Episode 23

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제23회 

 

 

 

“What did you say?” Yejin asked, trying hard not to squeal. She bit her lip, and then continued.

“Do you like me?” He asked. 

The question was expected, except she never thought he’d be forward about it. But, she knew what she has to do. 

She had to answer to him properly. 

Seolhee made the first move, closing the distance between them. With courage fully inside, she leaned forward and did it. She kissed him first. 

In her previous relationship, it was always the guy who initiated the kiss. She just turned twenty and kissing was a new thing. Thus, all she did was close her eyes and embrace it. 

Sungkyu, however, with him it was a whole new experience. He reacted in three seconds, nibbling her lower lip which took her by surprise. It was thrilling and he thrived for more. Her fingers sent tingles down his spine as they touched the back of his neck. Assisting her, he secured her waist and carefully devour on her lips. 

She’s like a fragile, delicate doll and he fears he will break her. 

They parted after awhile, each catching their breaths. Their foreheads were pressed together, celebrating the blissful moment. Feeling embarrassed, Seolhee let out a shy smile. “I think I do.” 

Right after that, he captured her lips again.      

 “Oh my gosh!” Yejin rolled on the beds a few times, letting out happy squeals repeatedly. “It’s so romantic! Aahh!!” Seolhee blushed some more, happily reliving the moment and regretted sharing it with her best friend. “Stop. You’re embarrassing me.” She responded by punching the latter’s shoulder. The girls lay on their backs, blankly staring at the ceiling. “I'm happy for you, Seol." She let out a sigh, but more like a contented one. 

Back in their hometown, they'd spent their teen years climbing on Seol's rooftop and stargazing. They used all the free time talking about dreams and future. That includes their Prince Charming. "Do you remember Sungyeol?" Yejin nodded. Sungyeol transferred to their school, capturing their hearts at first sight. "Remember when we played 'rock, paper, scissors' to decide who talks to him first?" 

"We threw the same sign five times and gave up." 

"Then, Han Taehee confessed to him in public." Remembering the day, Seolhee ended up laughing. That would've been embarassing if they did it. "Do you still like him now?" 

"He's tall, funny, very talented in cooking. Charming, but not for me." Her answer intrigued Seolhee, making her shift her position to lie on her stomach, facing Yejin with mental questions. What makes her Mr. Right? 

"A guy of his own character. Serious, but only when he needs to. I love kids, so... No, he doesn't have to be good with kids, at least he doesn't hate them. Oh, just like in the drama, he notices all the little things and looks adorable when he's jealous." 

"Looks adorable when he's jealous?" Yejin let out a shy giggle upon the quote. Of course! Since I'm the reason he got jealous, that makes him even more adorable. Even with drama clichés, the charm of a cold-hearted guy eventually melts to a girl’s warmth sounds magical.   

Or in some cases, it was the other way around. Tough girl meets kind hearted guy, two people ended up together through a series of mishaps et cetera. In any way, they were bound to fall in love. 

But that kind of drama does not exist in real life. I knew that. She concluded her answer with, "As long as he's nice, like Woohyun." At very moment, Seolhee released a heavy sigh. She haven't told her yet. "Woohyun confessed to me." 

So, he finally came clean. The news led to no surprise, as Seolhee expected. "You knew," The latter nodded. "Since when?" 

He knew from the start. His biggest fear, losing her to another guy, came true when he saw them kissing that night. "The day you and Sungkyu made the announcement." She answered, choosing not to reveal the later part to her friend. Her good nature will trigger guilt. "I feel so bad. I even slapped him out of anger. God, I'm such a jerk." Seolhee ended up burying her face on the mattress. 

"You're not a jerk." Yejin touched her shoulder to relay comfort. "He just needs some time to pull himself together. He'll come by," She said. 

Woohyun is a happy and thoughtful person. Sure, rejection is a bad thing but life goes on. Something good will come sooner or later. Am I right? 

"I need your help, Jin." 

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

A soft knock alerted Sungkyu, but only to find his new assistant seductively leaning against the door. “Yes?” He went back to focusing on the paper, resuming his proofreading. 

Yuri sulked, disappointed by his reaction. Ever since she reported in as his new assistant, their conversations were always work related and never more than half an hour. She did not ask the job to be treated this way. “Were you busy?” 

“As you can see,” He replied briefly, with no means to entertain her. The pen moves about while he pointed out any mistakes with markings and circles. With Yuri now replacing Yejin, it had no difference with going back to square one. He had to work from scratch, giving Yuri a chance to adapt to his work routine. “Sungkyu…”

“Director Kim,” He corrected her, his tone evidently strict. Yuri smirked. He refused to look at her. 

Men have a reason not to look at her; they were avoiding temptation. After all, a woman like her is irresistible. 

“Fine,” Her voice was full of sensual. She carefully closes the door behind her and advanced towards the male. The latter was oblivious to her action. It was until her arms went around his neck that made him jump from his seat. “Calm down. No one’s watching.” Her whisper came with heat, barely touching his ear.

She frowned when he shoved her hands away from travelling down his shoulders, almost succeeding in embracing Sungkyu. “Mind yourself. We’re at work.” 

Yuri giggled. “Why are you so afraid? No one said anything. They won’t.” 

“I will.” He got up, creating distance between him and the heiress. Professionalism at work is essential; he wants to keep it that way. Sungkyu had no doubt when President Kwon’s daughter chose to work under him. The practice was nothing new in corporate world, learning the ropes through hard work. 

He tolerates no special treatments. “I have a girlfriend. Don’t cross the line or your father will be the first to learn about your inappropriate behavior.”

“Scary, but not scary enough.” A smirk made its appearance. “Girlfriend, you say?” She crossed her arms and approached him, looking determined. “Not for long.” She touched his chin, leaning towards his lips. 

He walked out of the room, steaming with anger. 

“Be patient, Sungkyu. You will be mine.”          

Yuri, one. Sungkyu, zero. 

Although I hate her, I have to give credit on her ‘spirit’. 

No? 

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

Apartment number eleven. This is it. 

Using the employer advantage, she looked into his files. Currently, she’s standing in front of his apartment with anxiety. After all she did to him; the chances of him rejecting her apology are greater. She inhaled deeply. Okay. Here goes. 

The door opens before ‘ding, dong’ echoes in the hallway. “Hi,” She sounded so awkward when Woohyun appeared with a puzzled expression. “Do you have time to talk?”

Here’s the girl that rejected his feelings. Here’s the same girl who answered his confession with a slap, now showing up in his apartment looking sorry. “I have to go.” The guy chose to walk past her, leaving pangs in her chest. Flashbacks of the day he handed in his resignation visited her. The view of his back as he zoomed away with his motorcycle was hard to forget. 

But, she doesn't give up.

Seolhee was still there when Woohyun waited for the bus. He’s not taking his motorcycle today. For where he’s heading to, riding the bike would be a hassle. 

Where is he going? Seolhee sat the other end of the bench, peeking at Woohyun from time to time. The guy dressed in plaid shirt, blue jeans and sneakers; perfectly styled in his mid twenties. He brought something, a guitar case, but the purpose of it was unknown. 

He climbed on the bus, so did she. Woohyun picked an empty seat on the third row, Seolhee occupied two seats behind him. As the bus starts going in motion, Woohyun plugged his earphones, leaning back against the leather seat nonchalantly. 

It's the silent treatment.

Still, she refuses to give up. 

At the fifth stop, Seolhee gets off in front of a white building. What is he doing in a hospital? Is he visiting someone, or seeking treatment himself? The mystery continues trailing on him, not wanting to lose sight of him.

They entered the lobby, into the elevator and stopped at the fourth floor. Within the timeline, the girl appeared invisible to Woohyun. His pace decelerates upon reaching one of the main doors. 

Pediatrics Ward

 “You’re here,” A young woman in a white lab coat, long hair with lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter