HC 33

Catching Chimeras

 

 

“It´s Hyukjae´s birthday tomorrow,” Cheon Songim, my only female subordinate said and gave me a cup of coffee.

“And?” I asked her paying no attention to the discussion.

“Well, the guys from our team thought that we could buy Hyukjae a present. We collected some money and bought him pretty branded clothes that he might like and-,” Songim continued.

“And?” I rudely interrupted her because this talk was getting on my nerves.

“You are surely visiting him on his birthday, right? I thought that I would go with you and give him the present,” my pretty subordinate smiled widely in that cute motherly smile. She looked really excited because she probably wanted to see Fairy´s reaction to her present.

“No,” my answer was finite and stern. On top of that I didn´t spare her a single glance.

“Oppa, what´s wrong with you? I would just wait outside and be quick, I promise!” Seongim pleaded with all the aegyo that she could muster.

“I´m not going either,” I stood up and took my jacket.

“What? Why?” The woman insisted and all my other colleague had the same surprised expressions.

“I´m busy,” trying to shoo her off I gave her back the cup with coffee that I had no intention of drinking because I was leaving. I grabbed my bag and keys and started walking towards the door.

“Oppa, you forgot?!” Songim exclaimed. She has always been quite daring but I liked this kind of attitude for a detective. But right now it was annoying.

“Yeah, I did and I don´t care. You should focus rather on your work too,” I told her and slammed the door behind me.

I pushed my hands into the pockets of my red coat and walked to the elevator. As I was waiting, I kept staring at my blur reflection on the metal door. I felt like and wanted to just sleep. Delicious dinner, hot bath and good night sleep, that was all I needed. But this kind of comfort had to wait, I still had some work to do.

The best present for Hyukjae would be to have his case solved. We passed so much time on it but we were still far from reaching the goal. Although that depends on how you look at the case and more importantly, which one of Lee Hyukjae´s cases you mean. We have two different files opened for the boy. One doesn´t look like it would be closed any time soon. The other is at its finishing phase.

The doors of the elevator made a quiet ding and I stepped inside. I pushed the button for the underground parking lot and leaned against the wall. The doors closed and the lift began slowly moving. When the metal box finally settled, I stepped out and pulled out my car keys. I pushed the small button and four orange lights blinked on my right.

The black sleek car was the biggest comfort I could get these days and I enjoyed every second passed by driving. I haven´t seen my bed for days, the office desk was my new sleeping place. I couldn´t lose any minute when we were this close. Soon I will have that bastard behind the bars. I started the car and stepped on the pedal.

When I arrived in front of the old building, another familiar car was already parked there. I smirked and entered the ancient entrance. The house was built in the older days and didn´t have any lift. Irritated I climbed up the stairs and stopped in front of one apartment. I knocked on the door and waited for a few minutes before the door revealed a short man.

“Oh, detective Kim. What brings you here at this time?” Kim Junho smiled, his thin moustache got squished between his nose and upper lip giving him more than unattractive looks.

“Don´t worry, I will be quick,” I said and stepped into the house without any invitation, “Hyukjae is waiting for me downstairs so I better hurry.”

“Hyukjae is here with you?” Kim Junho´s eyes widened behind his silver glasses and after closing the door he rushed to the window. I settled in the seat in his huge office while the short man kept glancing down from the window, scanning the street. “Oh, I see him, that blonde hair.”

It was apparent that the lawyer was appalled by the blonde boy. Junho couldn´t hide the anger and disgust he felt towards the chimera but it wasn´t enough proof to make him guilty. I watched as the small man racked his brain on how to approach his clueless victim. It took a great self-control and patience from my part as I started talking about some unnecessary stuff around the paperwork. Kim Junho as expected didn´t pay much attention to me as his hungry eyes didn´t leave the person waiting on the street.

I watched as Junho planted his face against the glass so he would be able to look closer. This movement was a signal that the blonde boy downstairs crossed the street and was now standing right under the lawyer´s window. Let´s start the second part of the plan then.

“Can I use the bathroom before I go?” I asked and stood up.

“Yeah, of course,” Kim Junho said, not taking his eyes off of his prey.

The suspect was hooked and all that was left was to catch him red handed. We couldn´t gather enough evidence to accuse him of the attack on Hyukjae. But it was certain that Kim Junho was the man that set the hut in Andong on fire. We tried to find a solution and ended up with a risky plan like this. I was leaning against the bathroom door and earnestly waiting for a sound that would indicate that Junho fell into our trap.

Bang!

I harshly opened the bathroom door and ran into the office. I had my identity police card in one hand, in the left one I was holding a loaded gun. I found Kim Junho standing in front of the opened window and pulling his hair in absolute rage.

“What´s going on?!” He roared but before he could say anything else, he was tackled down by me.

“You are arrested, lawyer Kim Junho for an attempted murder. You do not have to say anything. But, it may harm your defense if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.” I recited a long time ago learned by heart words while putting the handcuffs around the short man´s wrists.

When two ASC agents arrived into the room, I stood up and went to take a look out of the window. A huge stereo was lying smashed on the pavement right under the window. But it was of no interest for me because I knew that exactly this would happen. That Kim Junho would throw the first heavy object he could find in the room to kill Hyukjae. But I wasn´t looking for Hyukjae either, the boy was naturally still safely in the institute. Finally I caught a sight of a slim man taking off a blond wig, his flaming eyes were as ambitious as always and his face clean of any injuries. Looks like the substitute agent is fine, smooth.

I nodded for myself and hid the gun under my red coat again. I sighed in relief and ran a hand through my black hair. Hyukjae, I caught him, I muttered to myself. But I can´t see you yet. Thinking of not seeing Hyukjae anymore made my heart squeeze and the happiness from catching the criminal diminished quickly. I had to admit that I would miss the blonde Fairy and that I grew fond of the boy. So much I actually remembered his birthay, and that isn´t something I usually do. Stupid Songim and her mother instincts, she made me feel bad.

I promised Jungsu that I won´t see you anymore, Hyukjae and he told me you don´t want to see me anymore either. I know you have a reason for doing this and so I won´t meet you until I solve the other case too. That´s what I swore the day I caught Kim Junho but that day I had no idea I would have to wait years.

 

 

Yes, almost exactly three years after the trial of the Lee family´s lawyer had passed. I was standing in the biggest open office of the ASC where the most agents had their little uncomfortable desks. Almost everybody from the department crawled out of their places and were staring at the two people standing in front of the director´s office with curiosity.

“Today I would like to introduce you our newest meat, a help that arrived from the ASC institute. I ask you all to act professional and understanding. I won´t tolerate any mistreatments and that goes for you too,” Park Jungsu at the last sentence looked next to him at a guy as tall as himself. “Introduce yourself.”

“Hello, my name is Eunhyuk, nice to meet you. Please look after me well,” the brown haired man said and bowed deeply.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! What a big jump, right? I needed things to start moving and Kim Junho was too little fish to make his capture longer than half of the chapter (apology to all Junho´s fans! Still better off than Seunggi, tho). Are you surprised? Probably not, you already expected all this... But what if it´s another twist?! :D I´m not sure about the next updates, I have a dancing ball on Friday. After that I´m going to be knocked out and on Sunday I´m going skiing. :P Thank you for reading and take care! - PandaHero