HJ 20

Catching Chimeras

 

 

The room was deathly silent and slowly drowning in darkness as the sun was setting and nobody bothered to switch on the lights. I was sitting on the windowpane and looking out of the window. Or more like I was just turned away from Heechul because my eyes couldn´t see anything at the moment. My heart felt heavy and my head was numb.

Then I heard rustling as Heechul moved. I thought he was leaving the room when I felt his hand touch my hair. My eyes widened as he started rubbing the sore spot where he just hit me. I wanted to look up and see his expression but he was faster and before I knew it, Heechul bent down and embraced me tightly. His left hand was still entangled in my hair and pushing my head to rest on his shoulder. The other hand was soothingly my back and I felt like relaxing into the hug.

“I´m sorry, Hyukjae,” Heechul´s voice was quiet but close enough for me to hear, “don´t hate me. I didn´t want to hurt you.”

“I don´t hate you, hyung,” I mumbled against his colourful shirt, “I´m just-“

I didn´t know how to continue. I wasn´t sure of my own feelings myself. I think I simply wasn´t prepared for another change, another step. I still wanted to mourn and hide in my warm knitted sweater. I didn´t want to meet new people and socialise yet. I would, I hated being alone but I wasn´t ready. And although it will sound strange and impossible, I hoped that Heechul would be the one to understand me. That I rather stay in his house with him and those stupid cats then continuing my life as if nothing had happened.

“Sad?” Heechul asked. “Are you sad, Hyukjae?” I was a little surprised by his simple reasoning. It didn´t fit his image to realise what was wrong with me but this time he hit it. I nodded my head.

And then I maybe cried but only a little. I don´t know if Heechul didn´t notice or pretended he didn´t but I still felt grateful. And I even made an effort to show him my thankfulness and returned the hug. My fingers even so lightly went to rest at Heechul´s back. We stayed like this until the room went completely dark. When we let go, we both sighed loudly.

“Let´s go eat something. I heard the grumbling in your stomach,” the older man stood up.

“Yeah,” I admitted and was surprised how cheerful my voice sounded.

“And stop crying, Fairy. It´s not like we can´t ever see each other,” Heechul added when leaving the room.

“And who said I would want to see you!” I rebutted but followed him to the kitchen.

That evening we had dinner together and then we watched movies in the living room until we fell asleep. It was as if the heavy atmosphere suddenly lifted up and nothing but fresh thin air was enveloping us. I could breathe properly and even forgot about leaving on Monday. But the time of pure leisure was too short, shorter than planned.

It was around eleven when we were both finally awake. I was in the bathroom taking shower and Heechul was downstairs preparing us breakfast. I stepped out of the bath and dried myself with a towel. I let it hang around my shoulders and shook my wings so they would dry too. I knew it would make a mess in the room but at least the fog dispersed. I looked at myself in the mirror and ran a hand through my wet blonde hair. I sighed looking at the poor human being in the reflection. I gotta put on some fat. Sitting down I started bandaging my hurt knee when I heard some voices. The sound was muted in the bathroom so I hurried to dress up so I could go and take a look. I opened the door and walked down the hallway.

“Ah, Hyukjae,” Leeteuk welcomed me when I arrived to the kitchen. I glanced behind him where a grumpy Heechul was standing and frowning. Did they have a fight?

“Hello, Leeteuk hyung,” I answered politely to the older man.

“You look much better, are you feeling alright?” Leeteuk asked me with a warm smile on his lips. I didn´t know what to answer him, especially after Heechul snorted, and so I simply nodded my head.

“Sit down,” the cat loving hyung ordered and I felt like I should exceptionally listen with the superior in the room. I seated myself at the dining table and Heechul put a plate with toasts and sausages in front of me. The real jackpot, though, was the box of strawberry milk that followed. Yeah, today I feel like eating breakfast.

“I´m happy to see you eat, Hyukjae,” Leeteuk said and sat in front of me with his cup of coffee, “after you finish, you can go and pack your stuff.” Suddenly my appetite dropped and I couldn´t swallow a single piece anymore. “There´s a vacant place in the institute for you so I shall move you there today. Heechulie told me that you don´t feel really comfortable with moving again but you don´t have to worry at all. You will be taken care of well there and of course safe too. There will be others like you who will happily befriend you.” I could tell Leeteuk was good with words. But some were better with using only a few. Let me show you an example.

“Nonsense, there´s no one like him in there,” Heechul barked and pointed at me. See?

“Shut up,” Leeteuk´s angelic face transformed. Then he turned back to me with a smile on his lips. Creepy.

“You will be able to restart your studies when you feel like it. I witnessed you are quite smart,” the smile turned even scarier. I guess he didn´t like my last attempt to escape then? “So we will of course give you a chance to show what you´ve got.”

Well, now that was a good offer. I didn´t really want to be placed into an institute with strange kids and all but I definitely had some ambitions in the future. I couldn´t live with Heechul hyung forever, he didn´t want to be my family and I couldn´t blame him for that. He did enough for me in my worst moments and now I really had to fight for myself. If Leeteuk´s words aren´t just empty, I´m going to get the best out of them.

“Do you promise?” I asked the older man seriously. Leeteuk was slightly taken aback and Heechul snorted hissing something along the lines that I was scheming again.

“I do, Hyukjae,” Leeteuk answered firmly and gave me his hand. I shook it and walked out of the kitchen to pack my belongings. I had my answer. I knew what I had to do.

It didn´t take me too long to gather all my things. I didn´t have much stuff to begin with and I tend to keep everything in order too. I brought my bag to the main hall where Leeteuk already waited with his coat on. I also put on my jacket and shoes.

“Give it to me, I´ll wait for you in the car,” Leeteuk said and took away my bag. I was left standing alone in the hall. I waited for Heechul to come so I could say goodbye. The latter wasn´t coming, though.

“Hyung?” I called. “Heechul hyung!” Again nobody was answering and I didn´t know what to think of that. I was disappointed and honestly a little pissed too. Is he picking a fight with me at this moment? Does he want to part in bad terms? What a bastard.

“Whatever then! Just so you know,” I yelled to be sure he would hear me. “I won´t miss you! Not at all, hyung!” I bit my lip to suppress my emotions that began overflowing me. I was lying; I would miss him a lot although we fought most of the time. The time was short too.

“You selfish cat lover! Stuff yourself with all your stupid cupcakes and keep wearing those ugly shirts! Play your games well! Gah! I can´t stand you!” In the end I exploded and yelled all possible nonsense that came to my mind. I knew I would feel guilty later but the fact I was still given no answer even after all the yelling kept me from apologising. Was it so easy for him to draw the line? Did he erase me so fast? I huffed and turned around. Opening the door I yelled my last words before I would finally disappear from his life and give him his stupid peace.

“Bye, Kim Heechul!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! The parting chapter is here! Hyukjae was becoming emotional but soon he will go back to his cool self. :) What about Heechul now? You´ll see! But don´t ask me when :D The updates are a little chaotic nowadays, sorry for that! :) Thank you for reading and commenting, I´m so glad Heehyuk couple has still some fans (according to Heechul, though, "Chobum" ChocoXHeebum are the topic instead) - PandaHero