HJ 48

Catching Chimeras

 

 

It was Tuesday morning and the weather was still unbearable. As if the spring got consumed by autumn or something. It was raining heavily and the strong wind was crying, it reminded me of the first days I spent in this exact house. But then I preferred climbing up on the roof instead.

“That went well?” Noted Heechul coming back from the front door.

We just had an important guest that had left after giving us his disciplinary lecture. It was of course in place to punish us for acting without letting the higher-ups know about the situation. On the other hand Leeteuk had to understand that the matter was way too touchy and important to be discussed freely. In the end we were suspended for a single day, it was more welcome than not honestly. Although Heechul was dying to interrogate Song Jihyo, who was arrested and was waiting for her interrogation in her cell. I felt like the punishment should have been much stricter because I felt incredibly bad for Shindong. The nice detective was currently recovering in the hospital with serious injury in his upper body. We were incredibly lucky that the wound wasn´t fatal or I don´t know what would I have done be it the case.

“If you think so,” I answered half-heartedly and snuggled into the thick blanket. Instead of my favourite red pillow on the ground, I chose more sophisticated position on the sofa. I kept waking up the whole night and now I was super tired. The long Leeteuk´s lecture from the early morning didn´t help either.

“Just go back to sleep,” Heechul sighed seeing me totally out of order.

“I will sleep over here,” I answered sleepily. At first Heechul wanted to protest, probably about it being uncomfortable or that he wanted to sit there too. But he didn´t say anything in the end and so I took it as a signal to close my eyes.

I fell asleep quickly and woke up only for a short time, when I had to make a space for Heechul who insisted on sitting on the sofa too. But I didn´t even have the time to check on what the elder was doing before the slumber took over me again.

The next time I woke up, it was caused by a loud noise. I jumped up into sitting position and noticed that Heechul was already gone. I looked out of the window but instead of it being an evening, my first guess, I realised it was still midday but awfully dark because of the weather. I heard another sound but it felt quieter, I recognised it as thunder. So nothing’s happening? Just a storm?

“Hyukjae! Hide!” Heechul yelled from the hall. This wasn´t just a storm!

I jumped up on my legs but they were too wobbly to support my body. Yesterday I strained all my muscles with the sprint to the riverside and today I could barely move. None could be done, I had to force myself.

“-“

Heechul´s abruptly cut off curse made me almost stop breathing. I had an urge to run to the hall to him. But for once, I couldn´t exactly run and also, he told me to hide. I knew that I wasn´t lucky enough to survive two fights in a row. So I clenched my teeth and forced my body to move. There was nowhere to hide but at least I could buy us some time.

“Lee Hyukjae,” a foreign voice sang and I could hear careful footsteps at the entrance of the living room. No time to waste. I jumper over the headrest of the sofa and ducked between the furniture and the heater. Quickly I cursed Heechul for instead of traditional radiant floor, buying western central heating. It was hot!

“Search the house,” the man at the threshold ordered and entered the room. From the sounds I guessed there were three people, I had no chance against a single person.

The apparently leader of the small group of burglars was looking around the living room. He seemed to be in good mood as anytime he peeked under the table or something, he let out a chirp or giggle. He was sure that I would be found quickly, I was sure of the same. Especially because the heating was now seriously burning my side and I regretted not wearing my protector.

“Ah, here you are, little,” the voice was now dangerously close to me. Surprisingly I was happy to be found out, my skin was all red already!

“Who are you?” I asked straight as I stood up and relieved myself from the burning pain. I looked into the man´s eyes, it wasn´t easy to read him. Even his looks were average, I would have a problem to recognise this person again, even after seeing him this close now.

“Wanna guess, Hyukjae?” He said instead with a smirk on his lips.

“Likya,” I answered without hesitation. Now that I got after my initial shock, I was ready to use my head as fast as I could.

The man clapped his hands and nodded his head in approval. I was right, indeed. Then he gestured me to climb out of the space from behind the sofa. I did as told, there was nothing else I could do. And the best I behave, the better chances for survival there are for Heechul. If the latter is still alive.

“Kneel down and raise your arms,” the man ordered and I had no choice but to kneel. He chuckled darkly, probably feeling superior. I didn´t care, I was used to bowing my head in front of people that thought of themselves as superordinate. My behaviour had nothing to do with my resolution.

“The target was secured!” The man called for his colleagues once he finished tying my hands. The lock was made of metal and it was like nothing I have seen before. Even if had my arms back on my lap, I wasn´t able to do a single thing. Two other males arrived to the living room, each as mediocre as their leader. Now I realised that the similarity among them might have been intentional, so it would be very hard to identify them.

“Let´s go, Hyukjae,” the leader announced and quite harshly helped me on my legs. I struggled with the movement and almost fell backwards. Well, excuse me but I have a muscle pain.

In claws of the kidnappers I left the living room and entered the main hall where I was asked to put on my shoes. I did as told but my focus was centred only at the lying person near the door. There was no blood around Heechul but he was certainly unconscious. I hope they just knocked him down.

“What´s taking you so long?!” The average leader was getting impatient and started strolling through the hall. I used his restlessness and quickly made a sign on the floor. But once the oblivious man walking around pulled out a gun to finish my hyung off, just for assurance of course, I stumbled again and returned his attention to me.

“Done? Geez, you are so slow,” he said but luckily put his gun back. If all the enemies were this careless, the Likya would be destroyed in no time. They threw random jacket over my shoulder, unfortunately Heechul´s. I realised they had to take good care of me, I was somehow important. I could use this fact.

“Where are we going?” I asked once they opened the front door. A black car was waiting outside, almost invisible in the heavy rain. The engine was on and I guessed that the fourth kidnapper, the driver was probably inside.

“You don´t need to know,” one of the guys spat and pushed me forward.

“I´m just saying because the road is closed over there,” I pointed to the direction the car was facing. I was of course lying in order to figure out our destination.

“We´re going the other way,” the rude guy said. I didn´t even wince at his tone, that´s what I wanted to hear anyway. Now I only had to pretend to stumble again and fall on the ground. The leader face-palmed as his subordinates were awkwardly helping me up. He ordered them to support me since I was unable to walk like a normal person. I answered I wasn´t a normal person and my kidnappers agreed. They said I was a funny guy, I couldn´t but disagree.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! I told you that it was just the start of everything. Hyukjae´s gone. Thank you for reading and Happy birthday Mr. Choi! - Panda Hero