HC 53

Catching Chimeras

 

 

“I´m going to move, okay?” I said loud enough for the guards and the doctor to hear. My eyes were only on Hyukjae, though, that stupid curious Fairy.

Then I slowly stood up from my seat with my hands up just in case. But nobody said anything, not even after I kneeled down in front of Hyukjae. The young man looked into my eyes and his usual cold face scrunched horribly into a bundle of wrinkles. The tears started falling down from his eyes and slid down his cheeks. Hyukjae was biting his lower lip in order to not sob aloud but his body was shaking so much that everyone could tell right away.

“Heechul,” he sniffled and bent over. His face fell on my shoulder and his long arms rounded my shoulders so quickly that I put my hands down because I thought he was falling down. I grabbed him by his waist and began laughing. My body was flooded from the inside with happiness and from the outside by Hyukjae´s tears.

“And I thought the young one was made of ice!” The doctor joked and pointed to us.

“I thought so too,” Zhoumi agreed and shook his head.

“And I thought that the chef couldn´t stand chimeras,” Minho grumbled from the table.

Some more remarks fell upon us but we didn´t care. How much burden must have fallen off of Hyukjae´s shoulders? He was preparing to die in any possible moment and now these good news for him. Hyukjae would live and I would make sure that his life would be happy, the happiest ever! No more misfortune and sadness. I would protect him no matter what, I promise, I swear! I tightened my hold on his waist and Hyukjae buried his face into the crook of my neck. I turned my head slightly to the side and kissed his temple lightly with this naïve hope that nobody would notice.

“Mhm,” Hyukjae moaned and began making some effort to suppress his cry.

“Shh, it´s alright, Hyuk,” soothing him I began drawing little circles with my thumbs on his waist. Hyukjae slowly stopped shaking and then let out a long sigh. The whole room quieted down and nobody dared to interrupt Hyukjae´s breathing. I pulled on his waist and that made the thin man lean back. His left hand stayed on my shoulder and his right used the long sleeve to wipe up his snotty red face.

“Better?” I asked him with a smile and Hyukjae nodded.

“I hope this wasn´t a joke, doctor,” Hyukjae´s voice cracked.

“Don´t worry,” the man standing above us said, “I really meant what I said.”

“I didn´t want to die, you know,” Hyukjae sniffled, “even if I said otherwise.”

“I know, Hyukjae,” I squeezed his waist again, “you can´t fool me after all.” I added and helped him to clean his still wet face. Then I smothered his hair and for the last time caressed his waist. After that I carefully stood up and fearlessly sat again in front of the aimed gun of my personal guard.

“It´s been almost an hour, we should go,” doctor Ha announced and gestured for the two guards to help the injured Minho again. Speaking about him, I felt quite guilty. But Minho only said something like he did count with a little sacrifice and that he would ask for the compensation later.

Very slowly we relocated from the medical unit to a room that was probably the biggest in the bunker. A big round table was standing in the middle and apart from the big number of chairs, around the table and by all the walls, there was lots of methodical equipment. Various boards and also a projector. This must have been, where all those stupid ideas were cooked.

Zhoumi and Minho were sitting close to the door and leaning against the wall. They had a guard on each side but seemed very composed for the gravy situation they were in. I and Hyukjae had the ´honour´ to sit by the round table and our guards were standing awkwardly behind us. Doctor Ha was seated from one side of Hyukjae and I from the other. Somehow I felt like this was the best outcome in the current situation as doctor Ha seemed to have a soft spot for the Fairy. Half of the table became filled with some other doctors and people, I´ve never seen before. But to my surprise, when the commander Ok arrived into the room, he didn´t sit across from us but on the side. So he wasn´t the main course?

“Commander Ok is the head of this base and doctor Ha is the head of the living chimera research in this facility. Every base has similar system to this one but there is this small group above them all,” Hyukjae whispered. “They are the leaders of the Likya group.”

“How did you find this out?” I asked him back. Hyukjae pointed to the man beside him and I quickly understood that doctor Ha answered already more than just a few questions for Hyukjae. The Fairy was really good at gathering information, better than me I had to admit. But when it came to more practical stuff, he always ended up injured or something along the lines.

“How are you feeling by the way?” I asked him, remembering his weakness this morning and the fact that they shoved him down the stairs. And I don´t care if it was an accident.

“I´m fine, don´t worry,” Hyukjae whispered with a small smile and pink cheeks. His eyes were still a little red from the crying and his hands were cold. Nobody said I couldn´t hold his hand under the table.

“Sure?” I pressed on the subject because I was worried he might lie to me.

“Yeah, I had a good sleep and I got even fed,” Hyukjae answered and began rubbing my knuckles with his thumb.

“Then you´re even better than me, I´m hungry,” I told him and Hyukjae snorted.

“Quiet!” Commander Ok didn´t like us being in a good mood in consideration to our grave situation. Also after his yell, he stood up and saluted. Together with him stood up the rest of the personnel, nobody went as far as to salute, though. I guessed it was simply Ok Taecyeon´s habit, if he was somehow connected to the army in the past or present, I should be careful around him. Now I was curious why everyone was standing. My question was fast answered as three men and a woman entered the room and sat down on the most privileged places around the table. I see, the big animals are here.

“I heard you might have found a possible candidate for me, Ha Donghoon,” the woman in aual long dress spoke up first

“Uh, I´m not finished with the tests but it does seem like it,” doctor Ha nervously grinned at the woman.

“Why would you say something this big without even finishing the testing?” A man in dark jacket leaned into his clasped hands and raised his brows at the doctor.

“Because he´s far the best specimen I´ve had in my laboratory and I don´t think, anyone could be any better,” doctor Ha explained and I was slowly beginning to understand, where this was going.

“He looks somehow frail,” the woman now openly scanned Hyukjae.

“But his body is showing no resistance against the implanted animal genes and on top of that his own good traces like intellect and athletic abilities are very pleasing,” doctor Ha was now pointing his fingers at Hyukjae´s head. I was inwardly already boiling but Hyukjae was stubbornly squeezing my hand on his lap and forcing me to stay put. I had no choice but to calm down.

“Hm, in that case it´s the time to move forward with the plan. Can you start with your part right away?” The man in dark jacket looked at the woman by his side. Doctor Ha Donghoon was the head of the living chimeras’ research, so she must have been the head of the DNA process research.

“Of course, I´ll be happy to finally resume my work,” the aual woman nodded. At that point I was very close before exploding. Hyukjae even had to clasp my hand between his palms to keep me sitting. I felt like a dog on a leash honestly. If he let go, I would tear them to pieces. But the lanky man next to me had also something to say and I was glad he spoke up instead of me, I would certainly just swear.

“That´s really nice,” everybody´s attention was suddenly on Hyukjae, “but I´m not planning to become a father in my age yet.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Asa! I´m sorry, I forgot to update yesterday :D I´m soon starting a new eunhae story so please check it out: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/937543. Thank you and take care!!! - PandaHero