Episode 25

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To those who haven't read the second part of Episode 24, you might want to go back one chapter. 

I guarantee the... I'm not telling you. :P

Credit to jellybunnies from Exhilarating Poster Shop for this amazing poster. Heart~ ♥

 

제25회 

 

 

 

What-  Still unable to comprehend, her steps fell out of order as Hoya led her on the pavement. It was all in a rush; he grabbed her wrist out of nowhere and took her out of Cafe Bloom. 

So far, he had not said anything. Yejin, too said nothing. 

Aside from the confusion, irregular heartbeat curbed her logical thinking. It was the second time he did, longer this time, and on her mind was only how his fingers wrapped around her bare skin. The touch is warm but electrifying. Is that even possible?  She had no words to describe it. 

"Where are we going?" The question put a stop on his tracks. Oh my goodness. He looks so manly. 

Rephrase. That's not manly. That's him looking angry.

Wait, why is he angry?

Hoya blinked, now back in the reality. It was then everything fell back into place. "Hoya? Are you okay?" The latter finally turned to Yejin, who was just as puzzled as he is. 

"I just... um, not comfortable working in there. I thought that maybe we could get some air." He explained, taking time to collect himself. That's a lame excuse.  He bit his lip in frustration. What did he just do? 

All that he remembered was heating up from all stares directed to Yejin. He need to get out of there. 

He needed to get her out of there. 

The focus of his stare shifted to the denim dress. Now that she’s on her feet, the hem of the dress evidently stopped above her knees. "What are you wearing?" She looked to herself from head to toe, and then back to crossed looking Hoya. I don’t quite follow. "What’s wrong with this?" 

Everything! The skirt was too short, no sleeves and the tightening belt emphasized her curves. “Do you enjoy exposing your body to men out there? In case you didn’t notice, they were feasting on you with their eyes. That dress didn’t suit you at all; you look like an overgrown kid wearing clothes twice smaller than your size. You’re twenty four, Yejin, not fourteen.” 

To be honest, I was taken aback by Hoya’s words. He, who used to be silent and unpredictable most of the time, turned out to be full of spite.

 “My dress was fine. It was exactly my size and I’m wearing shorts underneath. No sleeve because it’s a sunny day. Forgive me for showing up in front of you like this,” Spinning on her heels, Yejin marched further away from Hoya. Her insides were steaming. He could’ve told me nicely. No need to be so judgmental. I’m not that kind of person. Ugh! 

It’s not like she didn’t get critics before. There’s a phrase, one can’t please everybody, and she fully understands the concept. 

But hearing it from Hoya, feeling offended was inevitable. I was very, very offended. 

Yejin was forced to halt when he grabbed her arm, forcing her to face Hoya. Refused to look at the cause of her mood swing, she averted her gaze. 

I’m not having a mood swing, he is. 

He’s at fault, eventually he realized. The sudden protectiveness of his resulted in venting out his frustration at Yejin. That was the right word to describe it, frustration. 

Men were born with dirty, erted minds. Thinking of every man possibly looking at Yejin in a wrong way tensed him. 

As neighbors, he ought to look out for her. 

“Yejin, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to-“ He paused for a quick sigh. Who knew Yejin sulk easily? He didn’t have to look into her eyes to know; she was deeply hurt by his words. "I was way out of line. It was uncalled for.” He paused again, his lips going dry. 

Her ignorance is tormenting. 

“Please,” 

Funny, how one simple word melts her anger in seconds. She felt it, an invisible lump in , also butterflies in her stomach. I’m almost in that time of month. My hormones are acting up. Maybe that’s why I’m sensitive. “Don’t be.” She spoke. In the end, she admitted sharing equal sense of regret. “I tend to get cranky when I’m hungry.” And I crave too.

“For the record, you don’t look like an overgrown child.” He continued, pointing to the dress. She actually looks pretty in the garment. Even better if added with sleeves. 

In one swift movement, the jacket he wore properly hid her shoulders, mainly her bare arms. Her upper torso finally covered. Much better. “So you won't get cold.” 

In the middle of summer. She chuckled. Subtle, yet pleasant to hear. The jacket, made out of cotton felt comfortable to be in. 

"Let's go." 

 

 

 

 

= = = = = = = 

 

 

 

Seolhee found herself entering one of Seoul's luxurious boutique, following the man escorting her. The boutique itself appeared to be posh with attendants lining up for her arrival. A woman in a different uniform, perhaps their superior came forward. "Good afternoon, Miss Baek. Welcome to La Femme. On Mr. Kim's orders, we're here to prepare you for the evening."

She claps, on cue two attendants move to her left and right. The others dispersed to their respective stations, pulling out dresses and boxes of shoes.

I know what this is.

The guy brings the girl to a boutique to give her a full body makeover. Like Kim Bum did to Kim So Eun in Boys Over Flowers, to help get even on her cheating ex-boyfriend. Or Wooyoung transforming nerdy IU in Dream High.

But, no one's cheating on Seolhee and she's already pretty, not a nerd.

What was this about?

"Allow me, Miss Baek." The man, who turned out to be a chaffeur already left, leaving her in the hands of La Femme's staffs. The girl got whisked away into the salon. First class treatment were presented to her from head to toe. The service felt exquisite yet she could not avoid being overwhelmed.

"Miss Baek, your skin is so smooth."

"You have fair skin. Any colour suits you."

"This dress looks good on you. What do you think?" 

Compliments after compliments, yet the one she was looking for showed no sign of himself. Where is Sungkyu? What's the purpose of all of this?

Is this how he treated his previous girlfriends? Shower them in luxury as a sign of his affection? Was this all he needed to win their heart?

But, they weren't a official couple. At least, he hasn't asked her yet.

"Do you like me?"

"I think I do,"

Ah, why did I kiss him! She grunted mentally, recalling their previous meeting. Her boldness sure to turn him off. Now he's going to think I'm an easy woman. Way to go, Seolhee... Her nose scrunched while immersed in her own thoughts.

"You may open your eyes now, Miss Baek."

When she did, another person greeted her in the mirror. Whoa. That's her, specifically, her reflection. For a moment, she was in awe.

Guess makeup really do wonders.

"Ready to go, miss Baek?"

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

Driving his car, Hoya parked on the roadside, somewhere unfamiliar to Yejin. Through the view she deduced they were in the heart of the city, not far from Seolhee’s premise. Still checking out the location, she failed to notice Hoya had already got out of the vehicle. Where is he taking me?

Until they stopped in front of a restaurant. Munhwa Diner. The traditional looking restaurant displays its name right on top of the entrance. I'm hungry. The delicious aroma was more than enough to . The restaurant owner, sitting at the counter greeted his two customers with a welcoming smile. "The usual table, Howon-ssi?"

"Yes, please." The latter nodded. Yejin r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter