HC 05

Catching Chimeras

 

 

What a nice morning I though even before opening my eyes. It must be finally a sunny day since it feels so comfortably warm. I don´t even want to wake up and go to work honestly. But I have to or else Jungsu will have my head on a silver plate. Sighing I opened my eyes only to receive the biggest shock ever. Now it makes sense why my face felt so warm, and it´s not even sunny outside just the opposite. The warm feeling on my face was caused be something else, more precisely by someone else.

Lee Hyukjae was sleeping next to me and slowly breathing through his nose. At first I wanted to knee-kick him out of my bed but two things stopped me. First it was the fact that it was me who made him sleep here last night as I finally remembered. After his yesterday´s two attempts to run away I had become more wary. I decided that it would be the safest to keep him in my own room at night. I didn´t expect we would meet face to face in the middle of the bed, though. Good he´s asleep or it would be pretty embarrassing and I would probably really end up kicking him hard.

The second and more unbelievable reason why I would like to let the time stop for a bit is Hyukjae´s calm face. Of course the boy for his age looks very handsome and mature; his skin is also much smoother than his peers´. But that´s not what I mean. It´s my first time seeing him looking so peaceful. His face is relaxed and still but most importantly his eyes are closed. Those eyes that are so dangerous during the day. They look either terrified or conversely stubbornly determined, so full of force. I guess I simply like him better sleeping like that.

“Umm, mom,” Hyukjae suddenly mumbled startling me. Is he waking up? Or is it just a dream?

The young man´s face then contorted slightly and his eyes shut tightly. My own forehead wrinkled when I frowned at the sight. Hyukjae´s breathing quickened and all of a sudden his eyes snapped open as if he was a blink doll. It´s been a while since I got startled less like this. Those eyes I feared so much were wide open and looking straight into mine. I couldn´t look away, I was frozen. But something else was mirrored in those huge orbs, something that wasn´t very usual for the strong blonde. It was grief.

“Oh, morning” he exclaimed cutely when he regained his breathing again. He closed his eyes for a moment and when he opened them again, they looked stubborn and confident. That´s the normal Hyukjae.

“Get up, chimera,” I smirked and pushed my palm against his tired face. Hyukjae groaned and I pretended that I didn´t hear that ´ you´ he mumbled between my fingers. It´s raining heavily but the morning still feels nice, how strange.

Thirty minutes later we were both washed up and awake, sitting in the kitchen and eating our breakfast. Hyukjae for the first time asked me for a food, well he wanted a hot cocoa, so I needed to make it for him. But to be honest I was glad because it seemed that his appetite might not be completely lost. Compared to his good character which might never come back anymore, naughty brat.

“Where´s my kitty?” I wondered where the cats were. It was cold and wet outside so they should be at home and begging for food.

“Yesterday it was tapping my window but today when I went to change the clothes it wasn´t there,” Hyukjae tried to add to the topic. I hummed a little bit lost in my cat thoughts. I heard the blonde sigh and stand up. He washed his cup and went to the living room. What´s wrong with him? I was about to follow him when I finally heard a meowing.

“Here you are, my baby,” I cooed at the little fluffy pet. Forget it, I´m gonna play with creatures that like to play with me. Stubborn chimeras don´t count! I decided childishly in my head.

Fifteen minutes later I was ready to go to work. Of course I locked all the doors and windows properly so the brat wouldn´t escape again. But I was almost sure he wouldn´t try anything crazy because his knee was still badly hurt and he wouldn´t be able to get far like that. When I was closing the main door, I saw him standing in the hall and watching me. Is he waiting for something? I didn´t know so I shrugged and closed it quickly, locking it thoroughly too. At that time I didn´t understand anything and I was going to regret it later.

It was five in the afternoon when I returned home. I stepped inside the warm house but it was dark everywhere with no lights on. This was definitely a warning and I immediately knew that something was horribly wrong. Instinctively I looked on the rack and as expected the blonde´s jacket and shoes were gone. I was about to turn around and run outside when I remembered my mistake from yesterday. No, I´m sure he´s in the house still. He´s hidden somewhere and wants me to open the door for him and when I´m gone, he will escape. As if that´s gonna happen!

I locked the main door and began ramming around the house. Strange, where could he be? My house isn´t that big and there´s only one floor too so there aren´t that many possibilities to hide. Hyukjae is small but not that tiny to disappear. I began contemplating whether he didn´t break out of the house afterall when I overheard a strange noise. It came from the bathroom and I quickly ran there. There I noticed something I had overlooked, the roof window was open. It was the only window that couldn´t have been locked but it was because nobody could climb there. Well, Hyukjae apparently could.

I leaned from the window and the never-ending rain hit my upper body. I hardly opened my eyes while the cold wind kept hitting them and spotted a person sitting up on the roof. I couldn´t believe my eyes honestly. Hyukjae was sitting there in his jacket and shoes and was looking somewhere into the rain as if it was the most normal thing to do on Monday afternoon.

“You idiot, come back!” I yelled at him through the strong wind. The latter got startled and snapped his head towards me. But when he woke up from his surprise he only frowned and shook his head.

“Don´t make me force you!” I was in rage again. Why is he so skilled at making me angry, huh?! The blonde wasn´t scared, though, and shook his head one more time.

“Fine! I´m coming!” I warned and began climbing up on the roof too. It was much harder task than I expected but I had to teach the brat his lesson, even if it meant to test my athletic skills.

After a few failed attempts, I brought a small chair into the bathroom and used it as a platform to stand on. Like this I managed to get on the roof which must have surprised the confident teenage because his expression changed again. It was the second one, fearful. I didn´t care and awkwardly began walking in the bad weather towards him. But when I got close enough, Hyukaje finally realised how grave the situation was and made an attempt to run away. Regrettably he didn´t manage because when he stood up, his injured knee gave away under him and the boy crumbled down.

“No!” I cried in stress seeing the thin blonde losing the balance. This was no joke; we were on the roof meters away from the ground. He could easily kill himself if he was unlucky enough. And that was the most terrifying because I knew Hyukjae had no luck.

Alarmed I shook off my fear and hurried to him. Before he could slide down I caught him in my arms. It was a strange moment now that I think of it. We were both sitting on the roof with the strong wind blowing and even stronger rain drenching us. Well only me because Hyukjae had enough sense to dress himself properly before climbing on the roof. Nevertheless I was holding the blonde chimera in my arms tightly, too scared to let go. I felt him shaking so I released my deadly grip a little bit.

“Why do you hate me so much, hyung?” Hyukjae asked all of a sudden.

“Hate? Why do you think I hate you?” I once again didn´t understand what was going inside his head.

“You refuse to speak to me, not even a greeting, it´s uncomfortable,” Hyukjae admitted and suddenly it was all making sense. All those empty moments where he was waiting for something and I didn´t know what. So it was this simple, I´m so stupid. It´s true I often ignored when he spoke or didn´t answer at his inquires and I also skipped the greetings altogether. I can´t believe myself, no surprise he wants to get out of here so much. He doesn´t feel welcomed, sigh.

“I´m sorry, Hyukjae,” I apologised honestly, an action I do really rarely but Hyukjae could feel it with that amazing sense of his. And then he hugged me back with his long, wet and trembling fingers. You really might not be just an ordinary chimera, Hyukjae.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Good afternoon! Here we go! :) Thank you for reading and enjoying the story - PandaHero