Episode 42

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

제42회 

 

 

 

Something is off.

He already looked around the apartment only to have both girls nowhere to be found. But everything was left untouched. Their phones were left behind and in addition, Seolhee’s car was parked at her spot but not Yejin’s. Her car was missing. It’s never a good sign.

Did something happen?

The last time he saw them was yesterday afternoon. He was with Seolhee when Yejin came.

He remembered the cold shoulder she gave both of them. It was unlikely of her; the positive and sunny Yejin.

“You see that?”  

He’d never expect that kind of reaction from her. The tables had turned. He was the person to be wronged at. He should be the one getting upset not the other way around. Seolhee had distanced herself from him to give an explanation of what she did earlier.

“This is my first time seeing her like that but that’s probably given. It was her first time anyway.”

The girl ended up smiling. For someone he only gets to know a couple of hours before, he has not yet learn to read her mind well.

 Seolhee was taught through her own experience. “She saw us together and got jealous.”  

“Jealous?” It was the glint in her eyes that gave her away. She looked ready to pounce on them any second.

“Aish!” This is not the time to ponder about the matter. Finding them safe and sound is more important. His meeting with Dongwoo will have to wait.  Currently his priority is to pinpoint their exact location.

“I’m tired. I’m going straight to bed.”

Could it be that something happened after he left? The question put him into a burden feeling of uneasiness. Every time he couldn’t get a hold on her, there's a high chance of Yejin ending up hurt.

 

 

Is it me or did I just hear him say- “I like Hoya?” Woohyun confirms his previous statement with a nod, full of confidence in his words. Their repaired status of friendship allows his playfulness channeled through a quirky grin. Yejin can’t even tell whether he was actually being serious or merely fooling around to lighten up their conversation.

If only she could see the look on her face... “Say something," He gave her an elbow nudge, startling the girl back to reality.

The reality was, Yejin was dumbfounded. "How can I- I mean, I would know myself if I like someone. If I do like Hoya, it's probably because..."

Because he kissed me. "But that's not possible. I… I can't like him. He..."

"He... what?" It was new to see bubbly Yejin got tongue-tied. The girl appeared to lose her words, actually contemplating the theory she had in mind a long time ago.

"H-he's my neighbor! Neighbors can't date each other." She settled with this answer, hiding the benefit of doubt from Woohyun. The latter was already invested in the topic, far from amused of her reply. "Really? That's the best you can think of? Come on,"

This has to stop; otherwise she'll never get to hear the end of it. Woohyun's persistence is no joke. They were already out of the car by then as he continues to offer his strength.

"Cut it out, Namu!"

"Don't be such a baby. How about a piggyback ride?"

“Piggyback ride?” He bent down his knees before her, insisting to carry her. "Get on,"

Aish. He's really putting me on a tight spot here. What is it with guys and carrying girls? Do they really enjoy it that much? Guys in dramas would say "Oh, you're so light like feather!" when in reality their bones are about to break. “My bones are as hard as steel. You won’t even make it to the elevator. Mark my words.”

"Wanna bet? I bet he can do it.” The person he pointed to was none other than Hoya himself.   His appearance was on cue. A coincidence, she assumed. This is the time where most people go to work.

“You left your door open.” He simply said. Yejin hesitantly nodded. “I know. Long story.” She replied quickly, unable to continue further because of her drying throat.

All of a sudden, Yejin felt like a fashion disaster. With a messy hairdo, pajamas and T-shirt completed with slippers; nothing can save her from embarrassment. If I were an ostrich, I'm ready to bury my head in the ground. I look like a mess! Fully aware of her situation now, the only option left was to look down to her feet. 

It could be her unhealthy state that made her feel this way; jittery and self-conscious. After all, he already saw her in a drunken state, much less neater than today.

"Are you... alright?"

No, I'm not alright. For once, I want to say it. "I'm fine." She hesitatingly nods. "Seolhee is sick. Come visit her at the hospital when you have time."

Nonsense. He cares less about you. You broke his heart, remember?

She didn't realize how dazed she really was until a black leather jacket draped over her shoulders. He certainly played his friend role well, as she looked at him by her side confusingly; Woohyun quickly came to their rescue. "Yejin is a sick person too, you see."

That explains the pale complexion, dark circles under her eyes and exhaustion painted on her face.

He's going to explode again. I can tell. It hit her; déjà vu from her previous injury. Plus, the fact that Woohyun was already immersed into his middle man role is no help at all. "I have to go." Her hastiness blurted the words right out of . The jacket goes back to its owner, even though Woohyun insisted to keep it on her. "Run along now. You'll be late for work."  The jacket goes back to its original owner.

Seeing him invisible was never her intention but at this point, whatever inside her is unbearable. Stop. She bit her lip, desperately doing so. Stop it. He must not see the color of her cheeks.

"Thanks. Sorry for all the trouble." Uncertain on which one her reply was directed to, but as currently not her main concern, Yejin had no other goal than to get into the elevator quickly as possible. What if he hears it?

"Yejin?"

There it goes again. Yejin swallowed hard. He’s standing not far from her, she can tell by the sense of his presence. The urge to approach him is getting stronger by the minute.

Whether they're still there or otherwise, Yejin had no idea. The elevator finally closes behind her. The sound of her heartbeat is still audible, much louder in the small space. It was picking up rapidly earlier, which grew Yejin's concern about one thing.

Is it true?

First I’m mad at him, now I’m terribly happy to see him again. Really happy, up to the point I’m starting to imagine things.

Even the desire of putting her arms around him woul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter