HC 55

Catching Chimeras

 

 

“Idiot,” I mumbled hearing Hyukjae´s response. What else was I supposed to say at the moment anyway?

I was sitting with my arms in front of me and cuffed to the seat. Hyukjae was sitting next to me and his head was resting on my left shoulder. I wished I could put my arm around his shoulders but I couldn´t move properly and Hyukjae would refuse any other position. His eyes were glued to the front as he was checking the road and maybe even counting the distance. The only thing I could do to show him some comfort was to make him relax. I leaned lower and kissed his soft brown air. Hyukjae shivered but didn´t say anything, he didn´t even move and I took it as a good signal.

Wait, a signal for what?! Things are getting a little out of hand in my head. Possibly, I´m not hitting on him, am I? He´s a guy and also too young, I can´t act like a teenage love boy towards him. But it feels more natural to cuddle his thin frame than to treat him like another rough ASC agent. It would be simply wrong to not be gentle and friendly when with Hyukjae. And this might be also our last case so acting unnaturally would be only a bother. We might as well never make it alive out of this. And so I stamped another kiss against Hyukjae´s temple.

“One more, please,” Hyukjae suddenly mumbled against my sleeve.

“One more what?” I . I knew perfectly well what he was referring to and I hoped to make him embarrassed.

“That,” Hyukjae mumbled incoherently. I pretended not to understand and he had to make himself clear. “One more kiss, Heechul,” Hyukjae whined and I watched as his ears turned bright red. It made me so happy that I decided to let him just call me by my name. He dropped the ´hyung´ long ago anyway.

“Since you are so cute,” I said and without hesitation pressed my lips against the tip of his red ear that was peeking out of the brown hair. I didn’t pull out right away, instead I brushed my nose against his head. Only then I pulled out and chuckled. Hyukjae hasn´t spoken since then.

The drive took about two hours because we were using only narrow local routes. Yet we weren´t too far from Sokcho, we were actually very close to Seoraksan National Park. The cars turned right on a side way and then we finally arrived to our destination. It was a small wooden hut on one of the smaller mountains. The engine died down and Hyukjae sat up properly after passing the whole two hours attached to my side. He might have been simply cold now that I think about it. I left his coat in the previous bunker after all. I would give him mine but I still couldn´t take my hands apart.

“Get off,” Yang Seungho opened Hyukjae´s door as at the same time another man opened mine and took out the chain tying me to the seat in front of me. I was free but there was nowhere to run too. It was also pitch dark in this strange place in the middle of the woods. Escape wasn´t an option.

Hyukjae climbed out of the car and shivered. I was quick to stand next to him but that was all I could do at the moment. We were robbed of our weapons and phones when we got caught. I couldn´t send any signal to Jungsu and this place also wasn´t among those we got from Song Jihyo. The situation was pretty dangerous and I would have to use all my wits to protect Hyukjae.

We entered the wooden hut that looked like any other lonely hut in the woods. Except for the fact that there was no poor grandpa and also there was an entrance to a huge basement right under the carpet. I was amazed when I was asked to descend the metal stairwell and found myself in a base as hi-tech as those, owned by the national army. I could already feel the headache coming, we were in a huge mess right now. I wonder how do we get out of here.

They put us in a small room. It had simple bed, small bathroom behind the white door and a piece of furniture here and there. Of course there were no windows and nothing to use for an escape. There were no sharp or heavy objects. The furniture was cheap and there was no lock on the bathroom so you couldn´t even barricade there. The room was perfectly escape-proof because not even my expert on running away seemed to have an idea.

“They said you have five hours to rest, you should sleep,” I told Hyukjae, “it must be passed the midnight already.”

“I´m too antsy to fall asleep,” said Hyukjae and began walking around the room. He checked every crook and cranny in order to find at least something he could use to avoid his destiny.

“I heard you fell from the stairs earlier today,” I started, “you were too tired to walk properly, weren´t you? If you don´t rest, you will be having hard times later.” I sat on the corner of the bed and crossed my arms. The younger kept rummaging around.

“If I am too weak, they might not be able to work and would send me back,” he said and squatted to look under the simple table.

“You promised to cooperate,” I reminded him. Hyukjae jumped up on his legs.

“That´s right! They might hurt you, if I don´t do well. I´m sorry, I haven´t thought of that,” the thin man was quick to apologise. His face looked so sad that I gestured him to come to me. Hyukjae obediently shuffled closer.

“I don´t care about my safety at all. I´m glad you made them bring me with you,” I held his forearms. Luckily they took away our cuffs and I could touch him properly. “I promise I will save us. I have a little hope already,” I told him truthfully.

“Hope? That person?” Hyukjae´s eyes widened.

“Yep, I think it will work out,” I confirmed his guess. Of course Fairy would know of my little idea, the guy was just too smart for his own good. But at the same time he was weak. The weakness he played on various people was possible only because he couldn´t show his strength. Hyukjae was smart and maybe even fast but he wasn´t strong and he was most importantly unlucky. Come on, those Likya guys were waiting for years for suitable chimera and it had to be Hyukjae out of hundreds of people. Hyukjae´s bad luck was as amazing as his quick wits.

“Okay,” the brown haired detective uncharacteristically mumbled. Why was he being so cute today? Is it because he was sleepy since the morning? Was it maybe his true nature? I was looking for his real self for a long time already but all I got was a cold kid that would smile only in front of me. I didn´t know the reason, and I scolded myself for thinking this stuff right now, but I couldn´t help but feel charmed by him.

“Let´s go to sleep then,” Hyukjae said and I nodded.

“I hope you don´t expect me to sleep on the floor or something,” I said and put down my shoes and striped from my coat. I climbed under the blanket and waited for Hyukjae, who was untying his shoes still. He´s so slow in this.

“I hope you don´t expect the same,” he answered once he was done and dove under the same blanket as me.

“I thought you would sleep under the table but suit yourself,” I joked and the little detective laughed.

“Thank you, Heechul,” he said politely and snuggled into the pillow. I wondered, if he was acting again and pretending to not notice the familiarity in which he pronounced my name. But I let it go because I´ve already decided to not care about that and let him call me however he wanted.

“You´re welcome, Fairy,” I couldn´t forgive myself a little prod. Hyukjae snorted but didn´t find it important to react anymore and left his eyes closed.

He was lying next to me like some kind of a puppet that was left to rest after the exhausting theatre. Hyukjae was on his left side, facing me, and his long arms were in front of him sprawled unmoving. His soft hair was all over the pillow in a mess, stretching into all possible directions. His white face looked calm and peaceful and I knew, he was finally calming down a little. His breathing was regular, just like his temperature. Hyukjae was going to be fine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! Doesn´t seem like the calm before storm? Yep, that´s right! Prepare for the last fight! I feel like today the Spring finally arrived. The weather is so nice over here. Have a good day, everyone and thank you - PandaHero