HJ 18

Catching Chimeras

 

 

It was already Saturday morning and I was sitting on the window pane of the living room. Although it warm inside, I was wearing a thick knitted sweater. It´s because it was a gift from my mother and today I felt nostalgic. I refused to remember the accident and all the sad stuff, instead I was thinking of all the memories and feelings. I missed her, I missed them both. So I watched the cold fog on the street and random passer byes hidden in their scarves and long coats.

“Thinking of another escape?” Heechul came to me with a cup of cocoa. I just shook my head and took the cup.

No, I wasn´t planning to run anytime soon. I didn´t have the guts anymore to tell the truth. The flames and then the shooting, I was scared. I´m not a cop like Kangin or Heechul, I´m afraid of those people, who are trying to kill me. I´m terrified to the point I´m not sure, if I´ll ever be able to live peacefully. And one more reason I had to stay put. I felt good here with that stupid cat lover and his bunch of cats, I still wasn´t able to count them. I suspect all the neighbourhood cats have this house as their meeting place. And I´m like those strays on the garden, I sit on the window pane and pretend to belong here.

“Hey, I´m here. Stop looking out of that damned window,” Heechul grumbled and I turned around to see him sulking. Isn´t he a bit too old to seek attention from me like that? “And put down the sweater, it´s warm. Or should I add to the heating?”

“No, it´s fine, I just wanted to wear the sweater,” I explained but the grumpy elder didn´t like my answer.

“But if anyone else or, oh my god, Jungsu see you wearing thick clothes in my house, they´ll think I´m freezing you to death here. I don´t need to get reported again, you know.” Heechul stressed.

“Hyung, you are overreacting,” I rolled my eyes at him and sipped from the drink.

“Okay, let´s go out! That way you can have your stupid sweater and no one will care,” Heechul suddenly exclaimed as if hechad gotten the best idea ever.

“Out?!” My eyes widened and I felt rush of blood in my brain. Has he gone completely mad or something? There´s a killer somewhere around and he wants to take me out? I can´t believe his carelessness, or is it stupidity? I rather not ask the hot-blooded detective this but I´ll make sure he remembers in what kind of situation we are currently.

“It´s dangerous, don´t you think?” I said ironically.

“No, I don´t think. Why worry when you have me!” He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

“This is no laughing matter, Heechul hyung,” I frowned and put my cup on the pane to be ready for the argument.

“I´m hearing this sentence quite often these days. I´m not joking, you are underestimating me,” Heechul crossed his arms on his chest. “Why can´t you trust me, Hyukjae?”

“Zhoumi and Kangin are big,” I gestured. Good, I put down the cocoa. “But you aren´t even very athletic, hyung.”

“I should feel offended now but unfortunately you are right,” Heechul chuckled. “Still you should know, that I´m the best detective in the ASC and when I come to work, all the hoobaes bow to me!”

“That´s really nice but I´d rather stay here and if Leeteuk comes, I´ll take my sweater off, okay?” I tried to save the situation but to no avail. Heechul was already so excited by the idea of taking me out that he completely ignored my argument.

He pulled on my sleeve and shoved me into the main hall where he threw the jacket and scarf on me. I continued arguing with him but it was useless since the latter turned a deaf ear towards my words. He dressed himself and started forcing me into my shoes. I tried to protest but once again I got ignored. In the end I gave up let him tie my shoelaces for me.

“Great, where´s my wallet?” The excited cat lover looked around and scratched his head. “Oh, alright!” He jogged in his shoes to the kitchen, I wonder who´s gonna clean after him, and brought his wallet, phone and keys. “Now we are ready,” he exclaimed and pushed me outside.

When standing there in the foggy street, I felt suddenly too vulnerable. I kept glancing around nervously, expecting a bulky man in long coat with a gun or a knife in his hand. Or maybe a black limousine with a snipper inside, ready to implant a bullet in the middle of my forehead. Unknowingly I buried myself deep into my scarf and made a little step back. I wasn´t ready for this, definitely not. I wanted to go back inside! That crazy detective is so insensitive, it´s not normal for a crime victim to just open the door and go shopping right after the incident.

“I´m going to hold it since your knee is still bad and I don´t want you to fall down,” Heechul announced and first I had no idea what he was talking about but when his hand clasped mine tightly, I understood. And strangely it helped a lot. Not with the knee but with that scrutinising feeling of being an easy target for anyone. I felt slightly protected but I wouldn´t say it aloud of course, instead I just squeezed his hand holding so warmly mine.

Unexpectedly Heechul smiled at me and I quickly hid into my scarf. Why the hell would I blush in a situation like that? Fortunately the detective decided not to tease me this time and began walking, with me in tow of course. We strolled through the street and then turned left towards the centre of this city part. I didn´t know where we were going and according to the map, the Seoul suburb where Heechul´s house was located, didn´t look like an interesting place. No shopping mall, no big parks, no amusement centres. Only a few shops, family restaurants and an old cinema. I hoped it wouldn´t be the cinema, I always fall asleep in the cinema even if I like the movie.

“Almost there,” Heechul´s voice came out a little strange because his nose was runny due to the cold weather. He pointed to a door between the convenience store and café. At first I couldn´t make out, what in the world there was written in those, let´s say fancy, words. But when we came closer my jaw dropped.

“PC Bang?” I asked in awe.

“Yep! It´s about time you discovered the world of games,” he laughed aloud and pushed the door open.

“I hope they have Pokémon,” I told him with a smirk.

“True, true,” he nodded his head and waved at the PC Bang´s owner, well, it´s only my guess but the place was apart from him completely empty so it should b obvious. “You should meet with your virtual counterpart already, Heechul added. It would be funny, if he didn´t use his serious voice. Don´t tell me the cat lover is a gamer on top of it all?! How do I survive with him?

I wanted to fake a cry but then I suddenly remembered an important stuff. Something that Leeteuk said during his last visit. I ignored this information for a long time but it had to appear at this moment. Moment, where I was supposed to be having fun. But there was no escape from the reality, just like always. And somehow the stuff didn´t sound like a good news anymore, although I had felt so happy when hearing this before. There would be a free room in some kind of an institute for me and I would move there immediately.

It´s supposed to be on Monday, the day after tomorrow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! I´m sorry for the late update but except for my ride on the train, I don´t really have any time to write. What a pity. But from the next week, it´s the Christmas holiday so it might get better :) I didn´t check this one for mistakes, sorry T_T and thank you! - PandaHero