Episode 40

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제40회 

 

 

 

Sleep.

You're tired. You had a nice shower; you're lying on your comfy bed so quickly close your eyes, Yejin.

So she did what her mind told her to. She pulled the blanket closer to her chest, closed her eyes and remained still.

It is the perfect condition to fall asleep.

"I give up!" The blanket landed on the floor as a result of her frantic kicking. Her hair had gone messy fitting the going to bed' concept. When one can't fall asleep, a glass of milk will do the trick. I need a good glass of milk. Right now. She decided, ignoring the fallen blanket with a new mindset.

To forget what she saw earlier.

Milk is her favorite protein, consumed non-stop since she was a little girl. People often preference, yet she believed drinking milk is good for everything. How do you think I get my porcelain skin?

Except it didn't do that good to my height. Added some weight, but not length to my bones. Yejin emptied her glass of milk in one shot. The cold liquid passes through with ease, soothing the mild headache emerging from staying up for the fourth day in a row. 2.30 AM. The time where she should be cruising in Dreamland, not sitting in the kitchen feeling uneasy.

The image of Hoya and Seolhee together; she can't get it out of her head.

It was the first time she saw him smiling. He never smiles at me. He gave her a constant cold shoulder and ignoring her friendliness every time. All those time baking and making desserts for nothing. Let's not also forget the door slamming to my face. Twice.

But then again, there were times he surprised her out of her blue, like the time he brought her to the restaurant or when he yelled at her for getting injured.

Is it so hard to be nice to me? You had no trouble doing it with Seolhee!

"Ah, what am I doing?” Insomnia. It must be. I'm losing it. Yejin huffed in frustration. "I really need to sleep." Another huff was heard followed clinking sounds and water flowing as she rinsed the glass used earlier.

Three hours left until wee cracks of dawn. Getting some shut eye is crucial or she won't make it the next day. Yejin dried her hands, now ready for the second attempt.

Just when she was about to turn around, Yejin let out a yelp. There was a startling sound coming from Seolhee's room.

"Seol? Are you awake?" She approached her door, calling her name but with a cautious volume. Her housemate goes to bed early and she's known as a light sleeper. "Seol?" She pressed her ear to the door, scanning for any possible movements. Following her instincts, Yejin dared herself to twist the door knob.

"Oh my God. Seol!"

Instead of sleeping, she was lying on the floor in utmost pain. "Seol! What's wrong with you?" Yejin rushed to her side, conducting further inspection by touching, pressing certain spots and observing through her reactions.

"Jin... C-call 911..." The girl struggled to maintain her breathing, greatly tortured by the throbbing pain.

For Yejin, the draining color of her skin is even more terrifying. Oh dear. Panic rapidly dominates her within. It could be the appendix thingie or ruptured spleen, I don't know. I should watch medical dramas more often. What do I do?  What do I do?!

"J-jin..."

Yejin ran in and out of their rooms, grabbing necessities like car keys, their purses and a jacket for Seolhee as fast as she can. "H-hang on! Don't die on me!" Desperately praying for strength; both physically and mentally, Yejin rested Seolhee on her back before getting up on both feet with all her might.

You're going to be fine. I won't let anything happen to you.

By the time they reached the parking lot, the unlocked door was long forgotten.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

While the girls were fighting for lives back in Seoul, here in Kangwon he was fighting for his girl in a less likely yet similar way.

Trained to be a successor, Sungkyu grew up with confidence against anyone he might have to face. He was taught to be strong hearted in front of future investors, clients and even potential opponents. He became a man with his own reputation, intimidating people with dominance.

But today, even the leader-like Sungkyu gets jittery in front of his girlfriend's father.

While waiting for Mr. Baek to come out from the kitchen, his palms grew sweaty followed by unstoppable anxiety and his eyes going wild in the living room.

The Baeks decorated their home with simplicity, also filled with lots of family photos. There was a set featuring Seolhee displayed behind him. Although she has grown up, he can still see traits of resembling features from her childhood and adolescent years.

Oddly, there were no sign of her baby pictures anywhere.

"Kim Sungkyu,"

Mr. Baek's voice led him out of his focus. Sungkyu let out an awkward cough, slightly embarrassed as being caught for staring at the photos. He returned to his seat immediately with slight delay of his timing in order to make way for the elder. He dares only to keep his eyes low as Seolhee's father stares at him intently.

Admittedly, this is too nerve wrecking than all of the above.

"Woollim Group's heir, Creative Team Director at Kwon Agency and the guy who made my little girl cry. Am I right?"

It was the truth. He gave a nod.

"My daughter went back to Seoul this morning. What are you going to do?"

Truthfully, he was in no position to justify himself. What he did was inexcusable. He'd admit to that. Indeed, Sungkyu lost the nerve to face Mr. Baek.

But he won't gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter