Episode 64

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제64회 

 

 

 

Is it normal to wake up in the morning and the first thing to do is smile?

Is it normal to catch a glimpse of him everywhere, be reminded of him even by the smallest things?

Is it normal to get butterflies in your stomach when someone gave you things that you like?

Not normal! It’s not when that person is bound to marry someone else. I am not normal! Why do I have such a weak heart? Shin Yejin, you’re terrible…

“Director Nam will see you now,” His assistant spoke to Yejin, opening the door for the lady to enter. She returned her gratitude in the same manner, adding a smile to her gesture. The door closes behind her, now giving her privacy to speak with Woohyun.

Now if you excuse me, I have a score to settle.

The chair he was sitting on swivels towards the girl standing before him, his gaze went back and forth between the bouquet slammed on the desk and crossed-looking Yejin. This is interesting. “Care to explain?” She asks, delaying no more on her demand. “This was you, wasn’t it?”

Last night, my room was filled with roses, literally everywhere when I got back. I wasn’t so sure of who the sender was but now I am. Who else would have access to my room or have the power to get someone into my room and did that? It must be him!

I don’t know what psychological game he’s playing but it is, sort of, working. 

He picked one of the roses, playing it in his hand momentarily distracting himself from looking at Yejin’s anger. It is hard to restrain his muscles from stretching a smile. He would love to see her reaction but this too is quite entertaining. Is this why Sungkyu used to make the girl tick?

“How can you be so sure? There’s no card attached to it.”

“I’m sure it was you.” She added, now changing her tone to an interrogative one. He gave it to me once when I took him out one day, remember? Then… “Were you also the one following me at the trail?”

“Trail?”

Don’t play dumb. Look at me in the eye and say it!

“Hmm, I’m not sure. Maybe?”

“Maybe?” Either yes or no. Answer properly!

 He had not been anywhere the trail as she claimed, yet it might be the work of Kyungsoo’s team. One of them had a skill in being stealthy, particularly tailing a person to obtain information through their body language. If he is correct, it should be them. “How can you be so sure?” Woohyun asks anyway, putting the rose along with his pens and pencils. “Were you hoping it’s from me?”

It’s a given her face turns red as a tomato. He was a reserved guy on day one, quiet and mysteriously charming with his bike. He proved himself good enough when he came to my rescue a few times. He’s a friend in need and a shoulder to lean on.

Oh, I can’t take it. She is not used to this side of him; all confident, manly and charisma in his looks. He resembles Sungkyu in the past but less cold knowing the former’s personality. This new version of Woohyun had too much pride to give in first.

 “I’m sure you were,” He said, purposely enjoying the blush on her cheeks.

Look at him talking. It’s too cheesy! “Have you ever thought how you fiancée would feel if she knew about this? Women get jealous easily.”

Woohyun paused, humming an unfamiliar tone while thinking about what she said. “She wouldn’t mind.”

You’re a guy, what do you know about a woman’s heart? Men think women get upset for no reason but there were many reasons they do not aware of. They just do not want to say it out loud because they want men know what they did wrong like now. Ah, you're stressing me out!

He caught her at the best moment when her guard down, her wrist was pinned down to the desk without a warning to allow him close the gap between them as he seized the chance to bring his teasing up to a new level. “Yejin, are you upset right now?”

"Of course I am!" What woman in her right mind stays calm when her man goes after other woman. If it was me- wait, am I saying this out loud? Did he hear me? The realization came late, she gulped noting how his face was only inches away from hers and if any one of them moves their lips will meet. He'd also be able to hear her heart beating like drums. 

He, however, heard it loud and clear. "Good." He said, pulling away first.

On cue, Joohee opens the door yet late enough to see Yejin and Woohyun’s ‘intimacy’ which the latter was thankful for. She bid farewell to the director in manner, refusing eye contact with Joohee in case the woman might detect her anxiety.

Woohyun settles down in his seat, welcoming Joohee pleasantly like any day, only today she caught the hint from Yejin’s former presence and Woohyun’s jubilant mood. “What was that about? Am I interrupting something?” She asked, noticing Woohyun’s assistant guarding the door unlike the usual accompanying him inside the room. Then, Yejin came out keeping their eye contact at a minimal level. “I assume you two did something behind my back?” She added- with air quotes.

Again, Woohyun plays with the rose in his hand. It wasn’t that or the fact he’s swiveling his chair but the plastered grin on his face tempting Joohee to guess his thoughts.

 “Apparently, women get jealous easily.”

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

Brat. All rich guys are. He’s rich now and he did what he did so he also falls in the same category.

“Wow. Were you really that angry?”

“Yes.” Yejin answered Eunjin’s question, fixing pins on her hair at the same time. They were getting ready for tonight’s event, Jaejin and Yuna’s wedding dinner rehearsal. “You would do the same. Do you know what he said? He’ll revoke Jaejin’s winning privileges including the wedding unless I react accordingly. What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“I am the one who should be asking you, dear sister.” Eunjin reminded her sister, patting foundation on her skin. The room went back as before, no bouquet of roses put on every inch of its space thanks to Yejin. She requested them to be removed earlier that day. “You gave back the roses that he sent you. My poor brother in-law...”

Yejin paused. Brother in-law? “Who? Him?”

“If he’s someone that my sister likes, then he’s my brother in-law. Am I right?” The younger continues, lifting her eyebrows solely for the joy of teasing. Ugh. It was her passion that manages to persuade Yejin.

That was cheating! Filling my room with lovely roses, though I do have to admit it was kind of sweet but it’s still cheating. Okay, now I’m starting to regret getting rid of the roses.

I was doing well for the past year. Now I’m back to square one.

“I hate you.”

“I hate you too.” Eunjin reciprocates willingly.   

 

 

 

The rehearsal dinner went smoothly- thankfully- and there were no signs of interruptions along the way aside from relatives that were greatly concerned of Yejin's future marriage. Now that my beloved brother is getting hitched, I am due next or so they said. But I have to find one first.

Yejin and Eunjin accompanied their parents bidding farewell to their relatives and close family friends for the night. No matter how much Woohyun occupies her mind, she did her best not to let it show. The main stars tonight are Jaejin and Yuna, not Yejin and Woohyun.

"Mum, Dad, I have something to tell you." Eunjin said suddenly, linking arms with her father as they walk side by side luring their attention including Yejin and Mrs. Shin's.

Her next words are a mystery, however, the mischievous grin of hers gave a ominous feeling for Yejin to deduce from.

"You see... There's this someone... Yejin..."

No! Don't tell them. You can't tell them!  What were you thinking? Yejin rejects strongly, desperately pleading through body languages to convey her message to her sister.

I'll tell them.

They don't need to know. Don't tell them!

They do. I'm going to introduce my future brother in-law.

Say it and I'll kill you. The glint in her eyes change to a threatening one as the younger insists refusal to obey Yejin. The latter had to play dumb as Mrs. Shin caught their gestures. "Hmm?" She faked innocence as meeting with her father's gaze.

Yah, Shin Eunjin! She wants to scold her out loud but doing so in front of their parents would be impossible without suspicion. Eunjin celebrates her success alone, dancing happily behind her mother knowing sooner or later curiosity will get the best of this particular conversation. It was her goal anyway.

"What is it?"

An employee interrupts them, greeting the family politely before producing a budding rose in his hand, giving it to Yejin. Having manners, Yejin thanked him before he walks away. He is the porter who helps the hotel guest with their luggage. But why is he giving me-

Another employee- female this time- approaches her also with a pink rose. Yejin said thanks like as before, now holding two roses in her hand.

The receptionist, as they walk by the front desk- ironically the same place Yejin lost her face yesterday, rushes out to Yejin presenting her with the third rose and also addressing her respectfully.

What is going on?

Every hotel employee that was passing has a rose for Yejin; the fourth, fifth, sixth until she lost count but the number forms a bouquet of colorful roses in her hand. It was a lovely surprise yet at the same time it made her uncomfortable in front of her parents. Eunjin was the only one who got excited by the puzzling event and the sight of flowers like any girl would.

“Twenty four, it means ‘I’m thinking of you all day long’.” She let out a big gasp, loud and dramatic on purpose. “Oh, so romantic! Who could it be?”

Again, they began telepathy as Yejin reminds Eunjin to keep her lips sealed. Don’t you dare say another word. She kept her facial expression discreet while communicating with only their eyes. “Ah, I see where this goes. It's for Mum but the hotel staffs must have recognized the wrong lady. Dad, you're really something!” She laughs awkwardly, not wanting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter