HC 57

Catching Chimeras

 

 

The moment I got hit by the bullet from the back, my breath has been knocked out of me. I let out a surprised scream and my legs gave away. I desperately tried to catch Hyukjae when my grip loosened, but it didn´t work and I found myself on the cold wet ground. The hallway was pitch black and I could still hear my faded scream echoing in the walls.

“Heechul!”

The deadly silence was interrupted brutally by Hyukjae´s painful cries. He kept chanting my name endlessly and once his cold fingers even managed to touch my right cheek. But then he was pulled back and the whole group hurriedly continued moving forward. The loud cries got exchanged for muffled sobs and it didn´t take too long before it was only me alone in the dark tunnel.

When I was sure that there was nobody around, I rolled on my back and tore open my black shirt. Beneath the shirt was my favourite vest, bullet-proof and especially designed to be as unnoticeable as possible. I thanked myself for always being prepared and harshly opened the tight vest to take a deep breath. My whole ribcage hurt like crazy and I didn´t know how long I was lying there and catching my breath. I got rid of the crumpled vest because it would be in the way for me only. Now that I was back among living, I had to act fast. Hyukjae was gone and who knows what he would do, when he´s alone. He might be reckless and end up hurt, if I´m not quick enough.

I grabbed the cold wall and pulled myself up on my wobbly legs. I took a few deep breaths and began walking fast back to the entrance of the tunnel. It was dark and I couldn´t see absolutely anything, I had to slide my hand through the wall to be able to keep the direction. The tips of my fingers were scratched but I was almost there, I could hear muted voices. And then I stopped abruptly, the metal door was right in front of me. I tried to open them but I couldn´t find the handle in the darkness.

“Press the big button!” I yelled and started banging on the door. Why was I like that? I knew perfectly well, who was behind the door right now. It couldn´t have been anyone else but Park Jungsu and his best of the best ASC agents.

As expected, it took the smart policemen only a few seconds before the wide door began opening. I realised that not only the tunnel but the whole base was covered in darkness, the agents were pointing at me with their flashlights, blinding me.

“Yah! I can´t see, idiots!” I scolded the poor policemen that thought I was one of the Likya group.

“Heechul, where is Hyukjae?!” Jungsu stepped to the front with worried face.

“They took him somewhere, I was knocked down so I couldn´t follow. Let´s hurry,” I answered him seriously and after taking in my dishevelled state, Jungsu started giving out his orders.

“Give Heechul a gun and a flashlight. The agents that aren´t needed to secure the area, go with Heechul. I will return to our Sokcho office and assist you from above. Here, take my phone,” Jungsu said and handed me his mobile. Then he grabbed my shoulder and squeezed it lightly.

“Bring him back,” he said sincerely.

“Even if I had to die, Jungsu,” I stared into his eyes with determination that exceeds any other.

“You better come back too,” the leader sighed and patted my back.

“Well, if I have a choice then of course,” I joked and inhaled sharply. I was nervous and antsy.

Jungsu only nodded and stepped back. The agents started moving and I was given the command over the small group of policemen and with the flashlight in one hand and gun in the other, I led them into the tunnel once again. With the light our progress was much faster but I knew that Hyukjae and the others were far ahead of us. My body was filled with adrenaline and worry and thus it was easy for me to force my muscles to work harder. I just hoped that everything would be over quickly and I would be able to take a good rest. With Hyukjae on the sofa for the best.

“Sir, we´re nearing the end!” One of the agents that went ahead to check the front of the tunnel came running back.

“Alright, everyone be careful,” I instructed. The last I needed were more accidents.

At the end of the tunnel were stairs that led upstairs. But as soon as the agent opened them slightly, a bullet swiftly flew in the air and almost killed the poor guy. The guards were behind the door, making sure to slow us down enough for the higher-ups and Hyukjae to get away. The situation was to say the least unfortunate. The time was what we needed the most right now.

“There can be two guards the most,” I said remembering the group of people I had been a part of before they shot me in the back. “They are outnumbered but they have better position. Any sniper among you?” Three men raised their arms.

“Any volunteer?” The hands went down in an instant. I sighed, I will have to do it myself then.

“I will do it!” I looked behind me to identify the hero, I had a pretty good idea already. “I will join the guys in the hospital after,” he added a little joke and I laughed heartily.

“Thank you, Zhoumi,” I nodded my head and patted the brave Chinese on his back. The reason I took this guy into my team was his enthusiasm after all and he wasn´t a bad agent either. On the other hand, Zhoumi was very good.

The tall man lied down on the stairs and prepared his gun. I opened the door for him slightly and immediately Zhoumi found himself in the shower of bullets. But he didn´t panic and calmly focused on his enemy. One straight shot and the sound of shooting quieted in half. I watched Zhoumi once again focus but as he was about to pull the trigger, a bullet pierced his upper right arm. Zhoumi roared in pain but to my shock his gun was still aiming at the enemy´s vital point. Snap! And after that it was quiet.

“Good job,” I told my crying friend. “Somebody stays here and looks after my subordinate. Call for help from the bunker,” I ordered and carefully climbed out.

My eyes immediately widened. I was almost sure that the escape route would be something like a canal or an asphalt driveway. Instead I found myself standing in the middle of the forest, probably somewhere around Seorak-san. I had no idea in which way they headed or where I even was. All my previous hopes and energy got suddenly out of me and I felt lost and desperate. I felt useless and depressed. How am I supposed to find Hyukjae now? They will lock him up in another basement or ship him to another country and then what? I won´t ever see him again! Forget about the new generation of chimeras, I can´t live without this single one.

My tired legs called for a breather and I didn´t protest when my knees hit the soft forest ground. I squeezed my eyes tightly and then opened them again. It was still only afternoon but the thick forest hardly let any sunlight inside. Or was it because it was cloudy? I hoped it wouldn´t rain, Hyukjae was wearing only blue pyjamas. Wait! Blue pyjamas! I must have forgotten that there is still one big ally on my side.

“Everybody!” I called at the agents. “Look around, if you can find any clues about which way they might have went. Especially,” I smirked, “look for pieces of blue cloth!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Asa! Sorry, I didn´t manage to update yesterday. Makes it more thrilling, though. :D Well, Heechul´s alive of course and we are almost finished with the story! But don´t let your guard down, somebody´s going to die... Thank you for reading - Panda Hero