HC 21

Catching Chimeras

 

 

The house was exceptionally quiet. The cats rarely make noise and the TV was switched off. The only sound in the house was the one ringing in my head. It were Hyukjae´s last words before the door closed behind him. A few hours passed since then and I was still at loss at what to think or feel.

I was sprawled on the sofa and didn´t dare to make any noise. The sky was slowly darkening although it was still early. Storm was coming. I hissed and laid myself on the side. My eyes landed on the red cushion that Hyukjae used to sit on so often. My thoughts naturally went toward the blond teenager and at that moment I knew he would sit in my head for longer time than expected. Lee Hyukjae stayed with me, if you don´t count his occasional escapes, for only a week. Now that I think of it, it was such a short interval to get so attached. But Hyukjae, although a chimera, was strange. He was different in almost everything and it made me unable to forget about him. Honestly I couldn´t erase him from my mind yet, even if I wanted. The investigation was still running and I knew I would get involved.

Feeling really anxious and depressed after my failure with Hyukjae, I decided to help at least with the case. I dashed for my laptop and turned it on. While the device was loading, I went to the kitchen to prepare myself something to eat. One gets hungry after self-loathing for hours. I opened the fridge but that caused me almost to lose my appetite again. A certain pink box of milk was standing on the second shelf and it took me all my self-restraint not to throw it to the trash bin. I should leave it, in case Hyukjae visits. Yeah, you can dream Kim Heechul.

“Let´s see,” I said aloud.

I finished making some snack and was back to sitting in the living room with the laptop in front of me. I logged into the police database and opened the file containing Lee Hyukjae´s case. I´ve already read the part about his family and the incident that occurred a week ago. But there was a lot more additional info under that I haven´t read yet.

“As I thought,” I mumbled for myself, “something feels strange.”

Really, the intel was quite chaotic and I didn´t even know where to start. Especially the arsonist with the silver car was pretty confusing. Why didn´t he act while we were at the rest station? Why did he wait? And how did he even know, where Hyukjae was? We ourselves could only guess after all. Also the motif of his attack was still unknown, less his identity and whereabouts. I wanted to ask Hyukjae about his opinion on this exact matter but I chose the wrong moment. I sighed remembering it.

“I´m so tactless.”

That night in Hyukjae´s house must have been the worst nightmare. Their uncle visited the Lees and as many times before, they got into a fight. The uncle felt like Hyukjae was a monster and should have been disposed of long time ago. Hyukjae´s parents of course had a different opinion on this matter. They usually fought a lot but when it came to protecting the blonde boy, they were as one. But this time was also alcohol involved and the uncle lost it. He put down the hunting gun that Hyukjae´s father often brought to the summer hut in the hunting season. The first shot was already deadly as Hyukjae´s mother jumped in front of the frightened blonde. After that Mr. Lee ordered loudly for Hyukjae to run as he rushed to stop his mad brother. Since it was Hyukjae who gave the testimony, we don´t know what happened exactly after the boy ran upstairs to his room. But we can guess that Mr. Lee´s fate was the same as his wife´s. Hyukjae in the meantime climbed up on the roof through the window from where he called the police. He didn´t know that the neighbours after hearing the shooting already made the call. It was when the police cars stopped in front of Hyukjae´s house that the last shot was heard. The uncle killed himself.

So many emotions went through me when reading Hyukjae´s testimony. He clearly explained everything to the police in one go and even his cold and logical behaviour in the grave situation he was in makes one speechless. It would make you think that Hyukjae was heartless but I knew from the week we spent together that it wasn´t like that. Hyukjae only knew how to conceal his feelings when needed and how to act reasonably in stressful situations.

“Okay! Let´s help out our Fairy, shall we?” I told my favourite grey cat enthusiastically.

And that´s also what I began doing. My colleagues were very surprised to see me sitting in the office until late night hours. I was going through every single person that came to the contact with Hyukjae and also tried to check the way he got his wings. How is that possible? No human was conceived as chimera, they e in their mother’s womb due to external influences. But that´s not something I´m allowed to talk about honestly. It´s a classified information so I can´t tell you.

I can confidently say that thanks to my hard work, a lot of new leads were found and so the investigation progressed. But after a while and many dead ends, it stopped completely. We were stuck and didn´t know where to continue. I was sure we missed something important, something that would help us make a big step. But what was it?

But the luck was on my side and the answer to my question knocked on my door one night in winter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A-cha! :D Finally there will be some new information about Heechul, Hyukjae, ASC, chimeras and everything else! At least four chapters of investigation! Are you ready? I´m being overly dramatic over here, sorry for that. I just took a second breath when it comes to this fic. It´s more action than my other stories so that´s why maybe. Thank you for still reading and commenting! - PandaHero