HC 23

Catching Chimeras

 

 

I looked out of the window of my warm living room. It was slowly getting dark and the falling snow enabled me to see anything outside. I sighed and returned my attention to the paperwork in front of me. I didn´t care it was Saturday; all I wanted was to find out the culprit. It became my obsession to work on Lee Hyukjae´s case in my free time. A few days ago we got stuck and didn´t know into which direction to move on. Oh how annoying!

I was about to hit the table with my head when a loud knocking on my door stopped me from my attempt to hurt myself. At this hour it can only be Jungsu, if he brought me another kid then I´m kicking him away immediately. The day he brought the Fairy, my life turned upside down. I´m not repeating that. Grumbling I went to open the door but the person standing in the snow wasn´t Jungsu but someone totally unexpected.

“Hello, can I come in?” A familiar blonde mop of hair asked. I was speechless and the only thing I managed was to open the door wider so the visitor could enter. And as expected the blonde hurried out of the cold to the warm house. I closed the front door and locked it and then turned to the younger. The blonde took off his coat and put it on the hanger, his shoes were already neatly placed on the shoe rack and that little familiar habit made me wake up from my trance.

“Hyukjae,” I breathed and the boy turned to me. He was hesitating, not knowing what to do or say. It was all my fault, the way we parted was too harsh. “Can I hug you?” I didn´t know why I asked something like that honestly, it just felt right at that moment. Even Hyukjae was surprised.

“Yeah, I guess,” he answered awkwardly. It took me only about three seconds to rush to him and envelope his thin body tightly. He hasn´t changed since I´ve seen him and I was glad, I was so happy. Why was I so happy anyway? Gosh this child!

“Have you eaten?” I asked him when it seemed like he wouldn´t hug me back after all. I knew I had no right to feel disappointed; we did part on bad terms after all. Hyukjae shook his head and I let go of him only to run to the kitchen. I fumbled with plates and boxes of packed food from my mom. I was excited like a small kid at Christmas. Calm down, Heechul, it´s just Hyukjae and you have hardly four years left until you are thirty. Behave like an adult!

“Are you alright, hyung?” Hyukjae asked and only then I noticed him standing in the doorframe. I was wrong, Hyukjae did change. The morbid atmosphere he was enveloped by after his parents´ death was gone but instead of childish liveliness, there was something else in him. Maturity? Yeah, that´s the right term. Hyukjae matured too early, if even I could take him to the gaming centre again.

“I´m perfectly fine,” I grinned, “the dinner is ready. Here take it to the living room.” I pushed a plate into his hands and send him off. Then I opened the fridge and took out a box of strawberry milk. Smiling I followed him to the living room. But instead of inhaling my mom´s delicious food, the blonde was holding my paperwork in his hand. Some things never change.

“Is that my case?” He asked me surprised. “You are still working on this, hyung?”

“Yeah, it supplies me with sleepless nights,” I answered honestly, “Yah! Eat before it gets cold!”

Hyukjae chuckled and put down the file. He sat down on my kitty´s red cushion and began eating. I walked to the table and put the strawberry milk in front of him. Hyukjae´s eyes widened and he almost choked on the piece of meat.

“It isn´t the one I left here in fall, is it?” He asked me suspiciously.

“No,” I laughed, “I would buy a new one once in a while in case you visited.”

“But we can´t leave the institute,” Hyukjae answered and bent down to his food. I knew it!

“You managed to run away? Really? But it´s supposed to be impossible!” I shook my head. I thought he was on run but still I couldn´t believe it. I´ve been to the institute many times and knew how tight the security is. Escape was supposed to be impossible.

“Actually they will be here for me probably sometime around the morning,” Hyukjae sighed, “I exchanged speed for carefulness so I don´t expect to be able to stay here for too long.”

“So you didn´t plan on escaping from the institute, you just came to talk to me. Do I understand it right?” I asked him. I was quite surprised if that was true but indeed, Hyukjae wasn´t carrying any bag with him so he probably left all his stuff in the dormitory. Why would he risk so much for just talking to me? What´s going on?

“That is if you want to talk to me,” Hyukjae answered a little too quietly. Does he still think I hate him?

“Well, first you have to tell me how you got out and I will consider it,” I laughed. I didn´t know how to tell him directly that I was really glad he came back. But I hoped he would understand he was welcomed here. Before he was very good at reading me.

“Alright but don´t tell anyone, I might need it in the future again,” Hyukjae returned in a playful tone and I relaxed. He knew. “You remember my knee injury, right?” I nodded my head and a little pang of guild rushed through my body. “Well, it´s perfectly fine by now but nobody apart from you knows what had actually happened. I continued acting as if it would hurt once in a while,” Hyukjae smirked and took a bite of his food, “so today in the morning I pretended to be in pain and they let me rest in my room. I put on my clothes, I still had the cash I took out during my train travel,” another hiss at my side. The escape that ended with flames and shooting.

“How about the guards and dogs?” I asked remembering the scariest thing.

“The dogs are tied during the day so no accident could occur. They run free only at night when nobody is supposed to be out,” Hyukjae explained. It made sense. “The guards are mostly inside their little guard room, a small house at the entrance.” Yeah, I do remember a little white hut at the gates. “It´s cold today and I knew that although there are cameras all around, they won´t be watching the displays.”

“Why?” I asked stupidly. Hyukjae only grinned victoriously.

“Today is the match against Japan,” Hyukjae chuckled, “you might be the only Korean not watching.” Oh, really. I totally forgot, but I´ve never been interested in sports anyway. “Still I thought it would be too dangerous to walk through the main entrance,” Hyukjae continued with his escape story.

“The concrete fence is quite tall for what I remember, even if the cameras weren´t the problem anymore,” I shook my head.

“I was sure that sooner or later I would get into troubles so I made sure to exercise a lot. And secretly in my room I trained my legs, once my knee healed, and wings,” Hyukjae took another bite.

“Don´t tell me you flew over the fence,” I laughed at him.

“Something like that! I threw my jacket over and ran up towards the wall, I climbed as high as I could and flew the rest. I jumped down with the help of my wings too. The way to your house was from then on easy. I remembered the way and looked up the buses on the internet beforehand. I didn´t hide properly so they will soon find out I´m missing and that I came here.”

“You put so much effort into meeting me? I´m delighted,” I pretended to be emotional and cry.

“D-Don´t get so full of yourself. I-I just came to ask you,” Hyukjae grumbled suddenly embarrassed. He pouted and looked away, crossing his arms on his chest. A comfortable warmth spread inside my body. All of a sudden I felt like telling this to Hyukjae, he deserved to know.

“Fairy?” The pouting blonde glanced at me. “I missed you.” The full cheeks deflated and his eyes softened.

“Me too, hyung.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Good evening (or whatever time of the day you have)! Hyukjae´s and Heechul´s reunion! You ddn´t expect that, did you? :D Thank you for reading and commenting! So much love for this unusual couple! - PandaHero