HJ 06

Catching Chimeras

 

 

I woke up in the middle of the night because of an uncomfortable feeling. I opened my eyes and immediately understood what was going on. The other person lying in the bed was groaning and tossing around like crazy. At first I thought it was just a nightmare but when I straightened my arms to wake him up, I realised that his body was very hot. Heechul had a high fever.

I felt immediately extremely guilty because it was surely my fault. He found me in the evening sitting on the roof and when I refused to come down, he climbed up to me. But opposite to him, I got onto the roof with the purpose to pass there some time so I had thick and most importantly water-proof clothes. Heechul got pretty drenched and with the cold wind it was no surprise he caught a cold. I sighed, I had to do something.

I climbed out of the bed as quietly as possible. Heechul made me sleep in his room to keep an eye on me but now that he was sick, it didn´t really work. But I had no intention to run away, I just went to the bathroom and wetted a small towel. I returned back to the room and found the older man sleeping on the bed in a way that no space for me was left. Both blankets and my pillow were kicked down on the ground so the tired capturer wouldn´t feel so hot. I sighed and put the wet towel on his forehead. Heechul stirred in his sleep but didn´t have enough energy to wake up.

Honestly I was scared to bring the man out of his dreamland. If it was my father, I would wake him up and make him eat painkillers or drink water. Suddenly I got a good idea when thinking about my late father. There was this thing I would do for him, when he had a fever or was simply feeling hot. I could give it a go.

I sat on the small space that was still left on the wide bed. Once again I assured myself that Kim Heechul was asleep and then turned my back to him. I took off my pyjama top and revealed a pair of transparent wings. I began slowly waving them and tried to adjust them to the best angle. When I made sure the wind was blowing towards the sick man, I started fanning him carefully. I didn´t want to make him cold, I only needed to lessen the fever.

“You know,” I whispered, “I didn´t want to jump or escape today.”

I spoke to Heechul although I knew he was asleep. I was used to talk a lot or at least to be around the people for most of the day, but here I was locked all alone with a pair of cats and their ignorant master. I missed human contact and the quietness made me only remember things I was trying really hard to forget at the moment. It was too early to think of the pain, I had to find a place in the world for myself first.

“It just felt really stuffy and quiet inside the house,” I continued talking while fanning Heechul with my wings, “you even locked the doors and windows and it made me feel kinda claustrophobic. I sat on the roof because it was loud there and I could think of better stuff than just what had happened that night.” I was very honest when I knew, he couldn´t hear me. “I´m sorry you caught a cold because of me. I felt hurt that you wouldn´t talk to me and so I decided to ignore you too. I didn´t expect you to climb on the roof after me. It´s bad we can´t communicate,” I sighed.

“If you were a cat and not a fly, it would be much easier,” an amused groan echoed through the room. I snapped my head only to find the previously dead man awake.

“I´m not a fly!” Not knowing what better to say I acted offended.

“Yeah, whatever,” Heechul chuckled but immediately started coughing. On instinct I stood up and rushed to the kitchen where I filled a huge glass with water. I brought it to the sick man who gladly took it and gulped half of it on the spot. Then he returned the glass to me and I put it on the nightstand.

“Strange,” Heechul mumbled and my attention was back at him. “You are so strange,” he added louder for me to hear or maybe to make me react somehow. I rolled my eyes.

“I´m not strange, only well-mannered,” I nodded my head, “if you were talking about this I mean,” I gestured to the water and wet towel.

“Sure,” Heechul only smiled but I didn´t know, if it was a confirmation or mockery from his side. I decided to let it go or we might fall into a brawl again.

“Since you are awake, where do you store the painkillers? And I´m going to make you a cup of tea so try not to fall asleep meanwhile,” I picked up my shirt and dressed myself. I wasn´t really comfortable bare in front of him like that. I could feel him stare at my wings all the time and I had no idea, what he was thinking. Better be careful than sorry later.

“In the bathroom, next to the bandages,” Heechul explained. I knew the place right away because I managed to get treated already twice here. Once for scratching my knees and later for fixing one of them. Which reminds me that it still hurts pretty badly. Maybe I should take one pill too to make it subside.

I left the room ignoring Heechul´s amused face. Why is he laughing at me? This is no laughing matter, I´m just trying to help him with his sickness. It´s normal, isn´t it? Do I look funny or does he just like making me feel uncomfortable? I don´t know and I don´t care. I´m too tired already, it must be around three or four in the morning.

I started boiling water and prepared the cup. Meanwhile I limped to the bathroom and took out the bottle with painkillers. Returning back to the kitchen, I gulped one pill and washed it down with water from the tap. I poured the hot water into the biggest mug I could find and together with the tablets I brought it to the bedroom. Luckily Heechul was still awake, unluckily with that stupid grin on his handsome face. I sighed and made him eat two pills and sip from the hot tea.

“Good,” Heechul whispered and lay back down. He closed his eyes in contentment and his puckered lips.

“I´m going to sleep in the guest room, okay? Call me, if you neede something,” I announced and expected him to force me to sleep here on the ground because he wouldn’t let me wander around unguarded. But surprisingly Heechul only hummed so I shrugged and left.

Arriving to the guest room I immediately flopped myself on the bed and covered with the thick duvet. I felt so tired that I fell asleep in seconds. I slept really hard until I was woken up in the morning by a booming voice. I snapped my eyes open and tried to distinguish the words in my sleepy state.

“Hey, Fairy, where are you? Come here!” Heechul roared.

I got startled that stuff might have happened during the night and his sickness was getting worse. He could have been in pain or not able to stand up. Panicking I climbed hastily out of the warm bed and out on the cold hallway. At first I wanted to run to the bedroom but I stopped mid-way when I heard a noise coming from the living room. I changed my destination and limped there only to find Heechul sitting with his cat on the couch and watching the TV.

“Oh, here you are! Look, Fairy, this guy on the TV looks just like you!” He gestured to a skinny dancer in a boy group. I blinked once, twice and then I finally snapped.

“What?! You woke me up just to tell me that?! I got scared something happened to you and you are happily watching a music show! And that guy looks nothing like me!” I scolded him in one breath and then turned around offended. “And don´t call me ´Fairy´, it sounds so girly.”

For a moment it was quiet while Heechul was trying to process all the information sprouted. Seconds later he burst out laughing, sore throat apparent in his laugh. Of course he began coughing afterwards. Suits you well, bastard.

How dare he insult me so early in the morning! I thought we would start on a better note today after what had happened yesterday. Looking at the time, I could still sleep, it´s not that late yet. But he had to wake me up only to make me all panicked. What if I hurt my knee even more, huh? And what? I look like that ugly monkey on the TV? It´s not my first time to be compared to this guy so I know who he is, I had to look it up already in my first year. I might not know how to dance like that but I´m definitely more handsome than this Eunhyuk guy. But still, I would rather be the monkey than a fairy. It´s not that creative of a name anyway, anyone could think of that when seeing my wings. Don´t tell me it was the reason Heechul was so amused tonight. He must have come up with the nickname that time! Ugh, so annoying and embarrassing too.

“Okay, okay,” Heechul was wiping his tears that fell down due to his sick state and previous fit of laugh, followed by the one of coughing.

“So one more time, good morning, Hyukjae.” Eh?!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! So here we go! Thank you for reading and enjoy the story! : - Panda Hero