Episode 16

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

제16회 

 

 

 

Picking up where we left off, me and Woohyun are at the workshop. Apart from the flat tyre, they also service my car. Now my car looks brand new. Thanks to Woohyun’s friend, who owns the workshop, and Woohyun.

Even so, there’s still one thing bothering me.

Woohyun.

“Aren’t you going to tell me?” Woohyun looked at her with curiosity. “Something about Seolhee is bothering you.” She deduced casually, still nibbling on her ice-cream cone. The two walks side by side along the park. Since the car still needs some more work, Yejin left it back at the workshop and here they are.

Aish, this guy. “Come on. I won’t bite.” She nudged his arm playfully. No one can resist my persuasion. In three, two, one. “Alright.” He sighed. Hearing that, she motioned him towards a nearby bench. She leaned against the bench and took another bite on her ice-cream as she waited for him to speak.

“I saw them.”

“Cherry blossoms.” He hit the brakes and parked on the roadside. He had just dropped Yejin off and on his way home when he saw the flowers. It was the beginning of spring. The cherry blossoms are falling from the trees beautifully like snow.

They were beautiful. “Seolhee.” He muttered her name under his breath. She would’ve love seeing this. He took his phone and clicked on the ‘record’ button.

Until he saw Seolhee and Sungkyu.

“Oh dear. I’m sorry.” Yejin softened her gaze. She had no idea he was there. Perhaps, they also were not aware of his presence. She felt bad for him to witness the kiss.

Woohyun remained silent. He remembered everything clearly; how his knees weakened in seconds and his lips quivering as his hope shattered into million pieces. He let out another deep sigh. He lost her to another guy. To an unexpected guy, Kim Sungkyu.

This is common. Seolhee had a lot of suitors. Of course she can’t possibly date them all. Heartbreaks are bound to happen. Only one guy gets girl. It seems Woohyun is not the one. Although I’d prefer him as my ‘friend in-law’ than Sungkyu.

Don’t tell him I said that.  

Slowly she patted his back to give him comfort. “It’s okay. Some things are not meant to be.” In the midst of it, the light bulb lit on top of her head. “I got an idea.” She announced, throwing away her ice-cream cone into the dustbin. “Come with me.”

“Where to?” He asked. Yejin replied with a wide grin while grabbing his hand.  

“Let’s go have some fun.”

 

Where do you think we went? Are you curious?

I’ll give you a hint. It has something to do with ending up with a sore throat.

 “I’ll make you comfortable; yeah… at least I can for you… Three, two, one! Be mine…! I love you, okay? I worry about you, okay? I’ll take care of you until the end… Come on, Yejin!”

“Let’s go together, don’t walk onto the hard path, okay? It wasn’t easy, right? I don’t want to see you like that ever again…!” Yejin ends with a high note attempt and a big huff. Clearly I was not born with a singing talent. Woohyun clapped for encouragement at the end of the song. The only thing to do is to wait until the result comes out and… “Well done. You’re a star.” The robotic announcement led to cheering Woohyun and Yejin. They gained 88 marks from the karaoke machine singing to ‘Be Mine’.   

Yeah, you guessed it. I brought him to a noraebang. In English, that stands for karaoke room. I thought that maybe singing might cheer him up. It always works for me. 

Well, it turns out that Woohyun is quite a singer. I’m surprised he chose to serve coffee instead of going onstage. He’s a better singing partner than Seolhee. 

For the record, I can sing. Just not that good.

They already spent an hour and a half in the room. Starting from Nothing's Over to Be Mine, they sang their hearts out in daylight. It was spontaneous yet relieving. Who knew she had this side of her. "Ah, my voice... Pass me the water." He reached for the bottle and gave it to Yejin. Woohyun watched her gulping in one shot.

Compared to Seolhee, she looks ordinary. It's not that she was unpretty, but her charm appeared through her friendliness and sincerity. They were her best qualities.

Yejin is a nice girl.

"Consider this my token of appreciation for helping me yesterday and today." She spoke, her voice  already turned hoarse. She coughed a few times before taking another sip of water, clearing after that. "Take me to Cafe Bloom, please. I'm craving for caramel macchiato,"

"Now?You just had ice-cream."

"Just one. I need my daily dose." When he refused to budge, she begged him with puppy eyes. "Just one?"

"No." He crossed his arms. She lowers her gaze in disappointment.

That's when Yejin attempted towards the door to escape. He immediately goes after her. "Yejin, wait!" Their voices echoed all the way to the main entrance.

 

While I was busy running away from Woohyun, Sungkyu and Seolhee went out on their first date. This counts as a date, right?

Yes, it does.

She pursed her lips, feeling more uncomfortable as time passes. Their hands were clasped together since they left his office, drawing attention to anyone who saw them. "Let me go," She hissed, trying to break free. The reason they end u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter