Episode 11

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N : One word to explain the picture above; dramatic. It's going to be dramatic. Let's see about that. Back to the story. 

 

 

 

제11회 

 

 

 

I don’t understand. He took another sip of the coffee, now gone cold after many hours passed. There’s something wrong with this. He opened the lid, hoping to find it by looking inside the cup. To his disappointment, the liquid looked the same as any other coffee. 

He closed the lid again. Then, he sighed. 

It doesn’t taste the same as the day before.

He remembered the aroma of coffee and the moment he took a sip, he was surprised when he expected a strong bitter taste yet it was balanced perfectly even without the addition of cream or milk. 

Today it was made with the same ingredients, same methods and even bought from the same place. Yet he felt that something was missing.

As Sungkyu ws still immersed in his own guessing game, Yejin was out to buy coffee. Fortunately, Sunwoong was there to help her so they split the task and went off to five premises each. She was already on her fourth visit when she came out with two bags of takeout drinks in her hand. At this point, the scent of coffee beans was nauseating. She puts the coffee in the back of her car for safekeeping and settles down on the driver’s seat. 

I swear, Kim Sungkyu is a crazy genius. Genius, but crazy. Yejin gulped on her regular drink, caramel macchiato from Café Bloom to quench her thirst. I am going to claim money on everything; the coffees, gas and my precious energy. Her phone rang and she answered, it was from Sunwoong. “Are you done yet?” 

“I still have one more to go. What about you?”

“I have two more. Meet me in front of the office and I’ll have Daejun and Nara to help us.” 

“Cool. See you later.” She hung up and the phone sat on the dashboard again. Since the last one was only five minutes away, she could easily walk and retrieve the last batch. 

Let’s just get this over with. 

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

 

“I thought you were exaggerating but this is too much!” Nara gasped at the sight of the coffees. Daejun was no different; his jaw dropped seeing it for the first time in his life. It was like they were handing out free coffees for the whole floor. Yejin blew a raspberry. All that was left is to bring them all upstairs. 

“Coming through!” The four of them move simultaneously, forcing everyone to clear path for them. Sunwoong and Daejun being gentlemen offered to carry extra one for the ladies and in return they helped pressing the elevator button. 

“Is that for us?” 

“You’ll have it when we’re done. Now, stay out of our way. These are very heavy." Nara growled, forcing Jaeho to budge and pressed his back to the wall so they can enter the department. 

Panting and losing their breaths, the four of them arranged the coffees in the meeting room. Yejin and Sunwoong had each drink labeled so they can easily identify every single one of them. For quicker results, they summoned the rest of the department. They were asked to grab a cup, sample the drink and review it. The reviews were then collected and used for comparisons. 

Thanks to their colleagues, the task completed in no time. “Thank goodness. I thought I was going to die from caffeine overdose.” Nara cheered, shoving all the empty cups into the trash bag. The meeting room was clean again, courtesy of the guys. “Will you be okay?” 

Yejin nodded, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand. “I’ll be reporting to Director Kim and then head home. Thanks guys. I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Don’t mention it. We felt bad for leaving you two on the Nova assignment.” Sunwoong sealed the plastic bags by tying them up. “Good luck with Director Kim. I hope he will be pleased with the results.” He left the room following Daejun and Nara. Yejin fixes her ponytail and the crease of her skirt. 

He better be.

Sungkyu was still in his office. Aside from TK Group’s campaign, they have another assignment at the moment. “Director Kim,” The latter kept his eyes glued to his computer screen and his fingers running on the keyboard. “We did what you asked for. Here are the comparisons that I already sorted out and summarized, I also included the receipts for the purchase to claim from the accounting department later.” He said nothing but a soft hum escaped from his lips.Yejin noticed the paper bag was still there and the coffee cup right next to it. It was the lipstick mark on the brim of the cup that made her realized.

He just made her drink coffee from his cup. 

The sunflower logo was indeed familiar, the one she missed before. Now it all makes sense. "Can I have that again?" Sungkyu looked up to Yejin with confusion yet full of curiosity. Yejin eased him with a reassuring smile. He waited for her to speak since figuring her thoughts is the question. 

"Hmm," She her lips. "You think there's something wrong with this one, didn't you?" He nodded. Her lips slowly curved up to a smile. "Compared to the one that I brought you yesterday?" He nodded again. 

All those running around for this... She silently chuckled, mentally celebrating the solved mystery. "What is it?" 

I can't believe this. Kim Sungkyu is falling into the drama. 

"Shin Yejin, if you want to keep your job, you better tell me what's going on." Her smile faded. He can't be serious. He crossed his arms now, it was her turn to be anxious. 

He is serious.

"Alright, I'll admit it!" 

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

    

 

 

"I have a complaint to make." Seolhee froze from the minute Sungkyu walked into the cafe and went straight to the counter right where she was. In his hand was a cup of coffee from Cafe Bloom. Americano, or so she was told. "What can I do for you?" 

Maybe yelling at Yejin's boss the other day wasn't the best idea. 

"I don't like this." He puts the cup on the counter, clearly with dissatisfaction o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter