HC 39

Catching Chimeras

 

 

How things ended up like that? I have absolutely no idea honestly. At one second everything was going well, if you take out the part that Hyukjae got hurt, and the next second it was a total mess. I´m not sure where all that anger came from but I simply couldn´t hold back. I don´t have any excuse for my behaviour nor I want to excuse myself. I´m the Great Kim Heechul, I don´t need to give out any reasons.

“Hyung, where do I put these?” Hyukjae gestured to a bag with shampoos and creams.

“Choose a shelf in the bathroom and put it there,” I answered half-heartedly. There was nothing else I could do at this point but go with the flow naturally.

“The yellow toothbrush is mine, don´t use it!” Hyukjae called from the bathroom.

You might have it all figured out already. Yes, Lee Hyukjae is from now on officially my housemate. Unexpected? Definitely. At least for me. It´s not like I wouldn´t want Hyukjae to live more comfortably but I felt that living with me could be a timed bomb. I´ve never actually lived with anybody for a long time and I´m not used to share. I like to have my peace and although Hyukjae is a good boy, I don´t know for how long I will be able to tolerate him.

Hyukjae was back to the guest room after three long years and his yellow toothbrush was in my bathroom. Nothing of that would have happened, if that stupid Minho didn´t say so much nonsense. I didn´t like the way he treated Hyukjae from the very start. He acted all high and mighty and tried to show who´s the boss here. Hyukjae just finally got back to the society and he didn´t need an arrogant jerk like that in his life. Okay, I´m maybe exaggerating a little but that doesn´t change the fact that Minho wasn´t being fair. Even living together, what a joke. He only wanted to boss the newbie around at home too, I sm sure, Hyukjae would have never had his calm like that. I had no choice but to save him. And I might have caused a small scene too. Sigh.

“Done,” Hyukjae said cheerfuly once he appeared in the living room.

“Unpacking? Already?” I raised my eyebrow. That was damn fast.

“Yeah,” Hyukjae hummed and planted himself on his rediscovered red pillow on the floor. “I didn´t have much stuff in the first place because I couldn´t take it all to the police dorms. And what stayed in the institute is lost,” he shrugged and wiggled a little on the pillow so he would be close enough to the coffee table.

“But I don´t mind,” he laid his arms on the coffee table and put his head on them, “the first time I came here I had only the dirty clothes I was wearing.” Hyukjae chuckled and closed his eyes in reminiscence. “I can´t believe I´m finally back,” he sighed.

“What do you mean?” I asked curiously. It was strange how impossibly comfortable Hyukjae seemed in this house and I started thinking that it might have been his plan from the beginning to come back here. Why, though?

“Nothing,” Hyukjae shook his head and opened his eyes slowly to look at me, “Thanks,” he added quietly.

“You´re welcome,” I answered because I couldn´t think of anything better. Although Hyukjae was very open with me compared to the others, he was still a walking mystery. He wouldn´t reveal his thoughts easily and I knew that pushing him wouldn´t lead to anything. He would tell me what´s on his mind when the time comes. I was sure of that and the TV instead.

“Will you be alright tomorrow?” Hyukjae asked after a while. He was still sprawled on the table but his head on his arms was turned away from me in the direction of the TV.

“I wonder,” I laughed and Hyukjae joined.

“You totally blew up,” he said and chuckled some more.

I couldn´t retort because he was right. It was when Zhoumi was taking care of Hyukjae´s light injury and the boy had to take off his clothes. At first I got terrified that Hyukjae´s wings would get revealed but as expected, the guy had another trick upon his sleeve. But just as I was to relax again, that brat Minho said something weird. About Hyukjae´s body being good exactly. Of course my first reaction was to scan the poor Fairy and to my surprise the hints of muscles the boy had three years ago were gone and instead of them some real deal was present. Although Hyukjae was still way too thin, his body was really nice. But then I turned to Minho and found him smirking at the youngest. Hyukjae was starting to feel uncomfortable and I realised that he was being bullied once again by his just slightly older senior. This had to stop.

“I was pissed,” I agreed and shook my head in disbelief.

“I don´t think he meant anything bad but you looked really cool when you told him off,” Hyukjae mumbled against his arm and I felt way too flattered by his simple praise.

“Minho is very competitive and you definitely are worth his attention. I had to stop it before it escalates. You might surpass him very soon even with the seniority and age difference, he might end up as a maknae once again.” I cooled down my ego and explained Hyukjae my logic which was according to my experience pretty much trustworthy.

“I think you are exaggerating, I messed up today. Didn´t do a single thing and got even injured,” Hyukjae sighed and buried his head into his arms.

“I don´t know what you are talking about,” I smiled, “you did an awesome job for a newbie. You came like a strong punch and I´m sure everyone has a hard time understanding what had really happened. You helped a lot with the case and the wound, well,” I chuckled, “you´ve always had a bad luck for that kind of stuff.”

“True,” Hyukjae laughed,” thanks hyung. And although I´m not such a shining star as you call me, I´m glad I managed to get this far. I got inspired by the best,” he turned around and grinned at me. Me? I inspired him?

We talked for some more time about light topics. About music and movies, about snacks and video games. When we started feeling tired we ate small dinner, took a shower and went to our respective rooms. But as I hit the bed, I suddenly found myself unable to fall asleep. I didn´t feel tired anymore. This was something normal for a detective, not being able to fall asleep well. Either it were the nightmares from the horrifying memories or the need to think over the unsolved cases. After some more minutes of tossing around, I knew it wouldn´t work tonight.

I stood up and put on the robe. I quietly shuffled to the kitchen and took out a bottle of red wine from the fridge. Grabbing a tall glass from the cupboard I went to the living room. But as I switched on the small lamp in the corner I got a fright so great, that I almost dropped everything.

“I´m sorry, I didn´t want to scare you,” Hyukjae apologised. He was lying on his stomach on the sofa and his eyes were looking guilty at me. He was wearing big sweatpants and a black wife-beater that allowed his wings to move freely. The pair of transparent wings kept closing and opening slowly and I thought it was fascinating. I´ve never actually got to look at them closely like this.

“What are you doing here?” I asked and calmly went to put the bottle and glass on the coffee table. I gestured Hyukjae to move so I could sit on the sofa too. He grew up to be tall enough to cover the whole sofa!

“I couldn´t fall asleep so I came here,” Hyukjae said and was about to walk out when I grabbed his pants. The waistband went a little lower and revealed his blue underwear. Hyukjae pulled them quickly up, it was funny.

“Stay, I can´t sleep either,” I told him and filled myself a glass of wine. I leaned comfortable into my seat with the glass in my hand. Hyukjae nodded and curled himself next to me, he was lying on his right side, opposite to the injured shoulder. His feet were slightly hanging over the armrest of the sofa and his head was just about twenty centimetres away from me. Unknowingly I started his hair. Hyukjae sighed pleased.

“Hyung, I might fall asleep like that,” he whispered and closed his eyes. Why did he feel so at ease with me? It was strange, I was said to be very uncomfortable and irritating person to be with. It made me smile, I remembered that we once slept on this sofa like this and it was nice.

“Just sleep, Hyukjae, I will look after you.” Before I fall asleep too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! So the main story restarts here with this little fluff! All the characters are now in the right places, don´t you think? Do you remember what´s left? There´s still the unsolved case of the car that followed Hyukjae and Heechul on their way from Andong. Also there is a mystery of who created the chimeras in the first place. Interested? If yes, then please continue reding this story (that went a little over my head, oops). :D (Advertising: My other ongoing story ´My ball of moonlight´ is reaching the end, three last chapters remain!) Thank you for reading and your sometimes funny, sometimes lovely comments! Have a nice day! - PandaHero