Episode 61

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

제61회

 

 

 

Who is she? A friend? Girlfriend? She looked familiar though. Where did I see her before?

No, how can he find a girl that quick? One year, two months and ten days, it wasn't that long. Does it make sense he moved on within a short time? And he wasn't the type who falls in love easily.  Do guys move on that fast?

Wait. I have no right to judge him. He has all the rights. He can fall in love with anyone he wants, whenever he wants or how long he wants. It’s not like we’ve been official or anything. I sort of turned him down anyway so… yeah.

No, he did confess to me. Then, is this some sort of revenge? He found another girl, make her his girlfriend and came back to rub it in my face? 

To claim you love someone then you went missing and then you came back with another girl, how can a guy- When he even- And then he even asked me that- I even- Argh!

"Have fun with my misery, Nam Woohyun!"

The twig flew into the water, disappearing somewhere in the waves that came crashing in along with Yejin’s emotion. The words she scribbled on the sand have yet to be washed away keeping traces of frustration inside her. She sighed for the umpteenth time that evening wishing the sunset view to be a distraction from the recent encounter.

They need no mirrors to reflect shock on their faces. The world came to a standstill or at least that’s what it felt like.

Yejin had imagined this day in various scenarios, what to expect and what not to expect or rather what to do in such situation. If it is to compare, it was a drill but without a practice. This is the real deal.

He looked different. His sneakers, T-shirt and jeans are now leather shoes, suits and tie. He’s no longer the newest member of Café Bloom when Seolhee first introduced him to Yejin or even the guy who became her fairy godmother for one night but a twenty five year old guy born with a silver spoon in his mouth, spoken by his corporate-like appearance. He is a family member of Eun Group after all.  

He had not stepped out and her feet were as if glued to the marble floor. Whether to wait for him to get out or walk into the metal box; whether to be casual, emotional or nonchalant, the least Yejin wanted to do was to call his name but…

“Woohyun?”

He responded to her, the one who snapped him out of daze. She had a different expression of curiosity, innocence in her eyes as she waits for him to speak. That was when Yejin came to realize, he and the girl were no strangers at all. 

“Let’s go.” He placed his arm around the girl, exiting the elevator side by side as they walked past Yejin leaving her in the same spot she was.

Woohyun was not alone.

“Hey,” A hand touches her shoulder, turning out to be Seolhee. She let her settle beside her, watching her friend drown in frustration amidst the captivating sunset before their eyes. Hopefully, her presence brought soothing calmness for her friend in need.

“How are you feeling?”

How am I feeling? Dumbfounded, shocked or should I say terrible? “Not good.” Yejin answered. The sunset came to be a good distraction though and for that she was grateful. At least there was one thing to take him off her mind even for a brief moment. The twig was gone, leaving her with nothing else to write with.

“How did you know I was here?” She paused, one of her eyebrows lifted. “Did you…”

“Yuri and Sungyeol,” Seolhee confessed. “They saw him yesterday. Yuri told me this morning.”

So that’s why. They weren’t texting to Sungkyu and Sungyeol, they were texting to each other. “Is there any chance that was also the reason you guys decided to bail on me at the wedding hall?”

“Partly the reason but that wasn’t it.”

“You guys just got here yesterday. I’ve been here for a whole week and I have no idea at all. That makes me stupid.” 

“You’re not.”

“Yes, I am.” Yejin insisted. The dusty sand is beneath her, darkening sky came in view as Seolhee chose to lean back inhaling the scent of the sea. The girl beside her fell into silence; though Yejin was known to be talkative, this side of her was only known to those closest to her and writing on the sand drops a big hint.

“You didn’t think this is an irony, do you? I think it is.”

“Jin…”

“I led him on, turned him down, made him came running to me and then chased him away again. Come to think of it-” 

"Aish, stop talking! It's because you didn't know back then. Would you let it slide if you do?"

Yejin chuckled, responding as if she was right all along. I didn’t know.  She used to repeat the sentence in mind for the first few months yet as time passed it started to sound like a petty excuse. The words lost its meaning for one reason.  

I wondered why I felt bad letting Woohyun go home by himself even though Hoya was around. I kept wondering throughout the night why I stayed up to draw and all I could think of was the time we spent at the beach.

It was when I woke up the next morning finding him gone. Then he said it himself.

 “You knew.”

It was because I knew. I actually knew it all along.

“Tell him then.” Seolhee nudged Yejin in the arm quickly. The purpose is to kick some senses and Seolhee is full with determination. “Tell him how you feel, what you felt for him.”

As a supporting character, their job is to hand their support for the leads in trouble. Surprisingly, it does not apply only in dramas but in real life as well. They offer their aid in forms of advice, actions or whatever necessary to ensure things go in favor because the result is an acc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter