Episode 27

The Heroine's Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

제27회 

 

 

 

"Shin Yejin?" Yejin stopped before two men in a suit. "Yes?"

"We need you to come with us."

This situation is similar to the time when Myungsoo invited her to lunch. She glanced at the black Mercedes parked on the side of the street. Deja vu. Yejin tightened her grip on her purse. "I refuse."

That's it. I'm bailing this conversation. Yejin spun on her heels but the men were a step ahead. They cornered her at the front and on her back.

Seriously, kidnapping me in broad daylight?

The men suddenly backed off, returning space to Yejin. They bowed, not to her but to their master. "Pardon me, miss. They didn't mean to scare you." He took off his hat, revealing strands of grey hair and aging wrinkles on his face. He looked nothing dangerous with his diplomatic smile. "If you don't mind, may I have a word with you?"

That old man didn't look dangerous. I mean, he had bodyguards and all but can't judge a book by it's cover.

Maybe rich people do enjoy my company over lunch. Who knows?

"I see you've been here before." The old man spoke, letting the waiter leave with their order before he continues. "A friend brought me here once." Yejin opted for a safe response with no need to mention Myungsoo. She kept her back straight and both hands on her lap, appropriate when facing an elder. He had an intense gaze on her but something about his features that seems familiar.

"Do you know who I am?"

Yejin shook her head. Have we met before? She searched through her memory, looking into past encounters yet nothing relates to the old man. Sensing her confusion, finally he let out a smile. "I am Woohyun's uncle."

“Yuseok is my cousin.”

“Grandfather mentioned you yesterday.”

Uncle? Now that she knew, she noticed a slight resemblance of him to Woohyun. "I'm sorry for not recognizing you earlier! Nice to meet you, grand- sir! My name is Shin Yejin." She finished her introduction with a proper greeting, brushing off the vibe between them.

Unlike Yuseok, his fatherly figure was evident.

Fair skin, healthy figure and  average height.  Yejin and his nephew physically is a good match. However, he knew better. Looks can be deceiving.

"How long you've known my nephew?"

Yejin paused, mentally calculating. "Four months? He works for my friend at the cafe." The waiter came, serving tea prior to their meal.

"What do you think of him?"

Yejin took a sip of the tea. Green tea. Bitter, but good for the body. "He's a good guy. He saved me twice. Have a drink, sir."

Daehwan did as he was told to. Deliberately, he takes two more sips while his eyes trained on her gestures. The girl had both hands on her lap. She looked calm and natural, not even a hint of hostility in her eyes. The curves of his lips slowly went upwards. 

"I approve you."

"Pardon?" Did he just say he approve me?

Daehwan broke into laughter, revealing his grin. The young lady has yet to figure out the reason of his amusement. "You're a very nice girl. A good catch for my nephew."

Wait a minute. Did he think...  Yejin panicked, waving her hands frantically. "There seems to be a misunderstanding. You see, Woohyun and I were not…" Immediately, his jubilant expression faltered. 

"You're not his girlfriend?" She shook her head in response.

"The two of you aren't dating?" Nope.

"So, he's not in love with you?" Unlikely. He's in love with Seol- Never mind. “I’m just a friend."

His shoulders dropped along with a frustrated sigh. "I see." Let me get this straight. He brought me here because he thought I was dating Woohyun? Yejin watched the old man looking disappointed with the revelation. All of sudden, she felt sorry for breaking the news to him.

Yejin proceed with caution, “Were you… upset?”

Not entirely. At some point he got dejected learning that their relationship was not romantic. Yet, meeting her in person cleared things up. The girl turned out to be lovely. Somehow, she managed to get his nephew open up to her.

Most importantly, she was there in his need.

Yejin peeked, notified by the old man’s silence. Her fidgeting becomes more obvious as time passes by. She mentally scolds herself for blurting out nonsense and probably acting improper somewhere along the way. Related to Woohyun or not, he is an elder. “Sir?”

“Drop the formalities.” He finally spoke, his smile returned. “I prefer you calling me ‘uncle’. If I have a niece, I wish she will be like you.”

Again, Yejin proved herself to be full of charms.

 

 

 

= = = = = = =

 

 

 

Seolhee was nervous.

For the past two hours, almost, she spent the time rummaging through her closet. Most of her clothes were taken out, now piling up on the bed. She stood in front of the mirror examining the dress she’s currently wearing.

They’re officially an item. They exchanged the three words, sealed it with kisses and spent hours lying on their back, looking at the stars.

Suddenly, everything felt new to her. There’s the giddiness and butterflies in her stomach. The indescribable things as he kissed her.

Oh, the joy falling in love.

Today is their first date. After a few more tries, Seolhee settles on a Siamese strap shorts and long sleeved shirt. Per to Yejin’s advice, she did her hair in a casual braid.

Rules to impress. Dresses bring out the girl in you, but save it for special occasions. A simple look keeps you fresh and more approachable.

She jumped at the sound of the doorbell. He’s here. Checking her reflection one more time, her steps became lighter towards the door. Her smile grew as the door opens, revealing Sungkyu at the other side. “Hi,”

“Hey,” A small peck landed on her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter