Chapter 46

Say Yes

 

 

 

Jessica was supposed to go to Sooyoung’s office that afternoon but she fell asleep in the hotel. When she looked at the clock, it was already 7 pm. She figured Sooyoung has gone home already. She paced back and forth the hotel room trying to think what she will say when she sees Sooyoung for the first time after six months. When she finally got the courage to face Sooyoung, she went straight to Hyomin’s apartment. She knocked in the door. Then she heard Sunny’s voice telling Hyomin to check the door.

Hyomin opened the door. She was so shocked when she saw Jessica. It was as if she’s looking at a ghost in front of her.

“Who is it, baby?” Sunny came into view. Sunny had the same reaction as Hyomin. Jessica just smiled at the two.

“I’m back!” Jessica extended her head waiting for a hug. When it finally sank in to then, Hyomin and Sunny ran to hug her.

“Hey, come in.” Hyomin gestured her to come in.

Jessica scanned the place. “Nothing has changed.”

Hyomin smiled. “This one right here likes to clean.” Hyomin said as she put her arms around Sunny.

“So, does Tiffany know that you’re back?” Sunny asked while handing Jessica a glass of orange juice.

“Yeah. I went to lunch with her and Taeyeon. I didn’t know they got married already and they are currently living together. I was so surprised.”

“They didn’t tell us about that either until they came back here.” Sunny said.

“Where are you staying?” Hyomin asked. “Stay here.” Hyomin continued, earning a nudge from Sunny.

Jessica saw that. “No, it’s okay. I’m staying at a hotel. I just came by to see you.” That was not really the full truth but she did not lie as well because she really wanted to see Sunny and Hyomin.

Sunny suddenly felt guilty. “Jessi, I’m sorry. Sooyoung is still staying with us and we don’t know if having you two in the same house is a good idea.

Jessica smiled weakly. “I know that. It’s okay, really. Where is she by the way?” Jessica asked when she finally concluded that the girl she wants to see is still not here.

“She’s coming home late from work.” Hyomin answered her.

“What are you doing here, Jessica? The truth. ” Sunny smilingly asked.

“I…I..just want to…I..”

“You’re here to talk to her?” Sunny asked.

Jessica nodded. “I want her back, Sunny.” She said in a low voice.

“Really?” Sunny sounded happy about it. She kept jumping up and down until Hyomin stopped her and made her sit.

“I thought you wouldn’t support me in this.” Jessica said honestly.

“Maybe if you came back 4 months ago, she won’t.” Hyomin said. “She was mad at you.”

“No, I was not!” Sunny exclaimed.

Sica just smiled while watching the two fight. “This is why I miss you two.”

Hyomin stopped arguing with Sunny. She just let her win. “Bunny, are you sure Sooyoung is coming home tonight?”

“Yup, I asked her before she left this morning.”

“Why? She does not come home sometimes?” Jessica asked.

“Sometimes, she just sleeps at Hara’s place.” Hyomin blurted out without thinking of about what she’s saying. Sunny glared at her.

“Hara?” Jessica became anxious when she heard a girl’s name.

“Oh, it’s just a close colleague from work.” Sunny clarified things.

“Oh.” Jessica doesn’t know why but something tells her Hara is more than a colleague. But she decided to let it go for now.

“Did you prepare your speech already?” Sunny asked.

“I tried to but nothing’s coming to mind. Words are not enough for what I want to make her feel.” Jessica sadly said.

Then the heard someone opened the door. Jessica’s heart is beating fast. Her heart skipped a beat when she heard Sooyoung’s voice.

“I’m home!” Sooyoung said from the doorway. She made her way to the living room. “Hara is sleeping over tonight.” Sooyoung announced just as she saw her housemates and another figure. The woman who has been haunting her dreams for the past months. The woman who made her cry. The woman who left her. It’s Jessica.

“Jessica…” Sooyoung’s eyes are fixed on Jessica.

Meanwhile, Jessica is staring at Sooyoung’s hands holding another girl’s hand. The other girl looks beautiful, stunning even. So this is Hara, she thought. Her heart aches as she sees someone else beside her girl. Hara just stared at her.

“I have to go now.” Jessica didn’t want to talk to Sooyoung now. Not now when her heart is breaking.

“But…” Sunny stood up. Sooyoung just stayed quiet.

“I’ll just call you again, Sunny.” Jessica hurriedly left. When she closed the door, let her tears fall.

 

Back at the apartment…

“When did she come back?” Sooyoung asked with a blank face.

“Today. She wanted to talk to you. She wants you back, Sooyoung.” Sunny said. Hara just kept quiet.

“I don’t care. She’s nothing to me, now.” Sooyoung said.

“You need to convince yourself first, Sooyoung.” Hyomin said.

“If she wanted to talk to me, why did she leave?” Sooyoung is also aching right now. The pain has come back now that she saw Jessica again.

“Because she saw you holding hands with Hara.” Hyomin said.

“She probably thinks that she’s your girlfriend. Wait, is she? Are you her girlfriend, Hara?”

Hara shook her head. “No.”

 

*

 

Sooyoung couldn’t sleep that night. Hara decided to come home after getting the hint that Sooyoung is not in the mood tonight for a movie marathon. She kept thinking about Jessica. No matter how much she denies it to herself, she wouldn’t want anything more but to hug and kiss Jessica again. But the pain is still too much.

She thought about what Sunny and Hyomin said that Jessica got hurt when she saw her holding hands with Hara. She drew her phone out and texted Jessica’s number.

To: Jessica

Let’s meet up tomorrow at lunch.

 

**

 

The next day, they met up at lunch. Both were being quiet. They just greeted each other. Other than that, no word has escaped their mouth ever since they’ve arrived at the restaurant, except when they ordered their food. They ate in silence.

“You wanted to talk?” Sooyoung opened the conversation.

“Huh?” Jessica was surprised to hear Sooyoung’s voice. Damn, she missed it so much.

“If you won’t talk, I will. Hara…she’s not…”

“You don’t need to explain yourself, Sooyoung.”

“I know I don’t. But I just don’t want you to think that I’ve gotten over you that fast. Until now, I’m still in pain. Slowly, I’m trying to put my life back together.”

This stabbed Jessica’s heart. When Sooyoung texted her last night, she didn’t know why she wanted to see her. Now, she knows why. She just wanted to hurt her.

“I’m sorry. Believe me when I say that I want to take all the pain you felt and still feeling. But Sooyoung, I was also hurt. You didn’t fight for me.”

Sooyoung kept quiet.

“What do you want, Sooyoung?” Jessica asked. It hurts being with Sooyoung but not be able to touch her, hug her, kiss her.

“Can we be friends?”

“Friends?” Jessica repeated. “You are more that, Sooyoung. You are more than everything.”

“Jessica, I’m trying to be as nice as I can here. That’s all I can give you. Do you want to be my friend or not?”

“Okay, friends.” Jessica offered her hand to close the deal. The truth is she just wanted to touch Sooyoung’s hand. The touch lingered longer as necessary but Sooyoung pulled her hand back.

Jessica is fine with being friends now. She just wants to gain Sooyoung’s trust again.

 

 



 

 

They meet again. :)

How was it?