Episode 24

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now fully updated with the second part, for those who had partially read this chapter.

 

 

제24회 

 

 

 

 

Caramel pudding, check. Hair, check. Me, check. "Seol, do I look okay?" 

Seolhee came out of her room, looking casual in simply jeans and t-shirt, her hair donned in a ponytail. “Oh my,” They looked at each other, later broke into embarrassed laughter.

“Why are you wearing your jeans? I thought we both agreed to wear skirts tonight." Seolhee rubbed the back of her neck, sheepishly looking at Yejin and herself. Yejin looked feminine, a difference from her daily look.

Was it because of Sungyeol, Hoya or Dongwoo? 

"Sorry. I wore them just now but then I changed my mind." She explained. "Leave the skirt on. You look nice in it.”

Yejin had some doubts on her appearance, still taking sweet time eyeing herself in the mirror. I’m just going next door these days. “Don’t you think I’m overdressed?”

“No rules said you can only dress up for work. You dress to impress.” Seolhee spoke, checking her own reflection next to Yejin. Unlike their outdoor appearances, their hairstyle preferences reversed at home with Yejin letting down her hair and Seolhee putting her hair into a bun.

My hair grew longer than the last time. Yejin took the dessert and Seolhee came out last, locking the door to their apartment.

 

 

Ding! Dong!

The wait was brief until the door opened from inside. "Hi," Seolhee greeted subtly, she has yet to be more friendly with him, due to their lack of interation. Beside her was Yejin. She raised the plate she was carrying, not forgetting to greet him with a smile. “Hi, neighbor. We brought pudding.”

It wasn’t the pudding, or her sunny smile.

It was her untied hair that fell perfectly behind her shoulders. It was her t-shirt matched with skirts falling just below her knees.

It was Yejin looking like sweet girl next door. Literally.

I knew it. Too girly. I should've worn my jeans earlier. Now he's giving me that weird look.

She's blushing. Yejin is blushing. Flustered, to be exact, because of a pair of eyes belonged to Hoya piercing through Yejin. Seolhee refrains hard from grinning.

Looks like her theory may proved to be right after all. 

"May we come in?" He reacted a second late, giving space for Seolhee and Yejin to enter his apartment.

Flowers. A floral scent invaded his senses when Yejin passes by. Pleasant and mild, oddly strong enough to urge him to jump.

Stop. This is unappropriate. He doesn't check girls out, especially his own neighbor. "Nice!" Dongwoo exclaimed, stealing Yejin as soon as she puts down the dessert. The skirt she was wearing showed movement while Dongwoo happily twirled her in the living room. "Oppa, you're making me dizzy." She stumbled, but Dongwoo was quick enough to save her from falling.

"T-thanks..." Her cheeks turned red, not used to such skinship.

 

 

Seolhee offered to lend a  hand in the kitchen, earning some alone time with Sungyeol. It was uncalled for, but she figured it would be better than staying with Dongwoo and Hoya. Yejin got along better with them, as she always did. There were times she wished for tiny bit of Yejin's boldness.

She cleared , quietly taking plates of dishes from Sungyeol. The latter put away his apron, ruffling the front part of his hair. Despite the messy hair, he looks good as ever.

Mustering up courage, she spoke first. "You're leaving tomorrow, huh?" Sungyeol turned to her, instinctively averting her gaze. How come Yejin not affected by that? She ensures no blushing and mentally reminding herself not to stutter, she faces him again, attempting a smile.

He smiled back. She did it. "Yeah. My brother kept telling me to bring back kimchi for him. Sungjong, you remember him?"  Seolhee confirms with a nod. Sungjong was no stranger in high school. He made a name through the Drama Club, starring in various plays. "His role in Grease was the best." She remarked, occassionally stealing glances at the living room. While Yejin insists to help setting the table, Dongwoo denies her request, telling her to engage in a conversation with Hoya.

They were sharing the same sofa, yet sitting apart and looking absolutely lost. 

Oh dear.

Yejin may be great at striking conversation, work-related or being casual with friends, but not one on one with a guy. She gets flustered. Either that or she turns cranky.

So he may be more than a friend. The deduction triggered happiness. Yejin's hitting twenty four soon. She should be meeting a decent guy by now.

It's about time.

May God answers her prayer.

 

 

The dinner was great. Sungyeol made sushi and tepanyaki. One word, scrumptious. Now I know who to find when I'm craving for Japanese food.

"Okay! Let's play a game. Everybody, on the floor!" The oldest male ushered everyone to the living room, pushing away the coffee table to create space. Just when Yejin was about to follow Seolhee, she got held back on her wrist. "Wait here." He said. Yejin stood there, totally clueless while Hoya disappears into his room.

For a second there, her heart leaped.

In the midst of trance, Dongwoo's voice snapped her out of it. "Coming," It could've been nothing important. She placed herself beside Seolhee, adjusting her legs in the process. The skirt was long enough to cover her knees but just in case, she's avoiding unwanted exposure. "What are we playing?"

That was until a blanket was laid on her lap. She recognized the purple woven fabric, identical to the one she woke up in the other day. It belonged to Hoya. The latter occupied the empty seat right next to her.

There goes the thump again.

"Spin the bottle!"

The bottle was empty, producing hollow sounds as it rotates, going in motion until it stops spinning. The end points to one person, the one to be questioned. "Sungyeol! This is going to be juicy," Dongwoo, acting as the person in charge, rubbed his hands excitedly. This game is one of his favorites. "We'll start with the cliches. Lee Sungyeol, what's your ideal type of girl?"

The person in question, Sungyeol paused for a thought. By the way, good question, oppa. Down to ten seconds, he answered. "Easy going, innocent and sincere. Like Yejin." His sentence ended with Dongwoo cooing them both. "Me?" Oh my gosh! Uh oh. I'm pretty sure my face is red like tomato now. Don't get too excited. "That's very flattering. Thank yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter