Episode 57

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

제57회

 

 

 

I remember our first kiss.

It's a bold move, though he did warn me beforehand, I was not expecting anything until he pressed his lips on mine. After all, I've seen it in dramas and the girl looked horrible doing it with it her eyes open.

I did close my eyes, I think. I'm sure.

At that time, it was sweet. He was manly, he made my heart flutter and my head went dizzy but a good kind. He held me as if I'm the most precious thing in the world. I feel like in the scene of a drama except I became the main character. I am.

It was perfect.

She places both hands on his chest, gently parting their lips to allow full oxygen supply in her lungs after some time. This is nothing new for both of them yet as a girl Yejin’s blush is inevitable. She chose to look down at her shoes temporarily, praying for her heartbeat to return to its pace.  The cold night was briefly forgotten because of the heated moment.

His thumb touched the bottom of her chin, slowly lifting it up to match their gaze. It was this expression that he kept seeing in his sleep, every morning when he wakes up and every time he walks into an elevator. It was the innocent brown eyes belonged to Shin Yejin that he fell in love with.

He fell in love with Shin Yejin.

“I-it’s getting really late now. My grandmother must be expecting me.” She managed to recollect herself eventually. Every symptom is familiar; the blush, the heartbeat, anxiety plus extra adrenaline except the shaking of her fingertips. Her nails are a mix of blue and pinkish hues reacting to her body temperature.

Hoya was left with no choice but a nod. The colors moved on to her lips, quivering as she speaks. He ped his jacket with an intention to protect her from the cold breeze and only then he took notice.

She’s already wearing one.

 

 

 

I should say it. Just say it! She clears once, her lips stealthily before giving a reply.

“Good night.”

Though he wished for the world to stop spinning, Yejin’s condition is far more important than spending more time with her thus instead of walking he drove back to Grandma Shin’s residence.

He said it. He said he loves her. Delaying the confession became a total regret, it felt good to let it out of his chest and he gets to relive the addictive taste of her lips.

Strangely, her lips tasted differently this time. Her skin was icy cold but he cared less.

It wasn’t her. It was the fact she played in the water earlier. She came home all drenched, that’s it.

“Go in,” He spoke. “You’ll catch a cold.” He touches her left cheek, hoping to transfer a bit of warmth through his fingertips. Yejin had not spoken a single word since then but it was barely understandable.

She spent longer time waiting for him. It was only fair for him to do the same. After all, he already said it. A little longer wouldn’t hurt. “Great. I’ll call you tomorrow.” He finally admits with a confident smile.

Sweet Hoya is very new to me. I’d literally squeal like a little girl right now if it wasn’t for this splitting headache. 

As the door closes behind her, Yejin regains freedom to breathe. Her senses are rejuvenated after holding her breath for so long; it only came to her until now. Note to self, next time do not jump into the water before someone kisses you. She exhales once more. Ah, I almost forgot.

Woohyun.

The first floor was already out of lights, except for the ones on the porch and the back; meaning her grandmother has already gone to bed.  Woohyun went home before she did, so does that means he too has gone to bed…? 

His jacket. He put it on her on their way home. The fabric served well to protect her from the cold, though it didn’t do much to reduce the bothering chilliness but Woohyun was equally exposed as she was.

She made sure her steps were quick yet stealthy all the way upstairs.

One.

Two.

Three.

Yejin paused in front of the second room. She looked down to her feet, no lights from under the door meaning Woohyun too decided to call it a night.

I didn’t have a chance to return this jacket…

 

 

 

He stayed quiet, eyeing her shadow until the door next to his produces a closing sound, then finally he was put to ease. Though he switched the lights off, the beaming street lamp peeking through the window glass keeps him awake in time of slumber.

The door creaks again, but not his, then another door as he heard it shut. It takes no genius to guess; Yejin went to the bathroom, probably to wash up after soaking in the sea. He too had done the same earlier.

Good. That got rid one of his worries. He pulls the blanket up to his stomach; one hand went behind his head with his gaze fixed up to the ceiling. The color white helps him to collect his thoughts. It supposed to. 

Sleep is the best cure, or so he thought. All he has to do is close his eyes, forget everything and wake up to sunrise; as simple as that. Reminiscing today’s events is not in his current favor.

Thanks to a guy, today became the worst day ever.

“Woohyun…”

Wait a minute. Yejin paused. The walls between the rooms were built thin, she found out back then when she once caught Jaejin quietly practicing for the school’s talent show. He said he was as good as Eun Jiwon, huh! Yeah, right. She was certain of the rustling sound she heard a while ago, which must means the person next door is still awake. Or is he?

“Are you asleep?”

A gentle knock on the wall, she tried once, then twice, but nothing. A minute passed in awkward silence.

He must be in Dreamland already.

Her head landed on the pillow, lying on her back choosing to gaze at the ceiling. I used to have a thing for stars when I was a kid. Glow-in-the-dark stickers was a trend back the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter