Episode 20

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제20회

 

 

"You have to jump!" He looked up, where Yejin was at. The girl peered outside the elevator and immediately glued herself to the wall. She frantically waved both hands in midair with absolute horror saying, "I can't." He let out a huff. She was afraid of the height. It can't be helped. 

He can't reach to her due to the position of the elevator stopped between the third and fourth floor. Finding a ladder would be a hassle. Thus, the best way to escape is to jump out.

"It's okay. You're going to be fine." He tried persuasion this time. The situation needed to he handled delicately. "It's too dangerous." She hissed in fear. "I'm going to-" 

"No, you won't." His arms extended upwards towards his neighbor. Despite the fear, Yejin focused her gaze on him for assurance. He bit his lip before continuing, "I'll catch you when you fall." 

She had the same expression when she fell asleep on his couch the other night; hoping for security. 

To ease her, he initiated the counting. "One, two, th-"

"Hoya!" Yejin let out a scream as she threw herself to Hoya. Both bodies fell to the ground. Fortunately, his reflex allowed him to catch her on time. She ended up on top of him with his hands around her waist. When she opened her eyes again, Yejin let out a gasp. 

"I'm sorry! I should've jumped after three." She started to ramble given the adrenaline rush. "Does it hurt? Let me see." Her eyes went wild searching for any signs of injury. "I am quite heavy. You might fracture a bone or-"

"Thank goodness. You're safe." All the negative thoughts he had earlier disappeared once he pulled her into his chest. The more he her hair, more anxiety washed away thus clearing his mind. "Yeah. But are you sure you're not hurt somewhere? Sometimes you won't feel it until it's too late. I saw it in a drama once-" He quickly cut her off by cupping her cheeks. "Yejin, look at me. It's okay." He stared into her eyes and repeated the sentence. "It's okay." 

Slowly, she nodded. It was then he noticed her lips quivering, fast breathing and cold hands when she touched him earlier.

She was terrified. 

"Guys?" 

Sungkyu and Woohyun were there, one on the left and the other on the right side. Hoya clenched his teeth. 

He didn't like the way they looked at Yejin.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

“I don’t eat sweet things.” 

Her smile faltered. Oh. “You don’t eat sweet things?” She repeated out of consciousness with disappointment. I should’ve seen this coming. Yejin has to come up with an alternative. The dessert was made with care and attention, throwing it away will be a total waste. “In that case, it’s for Sungyeol then. Can you give this to him? Thanks.” As the plate went to Hoya, the fragrant vanilla infiltrates his sense of smell. 

He loves vanilla.  

“Good night.” The girl gave him a subtle smile before walking back to her apartment. He waited five seconds before entering his own apartment. The plate was put on the table to let him put away his shoes first. 

The pudding was later kept in the refrigerator with a note for Sungyeol. From Yejin. He wrote. Sungyeol had gone to bed but it will surely be gone in the morning. His cousin has a sweet tooth. 

"That is why, I am telling you to be a man. You already suffered for three years. It's time to move on." Hoya turns the car as they went into Dongwoo's apartment complex. "This has nothing to do with Yejin though." 

"I didn't say it has

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter