HC 11

Catching Chimeras

 

 

The hot cocoa tasted delicious, just the thing I wanted the most right now. I put the cup back on the table and my chocolate moustache. Then I glanced at the blonde sitting next to me. Hyukjae was still thinking over what I said earlier. I explained that I felt a tugging towards this place out of his five choices. I even went all the way and praised the smartass. But it seemed like Hyukjae had a hard time believing my as he called it ´sixth sense´. Is it possible for someone who was born with wings to be this conservative?

“Why did you come?” Hyukjae asked me looking into his own cup of cocoa.

“What do you mean, I came to look for you of course,” I answered not understanding again. But this time I already knew that I needed to look between the lines. Hyukjae wouldn´t be saying this out of the blue for nothing. He must have come up with some complicated theory in his head again and I had to find the right knot in the long string of thoughts the young man seems to be always s bothered by.

“It was an order,” Hyukjae mumbled for himself but I guessed that was the lead I had to follow.

“Of course, it´s dangerous for you to run around like this,” I opened a topic that could either bring the boy´s mood up or dump it completely. Either way, the information was classified.

“Why?” He frowned and turned to me. Of course he felt the seriousness of the fact too.

“Because there are people that want to hurt you,” I finally said and Hyukjae widened his eyes. “But you need to worry no more, Hyukjae. I´m here to protect you, okay?” And those huge eyes suddenly filled with water. Don´t tell me, he´s gonna cry now! I don´t know how to deal with the crying Fairy! I panicked and Hyukjae must have noticed because he turned quickly away and wiped the tears with his sleeve.

“I-I´m going to ignore the thing about me being targeted for now but you know, I don´t forget,” he said while cleaning his face. Then he sipped from his cocoa and bit his lower lip before continuing: “More importantly, it sounds pretty out of character for you to say stuff like that,” His eyes darted to me but quickly went back to watching the dark liquid in the cup. There was a strange emotion glowing in them but I didn´t have a chance to see it properly. Hyukjae has always been good at hiding his emotions. “But I like to hear it much better than that I´m a good for nothing, you know.”

“Sorry,” I didn´t hesitate to say this time. I had to apologise, definitely. I´m too used to treat chimeras coldly and with a distance. I detach myself from them as much as possible but this time I can´t really proceed that way. Hyukjae isn´t aware of any of this chimera and ASC stuff. And as crazy as it sounds, he might be really a special case. I´m sure I´ve said it many times before but Hyukjae is the most interesting or rather special Chimera I´ve ever met. Treating him any different than human might cause him a trauma and the fact he keeps running away with such desperation and then returns back again is the biggest proof of that. He´s quick-witted and skilled and honestly if he wanted, he could have disappeared completely without us getting a chance in catching him. But he always returns because he: “And sorry for abandoning you, you felt lonely, right?”

“Mmm,” Hyukjae answered honestly, “I missed you, even if you are an old crazy cat lover,” he added.

“Yah! At least I´m not growing myself a moustache at seventeen,” I pointed amusedly to his upper lip.

“What?” Hyukjae blushed a his lips to take down the chocolate from his cocoa. “I better start shaving,” he joked and I couldn´t but laugh.

“I´ll try a little more but don´t expect me to go all friendly and touchy, kay?” I decided to close the heavy topic. Hyukjae nodded his head and after putting his cup on the table, he leaned into the couch.

“You know I let you find me, right?” Hyukjae spoke from his comfy spot on the sofa and I nodded. If he didn´t open the door, I would have never been able to find him. I could feel him but that was all, the house was perfectly cleaned. “I was so happy when I heard your motorbike earlier that I couldn´t stay still anymore. It´s such a pity, I did so well at hiding. I guess I´m not fit to be on the run,” he chuckled. I noticed his eyes were closed and he was barely awake.

“You might be better at catching then,” I said absent-mindedly. What am I ever thinking! Gosh, don´t put ideas into Hyukjae´s head like this or you might end up in some huge troubles.

“Catching what?” Great, now I piqued his interest.

“Flies of course but you wouldn´t do that to your own kind would you?” I joked and even though it was rude, it was much better than getting more into the topic. Catching chimeras is my task not his.

“First Fairy and now Fly? Can´t you be more creative, these are old, you know,” the blonde boy snorted not even bothering to open his eyes. I guess the day was too long even for a genius like him, normally he would pry into the secrets more.

“I can be more creative,” I leaned into the sofa too and looked up on the ceiling but opposite to Hyukjae, my eyes stayed wide open, “but I´m not sure you would be able to appreciate my ideas.”

“Try me,” Hyukjae mumbled trying hard to stay awake.

“Tinker Bell,” I said and shifted a little closer to him.

“Weak and boring, heard that before,” the blonde answered coldly and his head slightly swayed to the side.

“Fishing bait,” I tried again but my attention was more on the tired body next to me than the game we were playing.

“Heh, better,” Hyukjae muttered and smirked. I only closed the distance so our shoulders would be almost on par.

“Butterfree,” I shot and knew we were at the end. Hyukjae´s body was limp as a pudding.

“The hells´ that,” he mumbled through his almost closed lips and his head was now dangerously nearing its fall.

“A Pokémon,” I answered and put my right palm on the tip of his head. I pushed slightly so the blonde mop of hair would comfortable land on my shoulder and then I left my arm around his shoulders.

“You win,” were Hyukjae´s last words before he gave away to the sleepiness. In a few seconds I could already hear him breath regularly. He was sleeping peacefully awith a small smile adoring his lips nd I felt accomplished at that moment.

I took the hold of the bunch of the blankets and put it over us both. Then I snuggled into the warmth and even put my own head at the top of Hyukjae´s. He surely wouldn´t mind, right? He was very happy to see me again, I shouldn´t have abandoned him like that, it wasn´t very nice from me. He smiled a lot today thanks to seeing me again. Wait! He smiled?! Yes, he laughed a little, chuckled and even smirked! Why haven´t I noticed it earlier? I can´t believe it, the boy knows how to smile too. A huge smile crept all over my face. I have to boast about it to Jungsu.

! Jungsu! I haven´t called him. I´m ed…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! Here´s some little fluff for you! Enjoy! Thank you for reading and commenting, I didn´t expect so many upvotes :) - PandaHero