HJ 14

Catching Chimeras

 

 

The booming sound of the bike’s engine was strangely calming. As I laid my head on Heechul´s back, I could feel his warmth seeping through the thin jacket. I would easily fall asleep but that wouldn’t be exactly safe since we were currently on the highway and the speed was no joke. Heechul said it would be smarter to not stay next to the burning hut when the authorities come to investigate. Apparently the ASC guys would clean the stuff afterwards because the case is thanks to me classified. I decided not to ask about the matter at the moment but I’ll keep the question for later. So we jumped on Heechul´s bike and tadah, here we are on the run. Well, returning ´home´ as I was told.

Honestly I wasn’t that out of mind yesterday to not notice Heechul´s slip of tongue. He made quite a big one and it would be a pity, if I let it go. There were only rare chances for me to find anything out and I would make sure not to miss any of them. So the situation is that somebody is after me. For what reason? I don´t know but I´m going to find out no matter what. The issue isn´t small or easily forgettable, it’s impossible to let go of a fact that somebody just tried to burn you alive. I can’t believe I’m still alive and breathing. If it happened some hours earlier while we were sleeping or even before when I was still alone in the hut, the consequences would be way more serious.

It didn´t feel good to have a guy on your back that´s trying to kill you. I clenched my fists that were currently on Heechul´s stomach, I was hugging him to not fall down from the fast machine. But that was a wrong move because the older man noticed that something was off. When the next rest place came to the view, he turned to stop there.

On the parking lot Heechul took off his helmet and I loosened my grip to take down mine. Then he climbed down from the bike and put the helmet on the handlebars. His face was wet from sweat and maybe even water that remained on the roads from yesterday. I noticed a little dirt on his right cheek and a leaf in his hair proves of our fire adventure. But opposite to tired, Heechul seemed firm and determined. His eyes were looking at me with a strange glint that wouldn´t look foreign in the eyes of devil. But I didn´t feel scared, more than that I felt assured. The man in front of me was strong, although I was yet to find his powers.

“Let´s take a break,” he announced and I nodded my head. I gave him my helmet to put it next to his and wanted to climb down from the bike too. But although my knee was getting much better, the jump from the bathroom window didn´t do it much good. Instead of standing up, I fell down on the wet concrete like an idiot first.

“Yah! What are you doing, Fairy?” Heechul rolled his eyes annoyed.

“Um, dancing?” I answered to annoy the elder even more. Can´t he see it wasn´t my fault?

“Funny,” Heechul snorted and opposite to his snarky remark, his behaviour was much gentler. He put his arm around my waist and helped me stand up. He supported the side with the injured knee and helped me walk. Like that we entered the rest station and immediately went to the toilets.

“Hey, not like that,” I protested when Heechul pulled me up to sit on the changing table for babies.

“We need to fix your knee so stop whining and take off your pants,” he ordered but I could tell he was also amused. I groaned and took down my jeans, quickly covering as much as I could with my sweater. Gosh, now it really looks like we are changing diapers.

“The bandage is all dirty, I´ll go buy a new one into the convenience store. Wait here,” Heechul stood up and threw the used bandage to the trash bin.

“You are joking! You can´t leave me here half on the changing table, hey wait you bastard!” Of course my laments fell into the deaf ears. I´m sure he did that on purpose.

I took off my jacket and laid it on my thighs so I wouldn´t be sitting there in the toilets like that. Fortunately it wasn´t very crowded at this time and place so I didn´t have to deal with strange stares. But after a while of waiting, somebody entered the rest room. But of course it wasn´t the person I was waiting for, it was an unfamiliar face. The man didn´t enter the men toilets but instead stopped in front of me.

“You alright?” He asked me with a raspy voice.

I got of course startled because I didn´t expect him to start talking to me. His face was handsome but his features were very manly. So was his bulky body that surely wasn´t consisted only of fat but some strong muscles too. You could tell just by looking at him that he was a truck driver.

“Y-Yeah,” I awkwardly answered because I felt slightly intimidated by him. I wasn´t in condition to run either so all I could do was to bite my lip and pray for Heechul to come quickly.

But either I had a little luck or my prayers were heard because after my totally not convincing answer, the man nodded and walked away. I exhaled loudly but jerked again when the door opened once again. But this time it was finally Heechul who arrived with a plastic bag with snacks and clean bandage in his hand.

“Where have you been? I thought I would die here out of embarrassment,” I scolded.

“Stop whining, I couldn´t choose which cookies to buy,” the cat lover said and put the bag on my lap. Then he bent down and began tying my knee with the clear white bandage carefully.

“Somebody even came and asked me, if I were alright,” I continued with my runt. Heechul suddenly stopped in the middle of tying and looked me into face.

“Who?” He asked me seriously and it made me feel sick again. Suddenly everyone seemed to be after me. I knew I was overreacting but the situation I was at was more than intriguing.

“I-I don´t know. A truck driver it was, I guess,” I answered honestly. Suddenly Heechul began laughing like crazy. Has he gone insane? I asked him, if he felt okay but he only continued laughing like a madman.

„What the hell?“  All of a sudden the truck driver came out of the men toilets. He was frowned at my hysterical companion and called again: “Kim Heechul, get a grip!” What? He knows his name? Who is this guy? I was looking quizzically at both men but neither of them was doing anything to solve the riddle for me.

“Wanna hear it Yongwoon?” Heechul wiped the tears that came out with his laughing and turned to the bulky man. “I asked this kid who spoke to him and he said it was a truck driver!” He began laughing again and I blushed. Looks like I offended this person but I didn´t know.

“You did?” The not really truck driver turned to me. Oh my god!

“I´m sorry, Sir,” I quickly apologized while bowing my head as much as I could in my position, “I didn´t mean to offend you, I didn´t know you two knew each other and Heechul hyung likes to put me into awkward situations.” I said in the most polite way because it would work the best. And yes, I was aiming for a little revenge on Heechul too.

“It´s alright, you had a tough day,” the man suddenly smiled, “call me Kangin, Hyukjae. I´m not a truck driver, I work for the police in the same department as Kim Heechul and Leeteuk. Don´t be afraid to speak to me, if you need something. I came to you back.” Oh, so that means we planned to stop here to meet up with this Kangin guy. Well, he doesn´t seem like a bad person and I guess those muscles aren´t for show either if he came here to us.

“And you are right, this guy likes to joke around too much,” Kangin said loudly and smacked Heechul´s back in a friendly way. But he purposely used more force so the thin man ended up kneeling on the ground. Heechul immediately started swearing so I used this chance and secretly chuckled at my successful revenge. Yep, this Kangin guy seems to be a pretty fair person.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! Finally I had a little time to update (well, I should be doing something different but my brain is seriously at least cooked by now T_T). The next chapter will be from Heechul´s POV (don´t expect it too soon, tho) so you´ll be able to find out a little more about Kangin and the whole secret police departement (waah, spoiler!). Thank you everyone and have a nice Advent - PandaHero