There and back

Lone Wolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Here's an update! Enjoy!

 

 

 

          Yeri is lying down on her bed, feeling uneasy. She kept on tossing and turning but it didn’t make her feel better.

 

“What is this feeling? I don’t like it.”

 

            She sat up and glanced at the bedside table. She looked at the photo of her and Jaehoon, both of them are making dorky faces while posing for the camera.

 

“Oppa looks funny in this photo. It’s been years but his face still cracks me up.” Yeri said to herself.

 

          While she’s laughing, the picture frame slipped from her hands. It fell on the floor as the glass broke to pieces.

 

“Oh no… It’s broken…”

 

          She tried to pick up the shards of glass but she ended up cutting her finger.

 

“Ahh! That hurts…”

 

          Yeri looked at her finger as it bled.

 

“I might as well get some bandage before I clean up this mess.”

 

          While she’s patching up her wound, her thoughts drifted to her brother.

 

“I hope Jaehoon oppa is alright…” She thought as she sighed deeply.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Where am I? Why is it so dark? I can’t see anything… Wait, there’s light coming from over there.”

 

          Jaehoon was blinded by the light almost immediately. When he opened his eyes and looked around, he noticed that he was standing in the middle of a flower field.

 

“What am I doing here? Where’s everyone? Where’s Seulgi? Seulgi!”

 

          He shouted, but then he was surprised when he suddenly heard a voice.

 

“Hey kid! Shut up! You’re too noisy!”

 

          He looked at the source of the voice and he saw a guy lying down under a tree on top of a hill. Jaehoon immediately went over to him.

 

“Excuse me. Where am I?”

“You’re right here standing in front of me.” The guy answered. His face is covered by a straw hat.

“I mean, what is this place called?”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

“I just don’t.”

 

          Jaehoon almost gave up asking the guy when a middle-aged couple suddenly appeared from nowhere.

 

“Minwoo-ya, you’re picking on someone again?”

“I’m not! This guy is bothering me while I’m trying to sleep!”

 

          The woman faced Jaehoon and bowed apologetically.

 

“I’m sorry for my son’s behavior. He’s not usually like this.”

“It’s alright. I just want to know where I am.”

“You’re in— huh? Youngmin, look.”

 

          She turned to her husband and the man looked at Jaehoon. He was as surprised as her.

 

“Youngmin-ah, you two look exactly alike.” The woman said.

“You're right, Sunhee-ah...”

 

          The two guys looked at each other at the same time. It was like looking at a mirror.

 

“Young man, what’s your name?”

“My name is Kim Jaehoon.”

“You’re a Kim?”

“Yes?”

“Give me your right hand.”

 

          Jaehoon did as he was told and Youngmin sighed as he took his hand.

 

“Not again…”

“Why? What is it?” Jaehoon asked.

“You also have the mark.”

“How did you know about the mark?”

“Because I’m the one who caused that.”

“Tch, I almost killed everyone because of that.” Minwoo mumbled, but loud enough for his father to hear it.

“Minwoo! Stop talking about things like that!” His mother Sunhee reprimanded him.

“I know. Don’t you think I’ve realized that already? A lot of generations have passed, you know.”

 

          Youngmin looked at Jaehoon and he has a confused look on his face.

 

“Surprised?”

“That means…”

“Yes, I’m your ancestor. I’m Kim Youngmin.”

 

          Jaehoon took a step back and took a deep breath.

 

“If you’re my ancestor, then it means that I’m dead?”

“Most likely. What was the last thing you remember?”

“When the mark took over, I can’t remember things clearly. Oh, I got shot three times. After that, everything went black.”

“You got shot three times? Wow. That’s awesome!” Minwoo said as he stood up and dusted off his clothes.

 

          The look on Jaehoon’s face went back to being a confused one.

 

“I mean, that’s sad. You died at such an early age.” He immediately clarified.

“Let’s all sit down for a while.” Sunhee suggested.

“Why? We don’t get tired anyway.” Minwoo answered.

“Just do what I say!”

“Yes, omma.”

 

          They all sat down under the tree and Youngmin began talking.

 

“So Jaehoon, I assume you know our family’s story?”

“Yes. My father told me the day I died.”

“I see. Well, do you hate me?”

“Huh?”

“Do you hate me, Jaehoon?”

“Why would I?”

“You died because of the curse that I made. You must hate me for it.”

“No, I don’t hate you. In fact, I want to thank you for the curse.”

“Well, that’s new. Why?”

“I was able to save my loved ones from danger, even at the cost of my life.”

“That’s stupid.” Minwoo commented again.

“Minwoo, for the last time, stop giving side comments!” Sunhee reprimanded her son again.

“That’s not stupid. That’s very brave and selfless of you, Jaehoon.”

“Thanks.”

“You know, I also died while protecting my loved ones from danger.” Youngmin said, side-eyeing Minwoo a bit too obviously.

“Yes, that’s what the story says.”

“Sadly, someone doesn’t appreciate the sacrifice I made.”

“Because of one stupid tattoo on his son’s right hand, that’s why.” Minwoo said.

“Could you blame me for being angry? I tried to hide the fact that I’m a werewolf for years! I wasn’t planning to hurt anyone, but I lost it when they attacked your mother who was pregnant with you that time! Who wouldn’t be angry after that?”

“Calm down, Youngmin-ah…” Sunhee said to her husband.

“To top it all off, my wife took out my tooth and made it into a necklace! See? Look at this! I’m missing one tooth!” Youngmin opened his mouth and showed Jaehoon the empty space between his teeth.

“I took it to remember you even after you passed away!”

“Also, the necklace kept this stupid mark under control! It’s been very helpful to the bearers of the Mark of Vengeance!” Minwoo added.

 

          The family continued arguing back and forth. When he had enough, Jaehoon faked a cough to get their attention.

 

“Oh… I’m sorry you had to see that.” Sunhee said.

“We’ve been doing this for a while now, so there’s nothing to worry about.” Youngmin said.

 

 

          Then, Youngmin stood up and brushed off his clothes.

 

“So, Jaehoon… Do you want to meet up with the rest of the family? They’ll be happy to meet another relative.”

“Hmm… Okay then. I don’t have anything else to do, since I’m dead anyway.” Jaehoon said as he stood up.

“Sunhee-ah, let’s go and introduce him to the family.”

“As you wish. Minwoo-ah, are you coming?”

“Nope. I’m going to stay here and sleep.”

“You said it yourself. We don’t get tired. Why do you want to sleep?”

“Because I want to.”

“Fine. Let’s go, Youngmin-ah.”

 

          The couple walked on ahead while Jaehoon trailed behind them. But when they reached the end of the flower field, Jaehoon suddenly fell on his back.

 

“Huh? What happened?”

 

          He stood back up and tried to walk, but there’s an invisible force in front of him, preventing him to proceed.

 

“I can’t go any further! There’s something blocking my way!” Jaehoon said to the couple.

 

          Youngmin tried walking back and forth beside Jaehoon to see if there’s something wrong.

 

“I don’t see anything. Try again.”

 

          Jaehoon tried again but he collided with the barrier like the last time.

 

“This can only mean one thing, Jaehoon.”

“What is it?”

“You’re not dead yet.” Youngmin interrupted.

 

          If Jaehoon could be even more confused than he is now, it’s remotely possible.

 

“I thought you said that I’m dead?”

“I didn’t say that you’re dead, I said that you’re most likely dead. Give me your hand again.”

 

          He gave Youngmin his hand as the man closed his eyes and took a deep breath. After a few moments, he opened his eyes again.

 

“Well, what do you know? It’s not your time yet.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“It means that you’re not supposed to be dead. You still have a chance to go back.”

“How would I do that?”

 

          Jaehoon was surprised when Youngmin smirked at him.

 

“You have to defeat me to find out.”

“Wait, what?”

“You heard me. If you manage to do that, I’ll tell you how to get home.”

“I don’t want to fight you.”

“Too bad. You’ll never be able to get back then.”

“Is there any other way?”

