HC 45

Catching Chimeras

 

 

“Go without me, I think I will return back to Hyuk after all,” I informed my colleagues and went to the opposite direction of our favourite eatery.

I had a bad feeling because Hyukjae had a slight fever this morning. He said he would rest instead of the lunch and nobody of course protested. How could anybody say anything after the bad news we received from the lab? Hyukjae has with a little luck two years left at most, it´s pretty certain that he´s feeling at least under the weather today. That´s why I can´t just simply go and eat my lunch with ease. All I can do is to stay by his side until the very end.

Or at least that was what I thought about doing before I entered the office. Hyukjae didn´t expect me to return so fast and was ultimately terrified seeing me standing by the door. Why? I caught him red handed! That little rat, sick my ! He´s perfectly healthy and sneaking around the computers too.

“What are you doing?” I asked him in a low voice, which I knew would send shivers down his spine. And as expected, the younger man shook in his shoes.

“Hyung,” Hyukjae only whined, too startled to activate his usually wittier than anybody´s head.

“Answer, Eunhyuk!” I ordered and began walking to him. Hyukjae winced hearing the codename from my mouth. It was the first time I called him like that. I stopped right in front of his chair and looked down into those shocked huge orbs.

“I wanted to tell you but not until I was sure, hyung,” Hyukjae began explaining, “I swear,” he was squirming under my stern gaze.

This was something very unusual. Lee Hyukjae wasn´t the type to let a cat steal his tongue. He always had a comeback that was just as confident as Federer’s return. He also didn´t let anyone step over him, even those who seemed to be above him were just pawns trapped in his game. Jungsu and the institute principal had probably no idea, how good of tools they became for Hyukjae, who pretended to have his tail between his legs. No, Hyukjae knew fear but not the fear of authorities. So why was he now trembling like a child when I was watching him? Did I maybe hold something that the younger had respect for? I didn´t know why was Hyukjae submitting but I didn´t really like it either. It felt off.

“I think I asked you different question,” I leaned closer and Hyukjae bit his lip. Then I noticed his right hand move slightly. I knew it! Hyukjae was playing another act! I´m so dumb really. I sighed.

“I forgot the question?” Hyukjae tried for the last time and then his hands returned to his lap. He was done, there was no need to buy any more time to fool me, his nimble hands already hid the evidence of his wrong doing. Now I guess he would come up with a good lie and that would be the end of it.

“What are you doing here?” I repeated only for the show. I knew he would lie but I was of course curious too.

“Please, don´t tell it to anybody,” Hyukjae started and I raised my brow, “but my lips tend to dry quickly so I use lip-balms. But I forgot mine at home and so I was looking through the drawers, if I could find any.” Good lie, I would have eaten it, if I wasn´t as alert as I am around Hyukjae.

“Fine,” I said and Hyukjae thought, he had won. “Now that I don´t feel like murdering you anymore, tell me the truth. And show me, what you hid behind your belt. I will have to strip you, if you don´t,” I warned. This time it was Hyukjae, who sighed.

“I guess I overdid it, you found out,” he said dejected and put his hand behind his back. He pulled out a small black object and showed it to me.

“USB? What were you trying to do with this computer?” I asked surprised.

“If I said that I wanted better access to the ASC data, would you believe me?” Hyukjae tried again.

“Nope,” I said and gave his head a little slap, “I already know that you hacked Zhoumi´s, you little scum.”

“Indeed, you are the best detective,” Hyukjae answered jovially but then turned serious again, “watch then.” He turned back to the computer and turned it on, the screen asked for the password.

I watched carefully as Hyukjae confidently clicked on the answering box. Did he know the password? It´s not easy to find out something like this and especially from the owner of this exact computer. Hyukjae gave me a meaningful glance and I knew, I should anticipate something big. And by big, I didn´t expect Hyukjae to write down his own name. The screen blinked and the computer revealed all the inner data.

“What´s the meaning behind this?” I asked shocked.

“I have a pretty strong theory and I hope, it won´t be true. But you know hyung, my worst theories always turn right,” Hyukjae told me and inserted his USB to the computer. He opened a few files that had also a password, this time Hyukjae´s birthday. I guess he had already checked the computer before because he knew perfectly well, what he was looking for. As the data was copying, he opened another file with a single document inside.

“Open it,” I ordered and Hyukjae only nodded his head before clicking on the document. It was a list of various names. Some of them sounded familiar and I quickly understood that they were all chimeras. Next to them was written either ´unknown whereabouts´ or ´localized´.

“, it´s almost the same as the list I found at the principal´s,” Hyukjae cursed. Wait, if it´s the same list, then Hyukjae´s name should be written there too. I quickly scanned the letters until I found the three I was looking for. Then cold sweat dropped on my heavy body.

“Localized.”

“As expected,” Hyukjae said as if nothing and was already closing the windows. He saved all the important data on his USB and quickly turned off the computer.

“That means you were right and Likya are inside the ASC,” I watched as Hyukjae hid the USB safely in his pants´ pocket.

“They were from the very start, hyung,” Hyukjae said, “and this one is after me,” he patted the desk in front of him. “Hyung, you honestly didn´t have a clue? I´m pretty sure that with your insane instincts, you must have felt something off at least.”

“I did because there were times when I almost brought that rat into the institute. Of course I obeyed the regulations but it stayed in my memory. Still I would have never thought about this possibility,” I admitted. One thing is to have a feeling, the other is to pinpoint why.

“Let´s use her,” Hyukjae said all of a sudden and stood up, “what do you think?”

“That we should let Songim taste her own medicine!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! So finally the owner of the mysterious computer is revealed! It´s Song Jihyo! You might not remember anymore but I dropped some slight hints the first time I talked about her chracter. She tried to persuade Heechul to bring her to the institute to give Hyukjae his birthdate present. Also her image in RM is that of a smartass so I thought this would give her out immediatelly. I know, it wasn´t much but in the end, some of you got it. :D I´m wrapping the story up but it will take a lot of time to finish T_T Sorry, the story is too long. Still, thank you for reading and enjoy your Easter (we don´t really celebrate it but some of you do or at least have holidays since thursday :D) - PandaHero