Episode 50

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제50회 

 

 

 

 

She knew this would happen.

The only thing she did not expect was the four of them coming all at once. The four of them stood before them, each with different expressions but with the same goal; to find out Yejin’s whereabouts. Seolhee feels reluctant.

“Sorry, I don’t know where she is.”

It brought a mix of disappointment and frustration in a chorus. Her answer was unlikely; she was her best friend and Yejin’s sister was here too. “Same goes with me. She didn’t answer any of my calls.” The young girl shrugged, supporting Seolhee’s previous revelation. Both of them have no idea where Yejin went. The girl disappeared into thin air.

He wished for a hint through Seolhee’s tone of voice, eyes or the same thing from Yejin’s sister but none. Both of them looked too natural to lie. In addition, they were both important within Yejin’s circle. The first person she would contact with would be them.

[3:37 PM] Message has not been read.

“Oh, come on!” Dongwoo vents out openly, his voice overlaps Hoya’s defeated sigh. He’s equally frustrated albeit it has been less than a day since he learned about her disappearance.

He can still remember how warm she felt in his arms. Every of her hair was soothing, putting a spell to chase away all his worries from searching her all over the place before that.

The taste of her lips was even better, so addicting that it took him days to forget the lingering taste on his lips. When he saw her with Woohyun, he was so mad that even the same taste almost drives him to the edge.

No other man can ever have that but him. That taste was his, only his.

“So, which one of them is my future brother in-law?” Eunjin leans towards Seolhee, further whispering question into her ear. “Is it him?” She pointed to Sungkyu, dashing in his suit despite in a worry. His usual mask was charisma and confidence. This side of him reminds her of their first date in her apartment. “No.” Unfortunately, she answers way too quickly.

Eunjin smirks at once. “Ah, I see. He’s my ‘brother in-law’.” Adding the air quote was deliberate action. She saw him once at Café Bloom and again in Seolhee’s phone. Yejin could get her facts straightened though; he looked less icy in person. She gave a teasing nudge to Seolhee, approving her man of choice.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

“The guys?”

“Sungkyu, Hoya and Dongwoo.”

“Oh.” Yejin’s long pause, she found it quite intriguing. Mentioning Hoya must’ve triggered the butterflies in her stomach as any girl in love would have. They may be kilometers away but years of friendship provided her enough knowledge about the longing in Yejin’s voice. She misses Hoya.

“Would you like me to tell him?”

Another long pause follows. Yejin must be flustered. The reasoning enlightens Seolhee. “Jin?” Her silence is the first considering her lively character but Seolhee takes it as a good sign. Yejin must’ve been upset that Hoya missed his cue. Silly girl. Falling in love is a good thing.

“Don’t tell him or anyone. Please?”  

She had been in the similar situation. Yejin needs space, Seolhee understands. Currently going away will give her some peace of mind. “Anything for my lovely Jin.”

“By the way, is there any chance you need a part-timer at the café?”

Having Yejin around would be more than helpful. Her initial plan was to have Yejin working side by side in the café if it wasn’t for Yejin’s former day job at Kwon Agency. “Well, I do need extra time for recovery. A lovely, caring nurse by my side sounds nice.” Seolhee teases, virtually showing off love for her best friend.

Even without seeing, she can be sure Yejin is smiling at the other end. Keep smiling. You look prettier that way.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

“May I?”  

She straightened her back, keeping calm as possible before allowing his entrance. “Please, have a seat.”

He accepted her invitation, occupying the visitor’s chair beside Seolhee. Another man, his subordinate, placed a bouquet next to Seolhee’s bed. Sunflowers, her favorite flower, delight her with its vibrant yellow color albeit from whom it was. “I was told that you like sunflowers.”

Seolhee nodded in reply. “Thank you.” Despite the courtesy, having doubt growing inside of her is inevitable. The purpose of his visit surely not only out of concern. Seolhee hides her sweaty palms under the covers waiting for the visitor to reveal his true intention.

“I’m sure you’ve heard about me,” Seolhee nods again.

“You’re Sungkyu’s grandfather.” He once told her about his family; lost his parents in his childhood, grandparents who took him in and a younger brother who is a famous idol singer. Sungkyu’s grandfather also known as President Kim owns Woollim Group, one of the business empires in South Korea. In comparison with his wealthy status and her common background, shec can’t bring herself to address President Kim. The fact itself still intimidates her.

When President Kim gestures his subordinate to leave the room, she knew she had to brace herself.

The old man presses his lips together, studying every inch of her facial features. Fair, long eyelashes, porcelain skin and blush colored cheeks; the girl is a true beauty despite currently being ill. He can see why his grandson fell for her.

“My wife told me she offered you a sum of money in exchange for leaving Sungkyu. You turned it down?”

Seolhee nods.

“Do you regret it?”

No hesitation, she shook her head this time.

“You’re really something.” Contradicting to the tone of his voice, the words pierced more like a bullet. However, her father used to say not to judge a people by its cover, thus the offense was kept to herself. The content of their meeting was no different than when Madame Kim approached her, subtle yet forward.

It’s okay. Her inner voice resonate comfort. After all, she already made up her mind. “I have something to say.”

Her courage is quite admirable. “Go on,”

“I am aware of your purpose today. Sungkyu and I, um…” She briefly stumbles, pursing her lips before she continues. “When he first came to my shop, his attitude irked me so much that I wished he would never come back. But then, he did and he kept coming until I could no longer push him away. He became someone important to me, someone that is capable of breaking my heart and makes me cry.”

“Did he make you cry?”

Seolhee nodded.

“He’s that annoying but I’d prefer it more than not seeing him any day. I think he grew on me.” The confession wasn’t what she was going for, nor did she intend to be talking i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter