HJ 52

Catching Chimeras

 

 

´Be careful, this boy is like a fox!´

That´s how doctor Ha Donghoon warned his subordinates before he left the laboratory in order to report to his superior. I was very much interested in this superior but right now I felt like it would be the best to get out of this place. I wasn´t sure, if the police would be able to find me here in this base when I myself had no clue of my current location. And I was aware that it takes some time to gather men and the search warrant. The problem was that I had to undergo a throughfull check-up and in case I was found useless, they would dispose of me. They were so possessed by chimeras but once you were a failure, they treated you even worse than animals or even humans! I didn´t want to risk and so I was looking for an opening.

To my luck in the room were two average guys, guarding the door. I wasn´t sure but I guessed they were my kidnappers. I greeted them and they answered with a smile and even called me by my name. They must be it!

“Please, untie me,” I whined at the two laboratoriants, “I don´t do well when cuffed.” At that I pitifully glanced at the guards. The reaction came immediately as I noticed extreme guilt written all over their faces, they surely remembered the moment they let me fall down from the stairs. This was the exact reason I decided to act cute and polite towards my kidnappers from the very start. They were totally unsuspecting and soon I realised that they were chosen for their unrecognisable looks and not for their intelligence.

“We could do that, don´t you think?” The average guard number one asked his colleague.

“I guess, Hyukjae´s a wimp anyway,” the other said and although I felt offended, I pretended to be exactly that.

To my delight and great surprise, both of the guards left their important place by the door and replaced the laboratory workers. The smart guys from the lab didn´t look too happy about that but probably couldn´t argue with the guards. There were exactly four people that could stop me from escaping right now. Two in white coats that got pushed back and two that were currently taking off my cuffs. The doors were guarded by no one. From then on it was a piece of cake. At the best moment I rushed from my spot in the middle of the room and fired through the doors, the surprised occupants of the room were nowhere to be seen as I sprinted forward. I avoided two also shocked people on my way and continued without stopping, not even after the siren started screaming loudly to signal my escape. The rest and the vitamins gave my body new strength and I was almost like flying. I felt that it was strange to be this unusually lucky but I knew at the very last there would be somebody by the entrance, which I had to by the way find first.

But my lucky streak proved to be even shorter than that as I turned around the next corner and crushed into somebody else. We both fell down with me landing on top of the man. At first I couldn´t come to myself, I ran too fast, but when I finally managed to raise my head, I saw something unbelievable. There, right beneath me was the very person I dreaded to see the most.

“Hyukjae?!” Surprised Heechul exclaimed.

“Hyung! Oh god!” I was so happy that I couldn´t even describe the feeling. So in the end I just slumped back at him and gripped his clothes tightly.

“Yah! We don´t have time for that!” Heechul scolded and began picking himself up from the ground. His voice sounded as happy as mine and when I looked into his eyes, I could see the tears in the corners threatening to spill. Heechul stood up and pulled me on my feet, he brushed the dirt away from my knees and ruffled my hair. Then he grabbed my hand and began running, I´ve never seen him actually run. And this was also the moment I noticed Minho and Zhoumi covering us with guns in their hands. They came all for me? I felt like crying too but that had to wait, we needed to get to the entrance first.

But as expected, the siren was on for too long and we wasted too much time on the hallway. After like fifty meters we were encountered by armed guards. Heechul, still holding my hand, pushed me behind himself on instinct. In the end, the police was forced to drop their guns and put their hands up. Heechul raised his left hand together with mine and refused to let go no matter what. Behind the guards appeared another man, their superior probably.

“What´s going on here?!” He asked angrily and glared as us. He scanned all four of us and his stare stopped at me, he inhaled sharply through his nostrils and huffed. “What´s chimera doing on the hallway?!”

“We´re sorry!” I turned around and noticed the two guards now breathing hard and aiming their own weapons at as from behind. I gave them an apologetic glance but they only frowned at me. They were now of no use for me.

“Is this Lee Hyukjae?” The commander asked and doctor Ha Donghoon, who only now managed to come running nodded his head.

“We were just leaving, don´t bother with us,” Heechul with his rude mouth suddenly spoke up.

“Not so fast,” the commander snorted, “seeing this is Lee Hyukjae, you must be the famous Kim Heechul. Are these your men, detective?”

“Nice to meet you too, blabbermouth,” Heechul answered and I wanted to face-palm. This wasn´t the best way you handle your captors, armed ones on top of that.

“My name is Ok Taecyeon,” the tall commander didn´t let Heechul disturb his arrogant posture, “and I think you should be more careful, if you don´t want to be the source of a tragedy.”

Ok Taecyeon said with his deep and low voice as he slowly walked to one of the guards and took his gun. Then without hesitation pointed at Minho and shot his tight. Minho with painful groan slumped to the ground while holding his bleeding leg. Zhoumi crouched down next to him and Heechul from then on didn´t dare to move. It could have been for my sake but I was almost sure, they wouldn´t harm me. I could become the father of the new generation of chimeras after all.

“We could probably talk this out too,” Heechul immediately changed his tactics and that made the commander laugh. He was the type to enjoy his own power, that was easy to tell.

“Doctor, I´m leaving this to you but in an hour I want to see all of them in the main room,” Ok Taecyeon ordered to the poor doctor and left the scene. What an idiot, making a mess and leaving the cleaning to others.

“Those, who were on guard would go back to their places, the rest would accompany me and the guests to the medical unit!” Doctor Ha Donghoon was already used to his superior and was quick to make the important decisions.

Two guards were holding injured Minho, one was following Zhoumi and two me and Heechul. We couldn´t hold hands anymore, it would be too dangerous. Luckily the medical unit was closer than the laboratory and we could all finally take a little rest. Under proper surveillance of course. Only Minho was lying on the table and ready to have the bullet pulled out of his pained leg. The surgery took only a few minutes, the doctor was not only used to his superior but his superior´s punishments too. Ha Donghoon´s merry mood was long gone and he was letting one long sigh after another.

“Doctor Ha?” I spoke up once I noted that the wound was safely patched up.

“What is it Hyukjae,” doctor only sighed but still turned to me. I knew he was the talkative type of person, somebody who likes to interact with people. It must have been very boring for him down here.

“Can I keep asking?” I was sitting closest to the doctor and was looking up at him. Ha Donghoon´s lips turned a little up and he smiled at me.

“Aren´t you doing it already, hm?” He teased but I was sure, he would answer in this mood.

“The list, what´s the connection between the chimeras on the list?” I asked him expectantly, leaving him no space to avoid answering. The doctor looked at me and then at Heechul, who as I noticed was for some reason pouting childishly.

“You had it hard on you too today, huh,” he remarked and glanced back at me. Then he smiled widely until his eyes were just small crescent moons. “It´s good news, Hyukjae. The chimeras on the list are the successful experiments. We need your genes because you aren´t a failure, Hyukjae.”

Successful experiment? I´m not a failure? Does that mean maybe, that I´m not going to decay?  I was so scared to be a walking corpse, waiting for my time to rot. But this doen´s seem to be the matter anymore. Heechul hyung, I´m going to live!

“I´ve always wanted to live,” I whispered in the end.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Asa! So Hyukjae´s going to live! Come on, I wouldn´t let him decay, that was decided long ago. But that doesn´t mean he can´t drown or get shot or something, hehe. Thank you for reading and commenting! - PandaHero