Episode 12

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

제12회

 

 

 

Yejin pulled on the brakes once she noticed that her lunchbox was not in the car. Today, she took an initiative to bring her own lunch to save on budget and time. She unleashed herself from the seatbelt and opened the door. 

“Excuse me,”

Yejin turned around. Standing before her was a guy. He had round cheekbones and slanted eyes completed with thick eyebrows and lips. Although she could say he is good looking, his foreign features made her wonder if he was actually Korean. 

“I’m looking for this address. Is this the right place?" The stranger gave a piece of paper to Yejin. Apartment number 304. This looks familiar... "Ah, yes. It's on the third floor. Right next to mine." The last sentence was unintentional but it was too late because the stranger heard her. His dark brown eyes grew in size followed by his gasp. "You're Hoya's new neighbor?" 

"Hoya?" 

Dongwoo laughed. "I mean, Howon. Everybody calls him Hoya." As a friendly gesture, she simply nodded and smiled. The name does have a nice ring to it.  "That's me." 

"I'm Dongwoo." He introduced himself along with a handshake. Dongwoo took a moment to inhale before he said, "Wow, you're pretty." 

I was taken aback when he said that. Truth to be told, no one tells me I am pretty except for my mother. Well, that's a given. The least they would say was "you're cute" or something. The term "pretty" belongs to Seolhee.

"Well, that's a first. Thanks." The diplomatic smile of hers turned into a sheepish grin. "I'm Yejin." She introduces herself in return. "Do you want me to show you the way? I'm going up as well." 

"Don't mind if I do." He let her walk up front to lead him into the building. As they went up the elevator, Dongwoo happily opened up with the story of how he met Hoya. Apparently Hoya looked shy at first but then surprised everyone at the company dinner with his dancing. Picturing the image of her serious looking neighbor moving his body to the music… Now that would be something to watch.  

"I’m Yejin. You are?” 

Not a reply, but walking past her. “Okay…”

"Hi, neighbor! Can I come in?" 

"No." 

"Uh oh. I know that look." Yejin tilted her head to the side where Dongwoo was analyzing her. "You're judging him, aren't you?" He shook his head a few times as Yejin sighed in defeat. "Don't get me wrong. I find it hard to believe that Hoya and Howon were the same guy. Their personality were like Jekyll and Hyde." The guy she knew as her neighbor were distant. Unless she was the one to make the first move, which she always did, their meeting will always end up awkward. 

"Yejin," 

"Hmm?" 

"Thanks, neighbor." 

Yejin grinned sheepishly. "No problem, neighbor." 

This Hoya guy sounded more easier to approach.

"It happens a lot. Hoya takes time to warm up to people, especially with the opposite gender. Don't worry, he'll come around sooner or later." Hearing the explanation from Dongwoo seemed to clear things up a bit. She couldn't help but to wonder about friendlier version of Lee Howon. 

Ding! 

The door parted open for the two. Right the person in question stood before them, clearly puzzled of seeing his colleague and neighbor together. "Hyung?" 

"Surprise!" Dongwoo wastes no time and gives Hoya a big hug. Yejin remains on the side watching the older rambling about not inviting him to his new place and offers to help him unpack. 

Finally, he remembered that Yejin was still there. "What are you doing here?" 

Now, this is Howon. Yejin tries not to frown in front of Dongwoo. "I-"

"Come on now, be nice to Yejin." Dongwoo, being the peacemaker, moved in between Yejin and Hoya while subtly warning his colleague not to growl on her. "Yejin?" 

They are already on the first name basis. 

"Go grab your lunchbox. You don't want to be late." Dongwoo breaks the temporary silence, quickly ushering the girl to motion by pushing her back. 

He even dares to touch her.  

"Alright. Again, nice to meet you, oppa and see you later, Hoya," Yejin went the opposite direction towards her apartment and disappeared after opening the door. Hoya shifted his gaze to Dongwoo, now questioning him with that look. "Oppa?" 

"What? She's younger than I am. Plus, she's nice." The older male retorted, even lifting his shoulders. Hoya's eyes flattened at thes statement. 

He has a thing for nice girls.

"So..." Dongwoo suddenly rubbe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter