HJ 36

Catching Chimeras

 

 

“What´s with that question?” Heechul asked and looked so shocked that I considered asking him to let me drive. Even though I didn´t have a driving licence.

“I live in the police dorms right now and it´s not very comfortable,” I explained.

After I graduated from the institute, I couldn´t stay there. I wasn´t a student anymore and principal thought that it wasn´t very safe for me to stay in the school. Also I knew a little too much already and the life there was becoming slightly difficult for me. The police dorms weren´t any more comfortable, though. I was sharing a room with two other recruits and I had to be careful all the time so they wouldn´t bump in by chance when I was changing. My wings had to be kept a secret from everyone, especially from men full of fighting spirit like these recruits.

“Hyukjae,” Heechul whined and was looking for the right words. “I don´t know.” He sighed at the end and I understood that it was game over. The detective clutched the steering wheel and cursed silently under his breath.

“I see. It´s okay, I will find a solution. Don´t bother with it,” I said with a smile because I noticed that Heechul felt guilty. I didn´t want to push him and I could always think of a different place. It´s just that I would prefer living with him than with somebody else.

“How are the cats doing?” I asked instead to let the conversation continue.

“Getting fat as always,” Heechul laughed and I had to chuckle too. “They come and go, something like you,” he added with a smile.

“It´s not like you mind, huh?” I returned the joke, “As long as we come back.”

“Yeah,” the raven haired man sighed in contentment. His eyes on the road and a gentle smile on his lips. “As long as you come back.”

The car stopped at the hospital parking lot and we both climbed out. I took a deep breath and made the first step towards my first official case. I was a detective now and I was prepared to take my job seriously, even if I had to go against my very own kind.

We entered the hospital and the horrible smell of disinfection invaded my nose. It wasn´t a pleasant smell, nobody felt good in hospital. I followed Heechul to the lift and down to the basement where the morgue was situated. Although the hallway was brightly lit, it still felt kind of eerie because to the contrast with the rest of the building, it was completely silent here. At the end of the hallway we turned right and entered a clean room that was guarded by an agent from the ASC. The agent gave me a stare, I was probably an unfamiliar face for him. He missed the morning gathering after all.

“Here we go,” Heechul called and I rushed to his side, “don´t get startled, Hyuk.” He warned me and slowly uncovered the body lying beneath the white sheet.

Against hyung´s expectations I wasn´t surprised. My own curiosity caused me bigger frights in the past and this was nothing compared to the horrible pictures I was the witness of. A male chimera, around my age of course, was lying on the metal table and his face and upper body was covered in patched up holes. Somebody shot this guy dead with a gun and didn´t stop shooting even after the boy died. Later the body got thrown into the Han River but found very quickly by a citizen, that´s what was written in the report anyway.

“We need to find out if he was killed in a stable form or if he had already suffered from an illness. The attacker then would be judged differently be it a self-defence,” Heechul explained and I listened carefully. He was my superior and also long experienced detective.

“Are you alright?” Heechul asked me.

“Yeah, no problem,” I ensured him with a smile. Hyung was a little taken aback by this, he surely expected me to be fainting after seeing the body. My calmness made him want to test me even more.

“Okay,” he stepped away and made a space for me to come closer, “which do you think is it, detective?” He asked me and I bit my lip in nervousness. It was a bad habit, jabbing on my lower lip.

“I´ve never actually seen a body so-“

“Close?” Heechul smirked still looking for any kind of fright or disgust from me.

“No, I mean clean. The bodies I´ve seen at the institute were always half destroyed. This one looks too good but I will try,” I explained and put on the gloves. Heechul´s jaw dropped.

You see, when I was preparing for my exam, I did my best to find as much as I could. After many rounds of arguing with the headmaster, he allowed me to see the bodies of chimeras before they would get incinerated. I often doubted, if I made the right decision because the chimeras I got to see most of the time died by decaying and it wasn´t a nice view honestly.

“I think he was still stable when he got killed,” I said when I forced his mouth open with my fingers. Pushing your fingers in somebody´s mouth wasn´t cute even when the person was still alive so I decided not to care. At least he couldn´t bite me with those fangs anymore.

“Hm and why do you think so?” Heechul asked rhetorically. He surely knew the answer and was waiting for my explanation.

“Well, canine and feline chimeras when in shock often, I mean always,” I quickly corrected myself. “They always tear the muscles holding the jaw and very often either lose their teeth or bite off their tongues.”

“Very good,” Heechul clapped, “now, please, take out your fingers from the poor guy´s mouth, bleh.” Hyung grimaced and I quickly took them out and shook my hand. Goosebumps ran through my spine and I trembled. Nah, that wasn´t pretty.

“That´s it, let´s go back. I will give out some orders for the guard and the pathologist. You go wash your hands and meet me at the elevator.

I nodded and went to the bathroom. As I was passing by the agent in the door, I slightly bowed to him but he glared at me again. He didn´t even know who I was. When he gets back and finds out, I wonder how uglier he would glare at me. I guess I will have to work very hard to establish myself in the ASC.

Heechul was already waiting when I arrived to the lift and once we stepped in, he ran his hand through my hair. I hummed not knowing how to react better to the treatment. I liked it when he my hair and I guessed that it was a form of appraisal for the good job. The hand retreated once we were up in the hospital again but a smile that I had on my lips refused to go away. We walked to the car and on the ride back played an album from ´D&E´ because Heechul insisted that I should get to know my doppelganger better. I only laughed and even lip-synched for a little while. Heechul kept singing through the whole drive and I told him in the end to release his own album.

“I´m sure you were just making fun of me,” Heechul scolded when we were walking through the hallway, returning to the office.

“No way, I was honest of course!” I told him and did my best to hold back a smile.

“You are laughing!” Hyung attacked and pointed a finger to me. As if I didn´t receive enough attention already, he had to embarrass me too.

“I´m not, I´m serious,” I said and gave him a super poker face. But I must have failed because I got a pat at the back of my head.

“Tsk, you brat,” Heechul snorted.

I was glad when we finally arrived to the office and closed the door behind the commotion in the open space. I´m not sure if I´ll be ever able to make friends over here. This hyung would chop all the little chances I have left probably. It´s not like I would mind too much if I have him at least him.

“Ah, Eunhyukkie!” Choi Minho exclaimed as soon as I entered. What´s with the stupid endearment anyway?

“Yes?” I answered coldly, soothing down the flames coming from the tall guy.

“I just talked to the director and he told me you were looking for a place to stay,” he said rushing to me.

“Well, I do,” I answered honestly and a little confused. Heechul also stayed near to hear the conversation properly. He should fix that eavesdropping habit, but he´s a detective so it might be just an occupational disease. Minho grabbed my shoulders happily.

“Perfect! I was just looking for a roommate!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! How did you all knew I was going to talk about Hyukjae´s looking for house? :D Still, you didn´t expect Heechul to reject hi, heh? Sorry for that, but there is one suspicious side character that needed some attention. :) Look forward to more surprises that I have prepared for you. Eunhae album is out and also the teaser for the japanese release but I also mentioned Heechul´s album in the story. I wonder when will that one come out :D Thank you for reading and have a nice day! - PandaHero