“Nope, there isn’t. So, if you don’t want to fight me, I might as well kill you for real!”

 

          After that statement, Youngmin growled and transformed into a huge wolf with fur as white as snow. In a blink of an eye, he pounced on Jaehoon with his claws bared out. Luckily, Jaehoon dodged it at the last moment.

 

“Whoa! Hey! Wait!”

 

          Jaehoon raised his hands up.

 

“What’s the matter? Don’t you want to go back?”

“I want to, but not this way.”

“Very well…”

 

          Youngmin transformed back into a human and he stood in front of Jaehoon.

 

“You’ve passed the test.”

“What? What test?”

“A test which determines the fate of the Kim clan’s future generations. You see, when I attacked you earlier, the Mark of Vengeance was supposed to activate. But seeing that it didn’t, it means that you’re truly sincere in wanting to go back without further violence. Therefore, the mark shall disappear from now on. I’m proud of you.”

 

          He gave Jaehoon a fatherly smile.

 

“So that means, the mark won’t take over again?”

“Yes. It’s gone, forever. You broke the curse, Jaehoon. Thank you.”

“Why? Why does it have to be me?”

“The others before you were not as calm and open-minded as you are. The moment I attacked them, they quickly retaliated so the mark activated and was fully in control of their minds. It’s not called the Mark of Vengeance for nothing. I can’t do anything else other than end their lives.”

“I see… So now, can I go back?”

“Of course. So eager, are we?”

 

          Jaehoon nodded firmly.

 

“Do you see that well over there?” Youngmin pointed at a well near the hill where Minwoo is sleeping.

“Yeah. I see it.”

“Go over there and look at the water. Think of something that you really want to go back to. If you see that on the reflection on the water, you need to dive in.”

“Really? I can go back that way?”

“Yes. You should hurry. If you stay here any longer, you’d really be dead.”

“Okay! Thank you so much!”

 

         He bowed at the couple before he ran back to the well. Youngmin looked at his wife Sunhee with a smile.

 

“Sunhee-ah…”

“Yes?”

“You want to know something funny?”

“What is it?”

“The girl he wants to go back to looks a bit like you. I’m surprised that he didn’t notice it.”

“Really? How did you know?”

“When I held his hand earlier, his thoughts are filled with the girl. He must love her very much.”

“What’s her name?”

“Kang Seulgi.”

“She’s a Kang? Then she must be one of my descendants. They are really destined to be together.”

“I know, Sunhee-ah… I know…”

 

          The couple watched Jaehoon with smiles on their faces.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

          When Jaehoon is about to go to the well, Minwoo’s voice stopped him.

 

“Hey, Jaehoon. Where are you going?”

“To the well. It seems that I’m not supposed to be dead yet.”

“Oh, lucky you then.”

“Thanks.”

“Good luck on your way back, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-Ahh!! You get the idea!”

“I know. Bye, grandpa.”

 

          Minwoo waved him off and Jaehoon walked over to the well. He peeked inside and saw his reflection on the water.

 

“Let’s see… Something that I really want to go back to… Ahh! I know! Seulgi!”

 

          He closed his eyes and tried hard to think of Seulgi along with all the happy times they spent together. When he opened his eyes, he saw Seulgi on the water’s reflection.

 

“Seulgi? Why is she crying? Wait. Is that me lying on the bed? I guess I really died, huh?”

 

          Jaehoon then heard a voice in his mind.

 

“Jaehoon… Come back to me… Please… I need you…”

 

            He stepped back before he spoke.

 

“Well, here goes nothing. Wait for me Seulgi, I’m coming back.”

 

          Jaehoon took a deep breath and held it before he dove into the well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

          As Nayeon and the others were heading to the hospital’s cafeteria, they heard a voice from behind.

 

“Nayeon-ssi!”

 

          They looked back and saw Wendy along with Seungyoon and Taehyun. But then, Seungyoon suddenly grabbed Mark’s collar.

 

“What the hell are you doing here?!”

“I w-was t-trying t-to h-help…” Mark tried to speak while getting choked.

“Bull!”

 

          Seungyoon tried to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter