Episode 32

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

제32회 

 

 

 

"Hoya?" His eyes were forced to open, chasing away the imaginary scenario of earlier occurence. Instead of engulfing her in his arms, she was actually right behind him.

He just pictured himself kissing Yejin.

"Are you okay? Your face is really red..." She placed her palm on his forehead to sense any fever. While doing so, his eyes focused on her features. He saw her up close before, a few times to be exact. But it was only this time he admires everything; long eyelashes, blush colored cheeks and cherry pink lip gloss she's wearing. Whether it's cherry or not, there's only one way to tell.

No. It can't be. I'm not falling for- Hoya walked past her, brushing their shoulders in the process.

He looked away from her and it didn't make him feel any better.

He was forced to halt by a tug on his sleeve. Turning back to face her, he was greeted by Yejin's puppy eyes.

"You're not mad at me anymore, are you?"

It wasn't just her puppy eyes and her pleading voice. It's the way she talks a lot when she's nervous, how she smiles from ear to ear in a joyous mood or even how her cheeks turn red when she's flustered, and even how she did everything just to make it up to someone. The innocence in her voice reflecting her kind soul triggered the urge to protect her from any harm.

It was everything about her.

“Hey, wait-“ The door was shut to her face. Again. Yejin blew a huff, this time really displeased with his attitude. What is up with this guy? Looks okay for one minute but the next minute he turns grouchy back and forth.

She counted days for his return and spent the whole morning yesterday preparing the cake in hope that they will reconcile. After all, he saved her once. Now he refused to talk to her for something she has yet to comprehend. Why am I crying? Yejin wiped the tear at the corner of her eyes. Stop crying! She was truly, truly upset.

 “Fine!” She let her voice out at the door caring less whether he’s listening from the other side or not. “Do whatever you want. I’ve had it with you!” She tried to hold it in, not wanting him to hear her sniffle.

“And don’t you dare throw the cake away, Lee Howon! I mean it!” After letting her discontentment, he picked up the sounds of her marching steps and the next door shut loudly. Even without seeing her, he could imagine the disappointment in her eyes. With that, he let out a long sigh.        

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

While Yejin deals with her riddle of emotions, Seolhee had an issue on her own.

Dramas would not be complete without the opposing parents. By parents, I mean the rich ones. They raise their kids with finer things in life and expect them to obey everything. They always have the best for their child and those who did not meet their standards will not be tolerated.

Well, in Seolhee’s case, it’s his grandparents. Good luck.

It’s been almost half an hour since Seolhee sat in the same position and her legs had grown numb. She dared not to move a muscle, not even muttering a single word. The presence of the old woman in front of her was full of elegance yet dominant spreads in the room. “I was told you are the girl that my grandson is dating, Baek Seolhee, correct?”

She nodded.

“You own a café, recently opened earlier this year, correct?”

She nodded again.

“Do you know that my grandson has been arranged to marry an heiress in the near future?”

On the contrary, she shook her head.

The old woman sipped her coffee slowly, doing it with poise. Dressed in pearls and designer clothes, wrinkles were not able to hide her ageless beauty. Indeed a Madame.

A thick envelope appears on the desk put in front of Seolhee. It didn’t take long for her to figure it out. The bulge contains cash. Offering their money to the poor girl to force her end her relationship. Typical rich people. Seolhee may be poor, but my friend has a big heart!

What are you doing, Seol? Shut her up. She’s insulting you!

Unlike an heiress, Seolhee lives only with his father who is a school teacher in Kangwon. She worked several part time jobs to support herself in college. Dreaming to open up her own café, she started saving up since high school and accomplished doing so after graduated from college.

Seolhee shoved the envelope back to its owner. She showed neither confidence nor guilt on returning it. “I’m afraid I have to say no.”She showed no fear, actually gathering her courage to face Sungkyu’s grandmother.

“Was it not enough? I’m willing to add up the amount. Name your price.” The Madame showed no signs of backing down. She had a gentle smile but one must not be judged by their appearances. “With this money, you can improve your business. I’m here to help you.”

Despite the consequences, Seolhee has decided. “I sincerely like Sungkyu. I really do.” She rose from her seat, bowing to Madame Yoon for the last time. “But I will stop seeing Sungkyu only when he tells me to.”

Phew. I was afraid she’s going to throw water at her or something. Well done, my girl!

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

He grabbed her wrist, hoping she would turn around. “But why?”

She faced him anyway, looking at him not as the way she used to. The deafening sound of thunder warned them of the upcoming rain. She released herself from his grip. Her decision was final.

“Goodbye, Hoya.”

He hated that day. The time they spent together turned into a painful memory. She walked away just like that, ending their relationship without further explanation.

But the reason was clear. She didn’t want to be with him anymore.

The sound of something broke and fell alarmed him. it came from next door, Yejin’s apartment to be precise. Immediately, he paused typing and ran to the door. “Yejin! Yejin! Are you okay?”

It took a while for the door to open. Within the time, he was already surrounded in panic. What if she fell? What if she got hit by something? What if-

The door opens, revealing his puzzled neighbor as he stormed in and checked the surroundings.

“Do you need anything?” She was not pleased by his intrusion, unlike her usual bright smile.

Of course she was. He gave her a cold shoulder an hour ago.

Some books scattered on the floor, possibly Yejin trying to reach the top shelf. Jumping should allow her to do so, except her injured ankle might be restricting her movement.

“If there’s nothing else, please leave. I’m busy.” That tone, he didn’t like it all. He’d prefer her endless talking or her persistent friendliness. His lip went dry as his voice failed to project her name out loud.

He missed her smile and playfulness in every sentence.

He tasted the cake she made. It tasted sweet but not too sweet, just the way he likes it. Cheese fillings were a surprise but it didn’t bother his non-sweet preference. It was put in a fair amount and balances the yam flavor.

For the first time ever, Hoya thought about calling or texting her. He wanted to tell her that he liked the cake. He wanted an excuse to see her or merely hear her voice.

He had grown fond of her presence.      

They were so happy. They were content with the way they were as long as they have each other.

Walking down the street, their fingers interlaced as they exchanged stories of their day. She casually leaned her head on his should

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter