HJ 46

Catching Chimeras

 

 

“Lend me that USB too!” Heechul was sulking like a kid.

It was evening and we were sitting in our living room, yes I took the liberty to call everything in this house ´our´ or ´mine´, as it didn´t seem like I would move out of here until my final journey to the morgue. So as I said, I was sitting on ´my´ favourite red cushion with my laptop on the coffee table. I was carefully going through the documents I stole today from Song Jihyo.

“Or at least tell me what you found!” I sighed, the older detective wouldn´t give me time to work.

“Just wait a little, I will share later,” I shooed him off and tried to focus again. Numbers, names and codes. I had to sort these out and remember as much as possible.

“Hyukjae!” Heechul called again and hit me with the pillow. “You think I´m not curious?! I´m a detective!” He roared and threw another pillow at me. Gosh, he always hits me right on the head.

“I know!” I exploded when the third pillow made its way on the floor only after stopping by over my face. “I can´t give them to you, the least evidence on your computer, the better. And of course I will tell you but you have to let me read it first. Just go and make a dinner or something,” I answered irritated and fixed my hair huffing.

“You´re so sensitive today,” Heechul tsk´ed but still went to the kitchen. I resumed with my work but not even fifteen minutes had passed before the tall man was back with a plate of half-heartedly made sandwiches.

“Fine,” I rolled my eyes. The dinner looked awfully poor so I could at least get rid of that sulking face in front of me. “Surprisingly it turns out that her real name is Song Jihyo. Songim was used as a false name upon arriving to the ASC but since you are given another codename here, she decided to use Jihyo as to not confuse herself anymore and make it more difficult to find the dangerous documents.”

“I see, so you have to check, if the documents with the name Song Jihyo are the usual ASC documents with her codename or Likya ones with her real name. I guess there are no with the name Songim,” Heechul repeated to make sure of the reason of my slow work and confusion.

“Yep, also it´s apparent that Jihyo isn´t too big of a catch. Nothing that doesn´t concern her personally was entrusted to her. All the orders are only for her and there aren´t many new contacts either,” I continued a little dejected. Jihyo is a small fly.

“Of course, they had to take as many safety measures as possible for snoopers like you,” Heechul pointed at me with a smirk. I didn´t feel offended at all.

“And for her tasks, I will let you read them from my computer in detail but to sum it up, she just simply had to use the ASC to search for the chimeras on her list and watch out for any possibilities that the police caught up on the existence of Lykia.”

“Why are they looking for specific chimeras? Are there any clues?” Heechul asked me the question that was first on my personal list too.

“No, unfortunately,” I sighed. “As I said, she´s too low of a spy to get any proper information from her higher-ups.” I watched as the older detective leaned into his seat on the sofa with his arms crossed. He thought for a while with closed eyes and then, coming to a conclusion, he opened them again.

“Alright, so what were you planning behind my back? You didn´t think I wouldn´t notice?” Heechul suddenly smirked and I threw myself on the scattered pillows on the floor.

“You are horrible, hyung,” I whined and wiggled angrily in the pillows, “either I´m rusty or you´ve gotten even smarter than you had been before!” I protested. Heechul chuckled.

“None of that, I simply learnt how to read you, Fairy,” he winked at me and I groaned in annoyance, “now bring it on, Hyukjae.”

 

A week later everything was prepared for my surprise party. The plan was formed quickly but we had to wait for a good chance, we couldn´t be reckless anymore. But I was almost sure of our success as I had both Heechul and Shindong with me. Two detective veterans were just enough to handle the female spy. But I shouldn´t have underrated an agent that lasted years under sensitive policeman like Heechul without being caught.

I left the practical part of the trap to Heechul and Shindong. I´ve done already enough and I didn´t have much experience to complete a mission like that. There was this minor chimera incident on Monday and we were right in the middle of the investigation. As always Heechul divided the team into units and gave each a task to do. Since the incident happened a little further from Seoul, naturally we had to secure the area first and so Heechul ordered for all of us to go. We would drive there in two cars, JuMyeok, Minho and me in one and Jihyo with Shindong and Heechul in the other. The stage was set, she had nowhere to run in the closed space of the car.

I was sitting on the backseat of the black sedan and kept a check on the car behind me. Soon the gap between the cars widened and before I knew it, they were out of sight. That was a part of the plan, to give them some privacy to have a decent ´talk´. Some minutes passed and I felt very nervous for no reason, I couldn´t shake off that bad feeling. And then my premotion turned to be true as my phone started ringing in my pocket. I looked at the screen and there it was: S.O.S.

“JuMyeok hyung! Turn the car!” I ordered to the Chinese man. This was the very exact reason why I went in the other car and Shindong got involved instead. Somebody had to stay as the reserve in case something had happened. Now it turned out to be the case.

“It´s Heechul´s command. Let´s head back!” I repeated and the seriousness of my tone made the tall driver make a U turn.

“What´s going on, Hyukjae?” Minho asked immediately and I saw him shift the gun under his jacket.

“I got an S.O.S. from hyung a few seconds ago, that means something must have happened,” although stressed, I didn´t go to the details nor said anything that could endanger my teammates. But I felt like they should be warned. “The enemy could be somebody familiar, be careful once we arrive.”

“What do you mean?” JuMyeok asked in his accented speech. I kept silent, this was more than enough information.

“That´s Shindong hyung!” Minho suddenly noticed a body lying on the side of the road. Of course abruptly our car stopped and everyone ran to Shindong. Well, except for me.

I pushed back the image of the friendly detective sprawled on the ground. Instead I started looking around. The second police car wasn´t there but I haven´t seen them when we were coming back just now. They must have turned around and head back toward Seoul. No, they would get caught right away. Think, Hyukjae! You checked the map thoroughly last night, was there a side way? I couldn´t recall any and the time wasn´t on our side either. But then I heard it. A gunshot.

It had an echo? And then I finally got it. There was a bridge over the river only like four hundred meters back. Jihyo wasn´t trying to escape, she didn´t need to. She wanted to get rid of Heechul once she found out that he busted her. I cursed and like a madman started running towards the bridge. I heard calls from behind me but I didn´t even turn around, nothing mattered as much as Heechul did. I ran fast without stopping, even when my muscles started hurting, my lungs couldn´t keep up anymore and heavens started crying. It was now raining and the rain was becoming more and more heavy as I was nearing the bridge. But when I finally did reach it, I got the very exact picture I was expecting.

The car slid down from the road right before the bridge and was now parked slash knocked down by the pillar. It was a perfect place to hide because it couldn´t be seen from the road just like it was impossible to spot the car from the land. Next I noticed Song Jihyo who was standing by the driver´s door and had her gun in her hands, she was hidden from the rain under the bridge and creating the distinctive echo with her voice. Horrified I searched for Heechul. Fortunately I found him still alive but not quite doing well. He was forced to stand in the finder of Jihyo´s gun, on top of that in the water of the cold river. She wanted to shoot him in the water so the body would get lost. I wanted to do something but I couldn´t.

I didn´t wield a gun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Asa! Watch out for the Ace! After long time finally an action. Thank you for reading and also Happy Birthday Lee Hyukjae! - PandaHero