Episode 28

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : My apologies to dear Fairies who thought there was an update. I was preparing the chapters but I forgot to click 'Hide Chapter' when I saved it. Didn't mean to startle you Fairies. Here. To make it up to you. :)

 

제28회

 

 

The song provides background music in her cycling. Like a music video. Strands of her hair danced in the wind, resulted in curls from the braid. She enjoys cycling rather than jogging. I'm not a big fan of running, you see. But if I need a major workout, perhaps aerobic?

Welcoming the night sky, the lamp posts turn on one by one. Most visitors have left the park, emptying playgrounds but some youngsters chose to remain at the basketball court or skateboarding. Yejin cycled pass them, some gave her a second look.

The song ended, briefly paused her in silence. Then it happened.

Someone's following me.

Coldness on her skin chills down her spine. An ominous vibe surrounds her like unseen fog through the dim route. The feeling was indeed disturbing, very hard to ignore.

"I'm just a little girl lost in the moment, I'm so scared but I don't show it..." Her singing disrupts the eerie silence in attempt to reduce her anxiety.

Shadows. There were two, none of them was hers. Cold sweat ran down her forehead.

"I can't figure it out...  It's bringing me down, I know..."

Her cycling goes faster. In horror movies, those who look back always end up being chased by... Gulp. She dared not to say it, or thought about it.

"I've got to let it go..." Her heart kept beating like a drum. But it didn't stop her. She succumbed to the urge. Her head tilted at an angle until she saw what was behind her.

"Ghost! Aaaahhh!!"

They are on the move. Her speed skyrocketed in seconds. Her cycling was fast, very, very fast. How can ghosts know how to ride a bicycle? Despite fatigue slowly killing her legs, her determination kept her going in hope to find an escape. Images of eerie looking masks terrify her more.

By hook or crook, she needs to get out of there. 

A slope is up ahead. Yejin sees the route going downhill and an exit is expecting her after two right turns. Shadows of the chasers began to further away. Good. The men were no longer on her tail. Yejin looked forward. A sigh of relief washed over her.

Until she realized why they stopped going after her.

She squeezes both handles but nothing worked. Again, she repeats her action yet the bicyle did not stop. She's going down to her doom.

Uh oh.

"Stop! I said stop!" The handles went left and right, perhaps going in a wavy line might do the trick. Her state of mind was in pure chaos. How do I stop myself? Think, Yejin.Think, think! "I got it!"

Gripping both handles tightly, up to the point of sweaty palms, Yejin prayed to God and braced for impact.

The man lowered his mask. His partner in crime follows. Their gaze directed towards the girl in her bicycle, the one they were assigned for. The taller man remains soulless looking at the girl holding to her dear life. His partner wanted to speak but he put up his hand.

They were hired to take down people.

The girl let out a scream. The bicycle was forced to turn, heading towards a big tree. The attempt successfully separates Yejin from her bicycle. However, the collision threw her body to the cemented ground.

The man dialled a number. It didn't take long to be connected, only within five seconds.

"It's done."

She leaned back to her seat, her smile full of triumph. The call ended after a single response, merely confirming their payment as promised. The heiress emptied her glass of wine. Thoughts of Yejin in trouble had her drown in pleasure.

"One down, one more to go."

 

 

Pain dominated every muscle as soon as Yejin regained consciousness. Where am I? The surroundings looked dark, not much of a help anyway. The right side of her body stings badly. She tried moving, immediately attacked by a sharp pain.

Yejin bit her lip until the pain reduced. It focused on her ankle as she propped herself up, indicating a possible sprain. What just happened?

She remembered bits and pieces. She was cycling when two masked strangers popped out of the blue. They followed her, went after and caused her fall.

Also, the brakes did not function during the critical moment.

The chasers were long gone. “Yah! That’s not funny!” She shouted at the vicinity. Those pranksters better not cross paths with me again.

Yejin let out a deep sigh. Why am I so clumsy? First the elevator, now this…

Good thing this is not an enclosed space like the last time. Yejin retrieved her bicycle, thankfully still in one piece except for the brakes. The wires were cut off which explains the failure of stopping earlier. It will cost her to get it fixed but less worrisome than buying a new bicycle.

This is going to be a long way home.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

Sungkyu woke up only to notice Seolhee no longer asleep by his side. The sound of water running alerted him right when his girlfriend exited the bathroom. “You’re up?”

Her hair was in a soft bun, loose T-shirt and water droplets down her face. Naturally, she looked alluring. “ I don’t have a heart to wake you up.” Seolhee went to the refrigerator for a glass of water, later hands it to Sungkyu. The latter took it and quenched his thirst. She placed hersef next to him, watching him rejuvenate after a good sleep. “You slept like a baby. I find it adorable.”

Baek Seolhee uses aegyo on her boyfriend! Ah, I wish I was there to see it.

Of course, this is the power of love. I’m full of envy.

“Says the one who made me her pillow.” He retorted back, earning Seolhee’s blush. She noticed what she did when she woke up; her head rested on his arm and his arm wrapped around her waist. She drifted off somewhere along the movie.

Truthfully, she hadn’t had that peace

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter