knows where I’m going, who I’m going with and even promised to take me back before night time. It doesn’t work that way.

Plus, I know every inch of Busan city. See?

“This is it?” She finally asked, later disheartened by Woohyun’s secrecy. She waited the car engine to die down, coaxing herself with the feeling of gentle breeze.

Summer is almost over. The number of visitors decreased towards the end of the season but Yejin doesn’t mind. She welcomes the hovering peacefulness while fully enjoying the view.

“You like it?” He asked her.

Yejin nodded. “You could have told me that you wanted to see the ocean.”

It’s been awhile since her last visit. The beach hasn’t changed much though, she was glad for that. This place held memories of her childhood and time she spent with her late grandfather.  The good times. May he rest in peace. “Since no one is here, will you tell me what’s going on?”

Telling her the truth means passing his chance to Hoya. Telling a lie will consume his insides with guilty. Between hurting himself and hurting her, both choices weigh more in a burden.

To give up or not to give up?

Woohyun is more quiet than the usual. The Woohyun she knew speaks less than a chatterbox, yet his smile makes up his character. She saw the symptoms as when they first met, when his heart leaned towards Seolhee at first. Cheerful but- “Did you miss me, Yejin?”

Anyhow, she didn’t expect a direct hit.

I knew it! I knew it! Why did I put my arms around him? What was I thinking?!

Shin Yejin, did you forget? You turned him down for another guy. Remember who you’re going for.

Remember who am I going for.

"I miss you, Yejin."

The hushed tone of his contains pure sincerity and longing. He buried her face in his chest, locked her waist with his pair of arms and silently wishing for the world to stop moving.

He wishes to take her away, anywhere but here. Anywhere, far away from Hoya.

Why are you doing this to me?

Yejin is desperate; biting her lower lip in the need of self-restrain. This is a typical scene in TV dramas where the second lead attempts a benefit of doubt by doing things that'll make her heart waver. In this case, he reenacts what she did last night. "Woohyun..."

She would want to call his name out loud, if she dares.

"Don't you miss me, Yejin?"

I do. As much as she wanted to speak the truth, it'll only do no good when she already declared to remain 'just friends'.

I'm not going to be one of those girls who dumped a guy and later says I want him back. That's just cruel.

She released herself eventually, feeling traces of warmth lingering on her skin. "Truth to be told, I'm glad you're here. I have no one to talk to." Yejin moves closer towards the water; her back facing him so he would miss her expression.

The sea held many of her secrets. Let it wash away this one too.

"Have you tried writing your name on the sand? Did you know you can also write down all your troubles and watch it disappear in the waves? My grandfather taught me when I was little. It works all the time and fun to do."

However, Woohyun’s reaction is nothing more than a raised eyebrow. Okay. Ignore me and the nonsense. She tries not to laugh out loud of the awkwardness. Me and my nervous habits. It’s a surprise that she had that until now; rambling continuously for the purpose of topic diversion. I don’t know why I’m acting like the old days. It must be something I ate. “Here, I’ll show you.” Continuing her tactic, Yejin brought him down to the sand in order to write down an example of sentence.

 I am lonely. She wrote it on the sand. The water came in, back to the sea and the writing fades. “See? Now, you try.”

The wooden stick goes to Woohyun and he starts writing. Yejin waits as the words begin to form its meaning.

I am lonely without you.

The words disappear together with the waves.  

 

 

 

 

= = = = = = = 

 

 

 

As for those back in Seoul, their lives go by the norms even though two of their peers went missing in action. Seolhee manages her business with assistance of Jaehun, re-distributing their tasks to make up for Woohyun’s absence. Other employers would’ve been less understanding but Seolhee regards them more than her employees. They are her friends and brothers she never had. 

“It’s not the same.” Yugyeom sighed first, releasing his frustration as he puts his tray on the counter. “I miss Yejin noona and Woohyun hyung. When will they come home?” He whines openly, more childish than a nineteen year old teenager would. After all, the youngest boy was the closest to Yejin since they first introduced to each other.

“Give them some time. They’ll sort it out. “ Jaehun exits the kitchen right after Kyung Il following him who carries a tray of freshly baked buns. At times like these, Seolhee prefers to spend time in the kitchen perfecting her recipes. Instead, Jaehun was given the task to run the counter. “Maknae, don’t you have exam coming up?  Seolhee asked me to let you go early. Wrap things up and go home.” He relayed the message as he was told. While arranging the buns, Kyung Il chose to linger as he found interest in their conversation.

“Poor Yejin noona. She doesn’t deserve that Hoya guy. Woohyun hyung is ten times better! Don’t you agree?”

“Hoya seems okay to me.” Ja

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter