HC 13

Catching Chimeras

 

 

“Pack your stuff, Hyukjae, we´re going home,” I told the blonde that was just washing the dishes from our breakfast.

“Home?” He turned around surprised but then his expression changed. “And where is that exactly?” He asked me coldly. Was that a rhetorical question or what?

“My house of course,” I answered and went to clean the living room a little.

“So we are going back as if nothing?” He asked again this time more calmly while drying his hands into the kitchen cloth.

“And what did you expect?” I grumbled not liking that coldness, it didn´t signal any good.

Hyukjae opened his mouth to answer but suddenly he stopped frowning. Something was off, even I could feel that. And this time it wasn´t coming from our awkward atmosphere. We heard footsteps outside but the person was running away from the hut. Still it was strange, you wouldn´t expect anyone here out of the main season. It couldn´t be a tourist so it must have been either a local or somebody else. But although the footsteps quieted down, the bad feeling only became stronger.

“Can you smell it?” Hyukjae asked me suddenly.

It woke me up from my thoughts and I began smelling the air. Burn? Don´t tell me… I looked toward the window only to spot thick smoke outside. ! The wooden hut was burning! That person must have set it on fire. I could clearly feel the heat and the sound of cracking wood became apparent. Even Hyukjae realised that and rushed for his bag. Good it was kept packed because we didn´t have much time.

“Give me your hand,” I ordered and the blonde let me take his hand.

We put on the shoes and were about to run out when of course we got stopped by the flames that became bigger during the time. Smartly the man set it at the door so we couldn´t escape that easily. We were lucky this didn´t happen during the night or the result would be much more fatal.

“What do we do?” Hyukjae panicked as the flames began crawling inside.

“Window,” I commanded and ran towards the bedroom. The window there was the biggest and furthest from the entrance. I made sure to never let go of Hyukjae´s hand, especially after I felt it shake desperately and tugged the boy behind me. I opened the door to the bedroom but to my chagrin the whole room was already in flames. That bastard used the fact that the room was closed and broke the window to ignite the fire here too. How could we have missed that? And how long this guy has been wandering around the hut without our knowledge? At first I thought he just wanted to scare us off but now it seemed like he really wanted to kill us. We were careless.

“Bathroom!” I turned around to look at Hyukjae. “Hyung, let´s go through the bathroom! The window is small but it surely can´t be burning. I took a shower not long ago, it´s humid there.”

“Alright,” I nodded and clasped Hyukjae´s hand more tightly. His idea should work and even if not, we didn´t have much time left for doubt. The flames maybe weren´t too spread yet but the heavy smoke was choking us already. My eyes were tearing and I could barely see, the blonde boy could tell so he took the lead. Either he had better eyes or knew the hut well enough to walk blind, nevertheless soon we were standing in the small bathroom.

As Hyukjae predicted, the humidity in the room didn´t allow flames to infiltrate the little space. And when I closed the door behind us and opened the small window, the smoke dispersed quickly. This was our chance to get out of here.

“You first,” I gestured Hyukjae to climb on the bath and jump down from the little window. But the look I was given almost made me throw him there with my own hands. It was heart-breaking, Hyukjae was too worried to let me stay here, probably remembering the incident from this Monday when I was trying to get up on the roof. “Your ankle is hurt, I can´t let you climb alone,” I reasoned quickly which did  the trick. You need valid arguments for this kid.

“But you have to come right away, okay?” Hyukjae warned but his irises still mirrored only worry.

“Of course,” I rolled my eyes to ease the situation, “now go before we end up as steamed Chinese dumplings in your summer hut´s bathroom.”

This time it was Hyukjae´s turn to roll his eyes on me but the sigh that left his lips afterwards signified his defeat. The blonde nodded and threw his bag from the window. I wonder if he forgot he had his laptop there too, never mind. Then he stood up on the edge of the bathtub so he had the window slightly above his stomach. I wanted to help him but surprisingly for a skinny guy, Hyukjae had some strength in his arms and was able to pick himself up. He put his left knee on the window pane, then his right foot and before I knew, he was outside. Now I get how he got on the roof.

“Hyung?” Hyukjae was already calling for me. Guess he´s alright.

“I´m coming!” I yelled back and began climbing on the bathtub too.

Unfortunately the white surface was still wet at the place I chose so it was no surprise that I slipped and fell into the tub. , that hurts. I hit my head, back and hipbone at the same time. I can´t believe Hyukjae had more luck than me. Well, I must have eaten his bad-luck with the cookies this morning. I heard the boy call for me again and thus I decided to try again. I could feel the room heating up and the smoke was getting into the room from under the door. I had to get out fast before it would be too late.

With that resolution I stood up again, my whole body hurt but whatever, and once again I put my foot on the edge of the tub. This time I already grasped the window pane with my hands so I wouldn´t fall down again if my wet shoes decided to continue with the slap-stick comedy. Luckily I was successful this time and thanks to my height, when I stood up on the edge I had the window pane on my stomach so I didn´t need to pull myself up. I simply laid my torso on the window pane after some elegant thrashing in the small opening; I managed to fall down on the wet grass. Fortunately it wasn´t high enough for me to hurt myself.

“Hyung!” Hyukjae kneeled next to me while I was sitting up. “You scared me! I thought you injured yourself there and would burn alive! The hut was crumbling and you were wiggling in that little window!” He cried and threw himself on me. After being so cold all the time, I´m not used to this emotional side of him.

I was about to kick him off when I heard a cracking noise. I turned my head to look behind me and I swear that all my blood got out of my body. Hyukjae wasn´t joking, how long exactly I´ve been in the bathroom? The roof of the wooden hut was on fire as well as the rest of the house and huge clouds of smoke were coming from all the windows. Is it possible for a building to burn so fast?

“Let´s go somewhere safer, Hyuk,” I told him although my whole body was shaking so greatly that I wasn´t exactly sure I would be able to go anywhere.

“I´m scared, hyung,” Hyukjae whispered into my ear and at that moment all my courage returned. There was only me right now to protect the boy and we didn´t know whether the arsonist wasn´t still somewhere close to us.

“I´m here, don´t worry,” I told him and made him detach himself from me. I looked at his face that was sporting a pretty big pout. I felt like a hero in the shining armour saving a damsel in distress, well a blond guy with wings that would pass for a fairy the most, but never mind. It wouldn´t ruin my heroic feelings.

“I worry exactly because you are here, hyung,” Hyukjae said bemused. You little, ugh!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! I guess the updates are going to slow down a little bit. It´s not that I don´t know how to continue, it´s just that the exams are ahead and I have to submit lots of essays now. Be patient with me, please :) Did you like the action by the way? :P Thank you - PandaHero