HC 47

Catching Chimeras

 

 

Where did I make a mistake? I thought the plan was perfect, how could I have forgotten Jihyo´s ability to exceed the capabilities of her gender and age? Those were my thoughts as I went through the happenings from the last minutes.

Donghee slowed down the car so we would lose the sight of the sedan in front of us. I in the meantime started with some simple questions on the person sitting right next to the driver. When I got no answer I pointed my gun to Jihyo´s head. I had a reason for sitting in the back and that was to get her into the corner. But Jihyo was ahead of us, I realised that as my hand suddenly twisted and I felt a bullet pierce the carbon in my vest. I got a little shock accompanied by painful cramps. I dropped the gun and Jihyo immediately used it on my dear friend Donghee. I didn´t really know what was happening until I saw the chubby police man being kicked out of the  car. Jihyo sat on his seat and first I thought I would have a chance to get her as she was busy with driving but soon I found it impossible. The strong woman only drove for about four hundred meters before she crushed the car against the pillar of the bridge. I hit my head against the window and with that all my chances to escape were lost.

“You can leave the bullet-proof vest on. I will shoot you into your head and the heavy jacket will help you soak just fine,” Jihyo screamed to overpower the beating of the rain. I was now under the bridge, yet I was already half wet and standing in the stream.

I raised my head to tell her something nasty but at that same moment regretted another mistake I did. In the panic during the short drive I hit the call button for S.O.S. on my phone. I completely forgot about it, until I took note of the gentle creature standing in the rain above the wreck of the police car and my personal executor. Hyukjae came, he came alone. Stupid Fairy.

“And after that?” I asked to keep her attention on me and not on the barehanded man behind her on the slope.

“My role here is done, I´ve already sent in the report about Lee Hyukjae. All I need to do is to get rid of you and go back into hiding. Nobody would find me and somebody else would take care of the little chimera instead of me,” Jihyo answered honestly. She didn´t feel threatened, she probably didn´t count with the possibility that it wasn´t me, who busted her, Hyukjae was the one to uncover her. She might have known that Eunhyuk was Hyukjae but she didn´t understand the skills of the young man. Hell, he was right behind her! Yet I begged him inwardly to disappear silently. He stood no chance against Jihyo.

I looked back up to Hyukjae but when I did, he was gone! Although the best possibility for him would be to run, I knew for sure that wasn´t the case. Hyukjae wouldn´t have left me here to die for sure. Hyukjae was different, Hyukjae was special. My stare warned Jihyo that something was off but when she turned around, she also didn´t find anything strange. At the same time she turned away from me, I properly searched for my Fairy. I found him in the car! Shocked I began climbing out of the water but it wasn´t easy as the stream and water pressure were slowing my feet down.

“Where are you going?!” Song Jihyo´s attention was back on me and she was about to pull the trigger. Of course this was the moment Hyukjae was waiting for. He kicked the driver´s door open with both his legs and presented the lady very hard hit to her side. Jihyo unceremoniously slumped to the ground but regained herself quickly and from the sitting position on the ground aimed at Hyukjae.

“NO!”

Hyukjae screamed in fear because he was completely vulnerable sitting in cold wet clothes on the bloody driver´s seat with professional killer´s gun pointed at him. And it wasn´t the first time a gun was faced his way. But he did not need to fear anymore. I had enough time to make a run for the dangerous woman on the ground and soon she found herself in the very same position as me a few seconds back. I grabbed her from behind and skilfully knocked her down with my bare hands. No more than three seconds were needed for me to send her sleeping and secure back my own gun.

“Hyukjae, give me one more minute, will you?” I spoke to the thin man hastily to make him realise he was going to be okay. Then I searched for the handcuffs and locked the unconscious spy to the backdoor handle. I couldn´t risk her waking up and making more mess before the help arrives. Speaking about help, I activated my S.O.S. signal once more and this time to number two on my dial list – Park Jungsu. I should have done that from the very start and not making my defenceless number one risk his life against the professional agent. This action had almost completely fatal consequences.

“Hyung!” Desperate cry I couldn´t ignore anymore made me push back all the guilty thoughts I had about my failure. It wasn´t finished for Hyukjae yet, he was still battling with himself.

“I´m coming,” I said gently, too gently considering the situation and the heavy rain all around us mixing with the sounds of the traffic above.

Hyukjae was still in the same awkward position on the bloodied seat. I slowly climbed into the crashed car too and pulled him closer. He was frozen and wet and his breathing was ragged. It could have been just cold or maybe fear, I didn´t know. All I knew was that I messed up and Hyukjae wasn´t supposed to have a gun aimed at him.

“I´m sorry,” I whispered as I slowly embraced him. Very slowly and carefully, as if he was made from glass. I feared to hear it shatter, more than I feared it usually. Luckily the thin man didn´t hesitate and his long fingers were soon knitted into my dirty shirt. His breathing slowed down eventually and ten minutes later, Hyukjae was only a ball of motionless limbs in my arms.

“Don´t let go, even if they force you,” he whispered into my shoulder. I barely heard him with the even louder noise around. Police sirens, loud voices giving out orders, rattling of the handcuffs against the backdoor, rain, river, heavy traffic, yet my ears were tricked to listen only to Hyukjae´s voice.

“Not until we are at home,” I ensured him and ran my hand over his wet back.

“Heechul-ah! Hyuk!” Jungsu appeared in the broken door with worried expression and black raincoat on.

“We are fine,” I said and began climbing out of the car. I struggled a little because Hyukjae refused to move so I had to carry him out in my arms. He wasn´t that heavy but I wasn´t very strong either. Fortunately Jungsu understood the situation, the guy had pretty good social understanding, and gave me a hand.

“Are you sure he isn´t injured?” He asked me.

“No, I checked thoroughly, he just had it hard on him,” I answered seriously.

As we climbed the slope and up on the road, the riverside was already flooded with agents and police cars. In the far back I heard Song Jihyo´s voice as she was being arrested. I also met Zhoumi who informed me about Donghee´s departure to the hospital. Minho went to accompany him and would take care of the report. I instructed Zhoumi to stay on duty tonight because I had to take Eunhyuk home.

“Is Hyuk injured?” He asked me and first I wanted to shoo him off when I noticed he felt actually as guilty as me. Zhoumi was armed but didn´t follow Hyukjae when the maknae ran off to my rescue.

“He has no outer injury but he´s exhausted and shocked, of which I would of course take care,” I told him honestly. Zhoumi bowed and I closed the door of the new and warm car. I told the driver we were ready and he started the engine.

The whole ride I didn´t take my eyes off of the sleeping man on my lap. Hyukjae was already an adult but there were certain limits and Hyukjae crossed them all today. Intelligence, physical and mental pressure, emotional shock. I feared the scars that I might have created today. The brown head moved and Hyukjae took a deep breath.

“Heechul?” He groaned and I was in my state able to even tolerate the lack of ´hyung´.

“What is it, Hyuk?” I asked and cleared the wet strands away from his face. At that moment those big chocolate orbs opened and closed again.

“I better learn to shoot and drive,” he said. I shook my head not understanding his thinking. After this, shouldn´t he avoid all of that? “So I can protect you better next time,” he explained.

“, just let me do it better next time instead, you stay away with that crumpled head of yours,” I scolded him softly and wiped my face with my sleeve. I was crying. From relief.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! I´m telling you straight that this os only the start of the action, if you feel like it ended too quickly. Thank you! - PandaHero