Episode 59

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제59회

 

 

 

Array of sketches pinned on the wall next to a board pasted with material samples decorated the left side of the room. The opposite side felt more casual; a customized coffee table, a sofa to accommodate short naps and a vintage signboard spelling her name. The owner of the small studio is fast asleep, taken over by exhaustion from spending the night perfecting her garment.

The door creaks open, a smile crept up to his lips at the sight of her hard work. He let out a small sigh before rolling up his sleeves. The breakfast he brought was put aside temporarily to allow him clear the table. Every movement of his was full of caution and less noise, trying his best not to disturb her peace.

He knew how she hates to leave things around. The sketches had not been colored, they are the new ones and not to be moved from its original place. Scissors, cushion pins and marking chalk were near to the mannequin to assist her while working on her piece. The rest were put back in their place and given he had been there often, the place became tidy again in no time.

"Sungyeol?"

“Good morning.” She smiles lazily, half-awake as she let out a yawn. It’s a wonder how she just woke up but the messy hair made her look more attractive, in his eyes and thoughts. The dark circles below her eyes became a point of charm if one asks Sungyeol. “You look tired.” He commented, combing strands of her hair using his fingers.

“Hmm. I finished Yuna’s dress.” The corner of her eyes points at the mannequin. “What do you think?” 

“I think you need a break.” Admiring her work is certain but his concern is more of her balancing hours between working and resting, not because she is an elite member of society.

The girl who used to live in luxury, spent her money like there’s no tomorrow and cared for nothing but herself; that girl was given up in the minute she decided to leave her family’s mansion.

The very same girl relocated herself to the Land of the Rising Sun, starting off from scratch both in career and life as doing what she loves the most.

“I’m good though. Isn’t it time to open your restaurant?”

Her smile is pure, as also the intention in her voice. He could not help but to find her pretty every time he look into her eyes. Sungyeol’s smile blooms before he leans forward, giving a peck on her lips. “What?” He responded to her gasp, satisfied by the blush on her cheeks.

He does it almost every time especially during the times she was off guard. Sometimes it wasn’t intentional but often he found her expression hard to resist.

Shocked? Me too. Sungyeol and Yuri are an item now. Not the two person I expected, but I'm starting to like this pair. They actually look good together.

Yuri is actually a nice person. Beneath that stuck-up rich girl, she's just lonely. I didn't think she and I would become friends but we did. Yuri and I are friends.

Yuri quit her job at Kwon Group, left home then migrated to Osaka. Her true passion lies in fashion design so she opened up a boutique launching her very own line.

Sungyeol has a restaurant in Osaka, second one after Tokyo and upcoming third in Busan with Sungjong as his business partner.

And it turned out Sungyeol had a longtime crush for her. Despite with everything that happened, he waited and stayed by her side. How romantic.

“Yuri,”

“Yeah?"

He once asked her when she was first brought to the foreign land. Though he intended to give her a head start, Yuri insisted to earn every penny on her own. Thus, another solution was to hire her to work at the restaurant. Sungjong was already going back and forth between Tokyo and Osaka. Sungyeol would need an extra hand.

Or rather, that was just his excuse.

Brushing her hair had become a habit. Back then, she didn’t even flinch when he did it the first time. Perhaps the gesture was something she got used to or his affection meant nothing at all.

There was one particular question reserved in his mind since that very day.

"He's going to be at the wedding." He trails off, his voice as so his embrace loosened around her. "Hoya, Yejin and the others."

A year passed without seeing Hoya in person. Yejin too, but they spoke on the phone from time to time along with Seolhee on rare occassions. Sungkyu was a different case; she had no need to stay in touch as their relation was strictly business.

They all had moved on.

She gave him a firm nod. "I'm okay."

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

"Really?"

She replies him with certainty. A man is as good as his word and so does a woman. Yejin made a promise with Hoya to meet later that day and buy him dinner but first she has plenty of time for discovering the island. Following the calculation in her head, she sets off with full anticipation.

They say it's a must to walk on the Olleh Trail, the longest path stretching out as far as 422 km surroundi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter