HC 03

Catching Chimeras

 

 

I was lost, like completely lost. We were sitting in the kitchen with delicious food and even better tea in front of us. Unfortunately none of that was cooked by me but that was exactly the reason why it was so tasty. I couldn´t understand why the boy refused to eat, though. Only a spoiled brat wouldn´t eat something that was good and given to him for free. So of course I got angry and scolded him harshly. I believed he would be able to take it because I learnt he´s a strong and stubborn guy. He even tried to run away right in front of my eyes and when I slapped his bleeding knees he cursed like a real man should.

That´s why I was so surprised when he began crying all of a sudden. Crocodile tears kept sliding down from his pale cheeks and fell onto his lap. I´ve never heard a painful cry like that, not from a chimera in human-like state of mind to say the least. Only humans could feel the pain so deep in their hearts. But honestly I had no idea how to stop the wailing child, especially not when it was me who made Hyukjae cry.

“Um, you don´t have to eat it, if you aren´t hungry,” I said. Awkward, totally awkward. “I can reheat it for you later, heh.” I had to add stupidly only to face palm at myself.

“O-Okay,” I snapped my head to look at the stuttering male. I can´t believe he accepted my lame try to calm him down.

Hyukjae stopped crying as abruptly as he had started. He wiped his tears and nose with a tissue that was attached to the food delivery. I could watch in awe as he exhaled loudly and walked away to the living room. I guess he really wasn´t hungry then? C´mon Heechul-ah, of course he´s hungry and tired and everything else. You have to do something or else you´re getting it from Jungsu if he finds out. It´s not normal to start crying out of nowhere and stop abruptly as if you were a tap. , this is so complicated!

I stood up to follow after Hyukjae when my cat began meowing under my legs. I crouched down to pat it when I got a good idea. When my cat refuses to eat, I feed it snacks instead. It´s better than not eating at all. I rushed to the fridge to look for some snacks for Hyukjae. If it works on my cat, then it has to work on that butterfly too. Perfect! I smiled widely at my discovery; this will surely make him drool.

With the plate in my hand I quickly hurried to the living room but I almost dropped it when I saw Hyukjae. The boy was sitting on a cushion, he really is like my cats if he even uses their pillows, and had his black shirt rolled all the way up. He was opening and closing his clear wings. Sometimes fast and then he would slow down. The sun that would once in a while peek through the clouded sky was penetrating the transparent butterfly wings and at that moment I almost believed that I´ve never seen anything more beautiful in my life. Then the wings jerked again and folded on Hyukjae´s back only to unfold a second later again. Is he possibly stretching? What a strange chimera.

“Hyukjae?” I announced my arrival.

The blonde boy quickly folded his wings and covered them with the black shirt. Is it just me or has the room darkened? I only shook my head and walked to him. Hyukjae was biting his lip in nervousness and I understood he was scared of me. It´s better that way, though. I placed the plate on the coffee table next to him. He looked at me confused.

“My mom made it, it´s really good,” I told him simply and hoped that he would just like before understand my intentions without any explanation.

“What´s inside?” Hyukjae asked me instead. At first I wanted to bark something along the lines: ´Don´t look a gift horse in the mouth´, but changed my mind quickly. That wouldn´t be the best way to make him eat it. I decided to answer honestly.

“Chocolate and cranberries.” Hyukjae´s stare then shifted to the small cupcake on the plate next to him and one corner of his mouth slightly pulled up. Is he smirking or maybe smiling? Which is it?

“I´m allergic to most of the common berries except for strawberry and cranberry,” the blonde explained taking the plate into his hands. Is he going to eat it? Like really? “Thanks.”

“No problem, just make sure to eat at least that, okay?” I answered and after he nodded I went back to the kitchen to eat my ´real´ food.

But at least I learnt a few more new things about the boy. It´s okay to treat him like a cat. It´s okay to feed him sweets, if there aren´t any toxic berries included. It´s not possible to make him smile but he can at least smirk. And he´s definitely the most interesting chimera I´ve had a chance to encounter during my career. But still I hope Jungsu picks him up fast because I´m a terrible caretaker.

The rest of the day Hyukjae passed by looking out of the window. At first I thought he was reminiscing about his family but I started doubting my first guess. He didn´t look saddened at all, as if he pushed the memories away for now. Instead he had this strange intelligent and determined glint in his eyes. And when he went to reheat the food from this morning, I became suspicious. That little fox was planning something.

And sure in the evening I went to wash up. I took a shower but when I came out, the house felt somehow eerie. Hyukjae was maybe a quiet companion but his presence was surprisingly quite strong. So although I had only my underwear on, I decided to check the quiet house first. I had a bad feeling. Everything became more serious when I didn´t find Hyukjae´s things in the guest room. His shoes disappeared too and to my chagrin the last cupcake from the fridge too. That ! You aren´t the only one who likes my mom´s cupcakes!

I stormed out of the house, the only clothing items I took on my way were shoes and long brown coat. He couldn´t be too far. He doesn´t know this neighbourhood well and his knees are injured. He won´t get away if I have anything to say to it. Rushing to the garage, I pulled out my tuned bike and started the engine. The machine roared and in a moment I was already on the way out.

I was driving around and looking for Hyukjae´s blond hair but to no avail. I lost him, he was hidden somewhere in the darkness or maybe he was unlucky enough to get caught by a homeless drunkard or something. The boy was smart but he had a terrible luck.

I stopped by the bus and taxi stations and told them to immediately inform me, if the runaway kid with blonde hair stopped by. Fortunately they all assumed I was a desperate older brother and didn´t even question my lack of pants apparent from my knee long coat.

Three hours later I had to call it the day. It was completely dark outside and nobody has seen Hyukjae, not a single soul. While parking the bike I began preparing my speech for Jungsu where I would in a heart-breaking way explain the loss. I was just in the middle of my speech when I entered the house. But when I was taking off my shoes, I heard a noise. The TV was switched on? But it was off when I ran out of the house. Don´t tell me Hyukjae was all the time here. I almost got a heart attack when I saw him sitting on the cushion watching a show in the TV.

“Hyukjae?” I asked him. “You were here all this time?” The boy only nodded as if nothing and continued watching the show.

I went tiredly back to the main hall to get rid of the coat. I was about to slap myself for my stupidity when I noticed something. Hyukjae´s shoes were messed up. I noticed his habit to have everything neat and clean but the shoes he wasn´t even supposed to have on were lying on the floor. This small hint made me go and check the fridge and of course the cupcake was there but the tip of the cream was smeared a little. It could happen, if he packed it with him but in the end had to return it. Lastly I checked the bag in the guest room. All the things were neatly folded inside. But opposite to the shoes it was wrong. The stuff should be out on the chair or bed and not closed in the bag and prepared for leaving. Nice one, Hyukjae but you are still too short on someone like me.

I ran down to the living room and before the blonde could react I tackled him down. I pushed him on his back and he immediately bent upwards, rising his chest as to not hurt his frail wings. His arms were spread and he was breathing hard. I was sitting on his lap in just my underwear, ready to hit him or scold him when-

“Kim Heechul?!” Park Jungsu?!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! An update! :) Thank you for reading the story. As I said the Heehyuk pairing isn´t very common but I find strange perks in their relationship. They are very awkward together but in some way they seem intimate, also it´s apparent that they respect each other a lot what makes their relationship very emotional but elegant. Well, it´s just my opinion but a writer should have an opinion on sometimes irrelevant things to be able to make something entertaining (in my case to amuse myself, hehe). But still you´re welcome to enjoy the fun too, if you wish. Thank you and see you soon - PandaHero