Episode 36

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 A/N : Say hello to @blue_fairy710 on Twitter!

 

 

제36회

 

 

 

“Yejin!”

Responding to the name, she turned around hesitantly. She has yet to regain her senses, reminiscing what they did in the elevator.

Flashbacks burn her cheeks on fire.

Finally he managed to catch up with her. Yejin braves herself to lift her chin up and match his gaze. She never realized it before. That pair of mysterious brown eyes somehow managed to pierce through her soul with nothing but gentleness. They were quite fascinating.

She could never forget that look. It was the way he looked at her on the night he rescued her.

Time went by. Both stood in silence.

However silence became more deafening. “Hoya, I…”

“Three years ago,” He spoke. Her shoulders tensed as he placed his hands on it. Ever since they kissed, she became sensitive with even the slightest touch. Yejin bit her lip furiously in hope that doing that will be able to slow down her heartbeat.   

“I met her in college. We dated for almost a year," The tense begin to fade. She relaxed. This is the Yejin he knew. Her voice softens. “What happened?”

“She left.” She heard strain in his voice. It must be painful.

Yejin hid her expression. She may not be able to relate to  what he felt after the breakup. What was it like? She can't imagine without experience. Regarding the heartbreak, the closest she had seen was... Woohyun.

"Do you still love her?"

He's confused. He must be.

"I get it," Yejin voiced out, easing him with a smile. "I agree with you. We are neighbors. What we did... It shouldn't happen so let's forget about it." Yejin turned around, letting her feet drag her towards the staircase, instead of the elevator. She can still sense his gaze piercing her back, somehow clenching her chest really tight. The guy that claimed her first kiss once loved another girl.

I'm confused.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

"You look different," He pointed out. Hoya saw Dongwoo raising an eyebrow, curiously eyeing him from head to toe. The older male seems to notice from the minute Hoya walked to their cubicles without ignoring others. "Did something good happen?"

Hoya leaned back on his chair, refusing to share the good news just yet. "Nothing," He replied with a subtle smile, keeping yesterday's occasion to himself.

Dongwoo cares for him like an older brother but his blabbermouth is unstoppable. Should he share the story Dongwoo won't stop at "I told you so". He had been rooting for Yejin since day one. But he was right.

Hoya eventually fell for Yejin. The impact was evident, changing the way he sees the world. Her bright and bubbly personality may have rubbed on to him. He's seeing everything in colors now.

Fresh scent of trees mixed with flowers radiating from her body.

Her hand gripping on his shirt while shyly returning the kiss.

He kissed a girl before, but not like this.

"I agree with you. We are neighbors. What we did... It shouldn't happen so let's forget about it. Bye,"

Not being able to look at him in the eye, stumbling words and reddening cheeks. It is rare to see the confident Yejin gets flustered. Hmm. The corner of his lips went up immediately. “Oh, you’re smiling.” Dongwoo inches closer, unable to ignore what he sees. “What’s this? You’re being secretive.” The older male continues, figuring out the way to get another clue from him. But then again, Hoya has always been private about his life. Knowing the topic ends there, Dongwoo chose to finish his article.

"Never too late to start over. Let her know."

They settled in their seats. Yejin had the engine and put on the seatbelt. The radio came on; she lowered the volume and changed into another channel. “Sorry.” Popular K-pop tracks were her choice of tunes; she gathered them in a thumb drive and only plays it when she’s driving alone. The loud and fast beats might be disturbing to his ears.

Her hands were both on the steering, ready to go. She was going to say something, he didn’t notice until a minute passed yet the car had not started moving.

“Do you mind if I say something?”

Yejin pulled away from the steering wheel. Her body slightly angled towards him to make her face him properly.

It was then he noticed she wasn’t actually wearing any makeup. But he was fine with it. “Go on,” He nodded. After all, he is the one riding in her car.

“I know you just moved in, but…” Yejin paused, as if she was trying to find the right words to finish her sentence. “Staying alone can be hard in a new place. If you need any help, just knock on my door.” She ended with a smile, showing off her crescent-like eyes. “I’ll come to you.”

He pressed ‘OK’ replacing the name ‘3-03’ he saved for Yejin’s number with a new one. This one suits her better.   

Too bad. Dongwoo missed another smile on his face.  

Hoya grabbed his jacket and wallet. “Hyung, I’m going out.”

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

“K-kiss?”

The girl immediately turned red, her cheeks heated with intense blush. She averted her gaze in attempts to hide it.

Why must it be a kiss? She became extremely sensitive to that word or anything related to it. She can't control it; racing heartbeat, extreme blush, fidgeting and tingling sensation all over her body. I wonder how people can kiss everyday with that kind of effects.

Here I am only with one time experience and it's already driving me nuts.

And Kim Sungkyu is asking me for another one. I feel like slapping him!

But that is not the proper solution. I have to handle this delicately.

"Let's do it." So much for being delicate.

"Really?" Yejin nodded. Ecstatic is what he should be feeling. It should be. The girl he confessed to is willing to kiss him. He had no idea where this would lead to but it was worth the risk.

It could be worth it.

When Hoya kissed her, she didn't see it coming. Therefore, the feeling kicked in a bit later before she adapted to it and maybe, kind of enjoying it too. It's human nature, inevitable from the flowing rush of adrenaline.

It was new. It was foreign. It was thrilling.

Now she is doing it with Sungkyu. It is already expected, Yejin is preparing for it. She knew yet anticipating the outcome. It's a good thing they were alone in the apartment.

If the kiss doesn't turn out well, they will move on and pretend it never happen.

If it does... She prayed mentally.

"Close your eyes." She did as she was told to. Closing her eyes will only focus on the feel, which she's not supposed to, but Yejin didn't want to the image of his coming on to her embedded in her mind either. So she readies herself.

 

Five.

 

He grabbed both her shoulders. Take a deep breath.

 

Four.

 

"Yejin," She could feel their breaths already mixing with one another. It'll all be over before you know it. Yejin knew her knuckles are turning white from clenching her fist so hard.

 

Three.

 

What if we start making out like Hoya and I did? She kissed a guy yesterday and will be kissing another one today. Wait, that doesn't sound right.

 

Two.

 

Their noses are touching.  

 

One.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter