Episode 51

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제51회 

 

 

 

The empty field produces familiar warmth with every step she takes towards the school ground. Currently class is in session, providing a reason for the absence of children running around under the sun. That’s okay, Yejin didn’t mind. The fact she had an opportunity to visit this place is enough to make her smile.

Dalsung Middle School

 Yejin’s memory serves the best as she wanders into the building perfectly remembering where Class 2-3 and the Teacher’s Room are. Everything came back to her; the sound of bell for lunch, her favorite lunch special every Thursday and free period on Monday morning that allowed her to spend more time in the Art room.

“May I help you, miss?”

It was her. Yejin’s smile grew wider, overwhelming by the mere sight of the person who just spoke to her. She was the same person Yejin knew from fifteen years ago with unchanging voice and expression except aging features.

“Tae Yang*?”

The only word a student would use to address her teacher, her students, or in this case her former student. That alone was a big hint to the teacher as her curiosity grew.

The look in her eyes becomes an amusement for Yejin while Madam Tae Yunha racks through her memory to deduce the woman’s identity. “Oh, come on. I left you a few years and you forgot all about me? That’s harsh.” Yejin acted perfectly by pretending to sulk. “You even said I can be your Little Sun.”

Little Sun was her first student who showed passion for art. The nickname came upon when the girl vowed to be like her Art teacher someday.

“Yejin?”

Oh, this brings back memories.

 

 

 

I used to sit here by the window. I’d doodle on my book quietly when the class got boring. The small desk and chair became too big for grown up Yejin but the nostalgic feeling stayed there. She and Tae Yang visited the classroom during recess, as the students went to the cafeteria.

“Mr. Song used to scold me a lot because he saw my doodles in the Math book. I can’t help it though, his voice makes me sleepy.”

Tae Yang remembers that too, sitting next to her. "I know. He'd come to me all worked up about how my art lessons distracted you a lot." The teacher watches as Yejin continues her old habits, doodling on a piece of paper and humming at the same time. She drew a cartoon version of the the female teacher with a male character, featured in a Polo shirt and an Angry Bird expression. 

"He was my using me as an excuse. I remembered seeing him talking in the mirror once, practicing how to say 'hi' to you."

"He did?" Their laughter echoes in the classroom, taking advantages of its emptiness. Recess ends in ten minutes and a few students are already on their way for an early return. Those who saw the Art teacher greeted her as they do but seeing Yejin was their first time. Hello, kids. I’m your senior. She gave them her usual bright smile. What? I have a thing with cuteness. Kids are cute.

Oh by the way, Tae Yang and Mr. Song got married. Sweet.

A trip down memory lane tends to bring nostalgic feelings upon a person, even to Yejin, but it also provides healing for her heart.

Childrens come with joy. Their laughter, their smile and their innocent has a way into her heart. Perhaps they are the very same reason Yejin had not thought of Hoya or anyone in Seoul, not even once.

Perhaps Yejin has finally found her peace.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

As for Grandma Shin, Friday afternoon serves nothing much other than meeting her circle of friends, mostly those who became regulars at her restaurant. Their meeting usually goes around after lunch until the sun almost sets.

Yes, my grandparents run a restaurant.

"I'd like the usual, Mrs. Shin." One of the ladies filled the last empty spot, frequenting their usual table. She came a bit late, joining the others' discussion about yesterday's TV drama.

The workers too are well acquainted with these ladies thus serving without asking their preference is nothing out of the ordinary. Grandma Shin didn't mind for they provide good company.

A few minutes before four o'clock, Yejin makes her entrance in a simple cardigan and jeans.She spotted her grandmother with her friends and likewise, also the workers welcome her. As she approaches Grandma Shin and her friends, she displays good manners by greeting them.

"My, my, you didn't mention you have a pretty granddaughter!"

Such compliments are likely from elders, Yejin replies with a polite 'thank you' and smile. It is common for them to show interest in their peers' children, comparing one another for the fun of their conversation.

"How old are you?"

"Are you married? Do you have a boyfriend? Fiancé?"

"You should not be alone, dear. You're already twenty four years old!"

Compliments, mostly welcomed. That, um... No comment. Keep smiling. Yejin reminds herself to be optimistic and accept their 'concern' with a positive thought.

Elders would be elders. After all, it is natural for girls her age to settle down.

"Your name is Shin Yejin, dear?"

She nodded. They have never met before but she looked familiar. Or maybe it’s because she comes here often, Yejin deduced.

"How about Mrs. Lee's nephew, Jonghyun? He’s a doctor and he's good looking."

"My neighbor's son is quite handsome too! His name is Kim Dongjun. Would you like his number?"

"Cheondung, my grandson just got back from the army..."

Oh, wow. I didn't expect having many suitors, I mean, nominees. If I knew, I’d never leave Busan in the first place haha- Just kidding.

"Madam Jung's grandson lives in Seoul. Do you know him?"

Oh dear. Their persistence

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter