HC 17

Catching Chimeras

 

 

I wanted to slam the door against that smiling face. I can´t believe I have to look at his face so early in the morning and even more I can´t believe Yongwoon´s betrayal. What I am talking about? Well, yesterday I got ratted out by my own friend. Yongwoon must have called Jungsu and told him that I´m not treating Hyukjae well. What followed was this tall Chinese standing at my door, who came to help me look after Hyukjae when I´m not at home.

“Zhoumi, that little Hyukjae is already seventeen,” I let the smiling guy inside. I didn´t have any other choice anyway. “But I´m not sure where that little scum is.”

“Yah, I´m not a scum!” Hyukjae called from the doorway and suddenly I felt like Zhoumi was right. Entangled in the long fluffy blanket with his blonde hair dishevelled, Hyukjae looked like a cute little boy.

“Yeah, whatever,” I rolled my eyes and went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee. I could see a headache coming.

Even before finishing my cup, I got the awaited call from Jungsu. I got scolded a lot and forced to go to work. Apparently Zhoumi was there to protect, or babysit, Hyukjae in my place. To be honest, I didn´t want to leave them alone. It´s not that I don´t trust Zhoumi´s skills or want to abort Jungsu´s authority, no it was the best decision for the boy to be kept guarded twenty-four seven. And no, I´m absolutely not worried about the Fairy! It´s just that they would ruin my house in my absence, yeah that´s where the nervousness comes from.

I parked my bike in the garage under the police station. I locked it properly, you never know what might happen in this damned building, and took the lift up to the fifth floor. This floor was the main office of the Administration for Special Cases and after stepping my foot out of the lift, I was welcomed by my busy co-workers. A few ´morning´s and ´hello´s and ´goodluck´s too, because I wasn´t heading towards my table but straight to Jungsu´s door.

“You´re late!” The older man called from the door of his office even before I managed to get there.

“Sorry, had to change chimera´s diapers,” I called back making my colleagues laugh loudly. But inwardly I cringed. What was wrong with that sentence? Diapers? Don´t tell me it was the word chimera. But yeah, what to say, I haven´t called Hyukjae a chimera for a long time now. I´m not usually like this, still it would feel strange to start treating him like an animal again after calling him human so many times.

“Sit down,” Jungsu ordered and I slipped into his office to take a seat in one of the expensive black leather chairs. Comfortable, should I buy one home? “And explain to me, how bad it must be that you got reported.”

“Yongwoon was overreacting,” I smiled at my boss that was standing in front of me, leaning against his table with his arms crossed on his chest. “I´m not beating the Fairy or anything,” I tried to shoo the issue just like that.

“This isn´t a laughing matter, Heechul,” Jungsu frowned and I knew he wouldn´t flip into his friendly personality any time soon. “We checked the burnt hut properly and even the incident on the highway,” he shook his head. “Our enemy is stronger than we thought. Nothing links together, we don´t have any clues whatsoever.”

“What? But that´s not possible with that entire ruckus we caused,” I couldn´t believe it. Weren´t there any footprints around the hut after the rain? Or a lighter maybe? And I even hit the silver car with my gun, there must be something.

“That´s it, it just doesn´t make sense. Every possible suspect has an alibi and many leads got destroyed by the police investigation that took place there before us, those guys never learn,” Jungsu hit the table with his hand. He too was angry.

“So what´s my task then?” I asked him seriously.

“To protect Lee Hyukjae of course. And if you manage to find any clues, let the investigators know. Now go back home, you are dismissed,” he pointed towards the door frowning, “and this is your last chance. If I get any other news that you are hurting Hyukjae, you are going to sort folders for the rest of your career!”

I could only dumbly nod and escape from the room. I´ve never seen Jungsu this serious about a case before. The way he treats Hyukaje is different from the way he treats other chimeras, be it children or adults. Maybe he can feel it too, that Lee Hyukjae is different.

On my way home I stopped by a restaurant and made them pack me some food for lunch. I didn´t have time to visit my mom recently and so my fridge was lacking her boxes of packed food. I have to ask her to give me a little more now, that there is another stomach to fill in my house. I slowly drove home, swearing at the thick fog that refused to disperse since yesterday´s evening. I parked the bike and took the plastic bags with the still warm food with me inside.

“I´m home!” I called but nobody heard me. It was to be expected when the noise coming from the living room shouted me down completely. What the hell is going on there? I left the bags next to my shoes at the entrance and went to check the living room.

“So cute!” Hyukjae cried while holding his stomach and laughing silently. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and he was pointing at something. I followed his arm to find it pointed at the tall Chinese that was standing in front of the TV with my Nintendo stick in his hand. He was doing something I identified as dance only thanks to the name of the game he was playing.

“Oh, hyung, you´re back already?” Hyukjae noticed me first. “Isn´t that cute?” He pointed to Zhoumi again who was embarrassed to get caught like that.

“What is cute about that?” I didn´t understand his excitement.

“You don´t think so? He´s dancing with that huge body, those long arms,” he laughed again. Well, at least he´s laughing, although I find it absurd.

“Uh, well,” Zhoumi cleared his throat, “you are here so I´ll return to the main office,” he said in his broken Korean. “But I´ll be on stand-by so call me whenever you have to leave, sir.”

“Alright, thanks,” I nodded and went to collect the bags with food. We better eat it before it goes completely cold.

“Bye, Zhoumi hyung!” Hyukjae kept waving his hand until the tall guy disappeared in his own car. Gone, finally.

“Hyuk, I bought lunch. Aren´t interested?” I called from the kitchen but it took Hyukjae a little longer to get to the kitchen. Wasn´t he hungry? But when he came, I had my answer. I completely forgot about his hurt knee, I should have brought it to him to the living room.

He sat down to the table and I handed him a bowl and utensils. I unpacked all the food and put it on the table, it was almost a feast. I glanced at Hyukjae who seemed deep in thoughts again. I just hope he isn´t planning another escape. The last one almost cost us a life.

“You can,” he suddenly said satisfied with his decision. Can what? “You can call me Hyuk.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! So now you know, who the visitor is. There was too much action recently so something a little more heartwarming was needed, don´t you think so? Thank you for reading a everything! I´m sorry for the irregular updates. Good night (or have a nice day) - PandaHero