Episode 58

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

제58회

 

 

 

Jeju Island is an island off the southern cost of South Korea, also known as the ‘Island of the Gods’ which is very popular among Koreans and foreigners.

There are tons of funs things to do around the island; hiking on South Korea’s highest peak Halla Mountain or Olle Trail, catching sunrises and sunsets over the ocean, riding horses or just lying around the sandy beaches.

Hello, Jeju!

 “Is this your first time here, miss?”

Yejin gave an eager nod, unable to hide the joy in her heart. Today, she’s able to check out visiting Jeju from her wish list. The comfortable, welcoming weather brought out a gleeful smile from her. “I heard the beach is beautiful.” She added, hoping to gain more tips from a local's perspective. Someone said this; the best way to travel is to spend a day with the locals. See what they love to do and enjoy the rest. This is said by a recognized traveler. Well, someone I know.  

“The island is famous for couples, especially newlyweds. There are plenty of beaches to choose from for a romantic date. I can suggest the best one for you, Miss and your boyfriend.”

Boyfriend? A bittersweet word for Yejin, one that possess a thousand meanings yet a secret kept for herself. “Ahjusshi, please tip me on all the beautiful places here.” She raised her camera for the driver to see through the mirror, distracting herself with joy of first experience in Jeju and traces of jet lag.

Here I come. Her smile returns, remembering the purpose of this trip.

 

 

 

“Welcome to Namguk Hotel,”

Starting from the doorman, Yejin’s arrival was greeted with royalty treatment fitting for a guest in a first-class hotel. You don’t get this kind of service every day. I’m going to enjoy it while I can.

“Miss Shin, your room number is 0802. Enjoy your stay.” The receptionist completes her check-in within five minutes. Yejin flaunted a smile of satisfaction in return for her efficient service.

I’ve searched about this hotel. They provide good service; you saw that just now, though the price is, um… I’m surprised, actually.

I didn’t expect him to pick this hotel, the island for the venue. He’s always been so careful, minding where his money goes and I understand that. He’s a man and he wants a promising future for him and his family. Knowing him, I thought he’d settle for a simple wedding attended by close family and friends but…

But then he won a lucky draw and the prize is an all-paid dream wedding in Jeju Island, plus honeymoon. Gasp.

I struck gold.

Admiration doesn’t end there. Every single thing caught her attention; the mini fountain next to the guest lounge, Oriental restaurant built facing the sea and high-end boutique to the paintings decorating the hallway towards her room.

I know. I’m being childish right now but I can’t help it. When was the last time I went to a place like this? Never!

Standing from the balcony of her room, facing the blue ocean and pearly white beach, it felt like standing on top of the world. The breeze whispers gentle melody, humming a beautiful lullaby keeping her eyes closed in peace. Inhaling fresh air once, twice, it prepares her mind for the next two weeks to come. 

"Let's do this." 

 

 

 

= = = = = = = =

 

 

 

In case you’re curious, it’s been a year.

Seolhee stays in Seoul, running her business and living happily with Sungkyu. Haha, I don’t have to call him Team Leader Kim anymore. He insists on me calling him ‘oppa’ since he’s older.

Never mind. I’ll stick to ‘Sungkyu-ssi’ instead.

Yugyeom graduated from high school! He’s applying for college and while waiting for the result he continues working at the café. Oh, and he has a girlfriend now.

Kyung Il recently won a competition and since then, his victory brought a new light to the business. His winning dish, the honey-glazed tiramisu crepe is a must to-try when you visit Café Bloom. Yugyeom brought it to me once and it is to die for.

Seolhee made Jaehun oppa her business partner. They make a good team. I’m proud of them.

Me? I stayed in Busan. I teach Art at my old school and work at the restaurant after school. The beach is nearby, I can go anytime I want and I have more time to sketch. Isn’t it great?

Of course it is...

She finished sketching the basics; the outline of the beach and a few boats floating on the water. There’s a family of four indulge in the fun of building a sand castle. An old couple rekindles their romance by simply holding hands as they walk side by side.

It’s been a year. It was that long since the first time she took him to the beach, one just like this. It must’ve feel like this, a sense of curiosity and awe upon discovering a new place for the very first time. She pictured the beach back home in her head, comparing the image to the one presented before her eyes.

Woohyun quit his job at the café and went back to his uncle’s company, to Eun Group. I haven’t heard of him ever since.

Well, it worked the best for all of us, I guess. Moving on is part of life, after al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter